Thread: Interesting photo-43 The Russian flagship TSAREVITCH passing HMS VICTORY, ca. 1915.

Default Interesting photo-43 The Russian flagship TSAREVITCH passing HMS VICTORY, ca. 1915.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

only hundred years ago...
    thanks for the interesting link. Amazing photos there.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And _Tsesarevitch_ wasn't even close to state-of-the-art at the time -- it was a pre-dreadnought design from 1899.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Daniel's posting of this photo reminded me to check the Atlantic Magazine website to see if the "War at Sea" photos had been released yet. They have: http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/wwisea/

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Daniel and Jim, thanks for posting. I was unaware of the purpose of the dazzle camouflage.

Here's a unique dazzle pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage):

Name:  Dazzle_camo.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  31.3 KB

Is it me, or does it look like something an album cover artist would have drawn in the late '60s, early '70s?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the link to those photographs, Daniel.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Daniel and Jim, thanks for posting. I was unaware of the purpose of the dazzle camouflage.

Here's a unique dazzle pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage):

Name:  Dazzle_camo.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  31.3 KB

Is it me, or does it look like something an album cover artist would have drawn in the late '60s, early '70s?
    I missed that Atlantic link Daniel put at the top of his post? The image of the ship overwhelms the page.

And yes that dazzle scheme looks like it could have come off the Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band album.

What is interesting about the photo is the apparent size of the Victory which must be half to one Km in the distance compared with the pre-dreadnought in the foreground. The Victory at 200 feet above the water to mast top and 220+ feet in length appears to dwarf the TSAREVITCH even though it is 330+ feet long. Tricks of perspective no doubt

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Fantastic photos and link! Thank you for sharing!

I can see Steam Punk elements in the Russian ship design.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Is Steam Punk on the decline? I did not see as much at Origins this year. I realize, though, I was not walking around as much.

I enjoy a lot of the Steam Punk aesthetics.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Is Steam Punk on the decline? I did not see as much at Origins this year. I realize, though, I was not walking around as much.

I enjoy a lot of the Steam Punk aesthetics.
    I didn't see the big Leviathans display the had last year. I know they were having growing pains following up the product line.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I didn't see the big Leviathans display the had last year. I know they were having growing pains following up the product line.
    While I expect Catalyst Game Labs would deny that Leviathans is dead at the very least it's in a coma and not likely to be awakened any time soon.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think we would enjoy Leviathans, so I am sure it won't be around long. It seems like too often I wait to jump in, only for the games to go out of print.

So off to Coolstuffinc to order Ghost Stories, Eldritch Horror, and Heroes of Normandie.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

_Leviathans_ Sucked Out Loud -- it's essentially the "Microsoft" business model for gaming: One can only play the game with the Company-Produced Minis, the Company-Produced Dice, the Company-Produced this-that-and-the-other. I took one look at it, and started singing "16 Tons", it was so blatantly an attempt at "the Company Store". Not to mention _Space: 1889_ is a far-superior system in all aspects, and is available for a pittance.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Catalyst: Where Otherwise Good Games Go To Die. Frankly, I suspect the extent of their real vision is whatever Battletech licenses they still have...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Catalyst: Where Otherwise Good Games Go To Die. Frankly, I suspect the extent of their real vision is whatever Battletech licenses they still have...
    I have to agree at this point, although their "The Duke" tile game is rather fun and doing pretty well. Shadowrun is also doing OK, but Battletech is still the fallback IP for them.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, and they publish Poo!, which is a so-stupid-it's-cute little card game... WHEN it's available, and it can be YEARS between runs. Great for pre-teens with a bathroom-humor streak... or Chris. :p :D

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yeah, and they publish Poo!, which is a so-stupid-it's-cute little card game... WHEN it's available, and it can be YEARS between runs. Great for pre-teens with a bathroom-humor streak... or Chris. :p :D
    Eh -- for Second-Form-Toilet-Humor gaming, I stick with _PHART!: The Dispersing_.... :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

I have the Leviathans starter set. Not a bad game, I enjoyed it. Very expensive and Chris is right about the components being proprietary.

I think we would enjoy Leviathans, so I am sure it won't be around long. It seems like too often I wait to jump in, only for the games to go out of print.

