+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement Foremast

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

Default Replacement Foremast

I thought I'd give this a try. Haven't had one printed yet, nor have I double-checked the measurements.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/20742...000-scale.html

$4 plus post for a foremast! It's the old problem off trying to build a car by buying all the parts individually...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

I didn't say it was the cheap fix, that's for sure. I'm going to wait until their next sale so I can bundle a bunch of stuff and save some money. And their shipping prices makes buying single items painful, I will agree.

Also, if anyone is interested, I could make a set with multiples. That would drive the cost down a bit.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

If you have not dealt with 3D printed parts before there can be considerable clean up involved, it will all depend on the quality of the machine they are using. Even with a very high quality machine there is still clean up. I have run parts on a high quality printer like the stratasys connex 500 in the past and there is still a degree of cleanup. The sanding cleanup alone on a part this small could take out some of the details. At any rate that is my two cents, I'd just want to make sure that what you would be purchasing is going to be exactly representative of the image they are using to sell the parts with no added cleanup.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

CSADN had suggested that we should try to put a bug in Keith's ear about a metal-mast upgrade set...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A multiple set is a good idea because most people seem to have had two or three broken masts and there is always the possibility of future damage. What diameter are the masts themselves, please?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

I'll double check. I took the diameter from the table someone had posted about mast diameters.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I have bought some good things though Shapeways but I have to say I absolutely HATE their search engine. Whatever I ask it to search for I have a HUGE amount of completely irrelevant crap to death through. I wish there was someway to streamline it.

+ Reply to Thread