Thread: CHANGES YOU THINK ARES/SGN SHOULD MAKE.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post

I'm with others in that maybe the whole chit system and logs are a bit too clumsy. You could use dials for half of those recording functions and do away with chits I think, or have multiple ship logs that can be photocopied and written on (a la Wooden Ships and Iron Men and many other games).
    Perhaps the whole chit system came from an essentially board game background (vs. miniatures). My gaming is primarily with miniatures oriented people and players have commented on the profusion of chits. One practical reason to switch to the paper logs is the extra table space required for the ship mats. I think the pictures of Bob's Battle of Lissa game convinced me to switch, at least for larger (convention) games.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Perhaps the whole chit system came from an essentially board game background (vs. miniatures).
    I think that is probably true. When I used to play lots of board wargames, I was somewhat miffed with the ones that required paper logs (especially those that didn't come with a pad of sheets included), or really any bookkeeping that wasn't represented by tracks or chits on the gameboard. For small, casual games (which, I guess, is a good chunk of SoG's customer base), it may give a better feel to have no disposable elements, and no need to print/xerox/prep stuff before you start playing. In practical terms, however, the paper logs make a lot of sense, especially if you go much beyond 2 ships.