So off to Coolstuffinc to order Ghost Stories, Eldritch Horror, and Heroes of Normandie.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sue and I are just getting into Battletech. I picked up the starter set and an accompanying hardback - more thorough rules. She played an introductory game at Origins. I played it in the early '90s when I was in the service. I remember it being quite fun. It seems that both of us enjoy such tactically oriented games.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sue and I are just getting into Battletech. I picked up the starter set and an accompanying hardback - more thorough rules. She played an introductory game at Origins. I played it in the early '90s when I was in the service. I remember it being quite fun. It seems that both of us enjoy such tactically oriented games.
    When I played Battletech, back in the Dawn of Time, there was both a tactical level and a strategic level to the game that gave lots of enjoyment. FASA's detail was exceptional and we had a great time with the various political 'Houses'. Even did a parody of House Liao (House Luau) that the folks at FASA found entertaining at a GenCon in the 80s.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In the recesses of my mind are memories of cardboardish minis, several different box sets, and some books with technical breakdowns. I don't recall much in the way of strategic elements; I think our group basically played one-offs. I look forward to playing again - more out of a general memory of fun than anything specific. Sue is looking forward to painting the minis as well.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

In the recesses of my mind are memories of cardboardish minis, several different box sets, and some books with technical breakdowns. I don't recall much in the way of strategic elements; I think our group basically played one-offs. I look forward to playing again - more out of a general memory of fun than anything specific. Sue is looking forward to painting the minis as well.
    There was a strategic board game called the Succession Wars. I still have it down in the vaults. If you're getting back into the game you might want to peruse the old stuff before you go on to Catalyst Game Labs take?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Succession_Wars
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Be sure to get one of the first-editions of _Technical Readout 3025_, with the 'Mechs CGL would rather we didn't talk about. >:)

[Aside: I've actually met the "David Levine" written of in TR3025 1st ed -- need to remember to bring it to the local con so he can autograph it. :) ]

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Be sure to get one of the first-editions of _Technical Readout 3025_, with the 'Mechs CGL would rather we didn't talk about. >:)

[Aside: I've actually met the "David Levine" written of in TR3025 1st ed -- need to remember to bring it to the local con so he can autograph it. :) ]
    Are you referring to the legal disputes and the 'unseen' mechs, or the Ostroc mess? The Marauder is still one of my favorite heavy mechs, but they can't use the image that was my go to mech in the 80s.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the links, Jim. I was just looking at them. How I wish I did not take a gaming hiatus.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Are you referring to the legal disputes and the 'unseen' mechs, or the Ostroc mess? The Marauder is still one of my favorite heavy mechs, but they can't use the image that was my go to mech in the 80s.
    The former; IMSMC, the only mess I know of with the _Ostroc_ is its being 1 ton overweight, and that was fixed.

(I WANT MY _SHADOW HAWK_ BACK, DAMN IT! :) )

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The former; IMSMC, the only mess I know of with the _Ostroc_ is its being 1 ton overweight, and that was fixed.

(I WANT MY _SHADOW HAWK_ BACK, DAMN IT! :) )
    Yes, was always a favorite, but then so was the Warhammer. :)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Yes, was always a favorite, but then so was the Warhammer. :)
    _Warhammer_s, like all the original heavy 'Mechs, were Rubbish -- when a unit can't fire both its main guns and walk without overheating spectacularly... well, let's just say my _Shadow Hawk_ gave new meaning to "punching above its weight". Heck, I even took out an _Atlas_ without taking much damage in return....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

_Warhammer_s, like all the original heavy 'Mechs, were Rubbish -- when a unit can't fire both its main guns and walk without overheating spectacularly... well, let's just say my _Shadow Hawk_ gave new meaning to "punching above its weight". Heck, I even took out an _Atlas_ without taking much damage in return....
    lol. Well, we only took the Warhammer's to cold climate planets or made sure we fought waste deep in water. j/k

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Boys, boys... do we need a thread split? :p

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Boys, boys... do we need a thread split? :p
    What?! You can't see the mech standing in the water just to the stern of the Victory? Oh, alright. . .I'll stop. And back on topic here's another WW1 photo that I found, which I believe is accurate?

Name:  HMAS_Australia_HMS_Victory.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  31.4 KB

Link is from here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...MS_Victory.jpg