Thread: 1848 Tops'l Schooner, the revenue cutter "Californian"

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default 1848 Tops'l Schooner, the revenue cutter "Californian"

While I was visiting HMS Surprise over the weekend I was pleased to discover another reconstructed vessel, the 1848 tops'l schooner "Californian", the original used as a West Coast revenue cutter. Not Napoleonic, but as I'm making a few unrated vessels to augment my Ares fleet, I found many of the details on this schooner very helpful. I have posted more images on my Blog:

http://horseandmusket2.blogspot.com/...ue-cutter.html

As compared to say HMS Pickle, 8 x 12 pounder carronades, Californian has gun ports for 5 per battery, but only 4 brass guns currently mounted plus 2 swivels. The schooner sails every Sunday and does fire its guns apparently. I intend to return and sail in the Californian soon.

The masts and rigging look similar to a Napoleonic tops'l schooner. However the Californian is not flush-decked and has a small quarterdeck.

Californian has a gross tonnage of 130 tons, 93ft 6in deck length and 145 ft sparred length, beam of 24 ft and 9ft 5in draft.
    Pickle had a tonnage of 127 tons, 73 ft length, 20 ft beam and 9ft 6 in depth in the hold.

Name:  Californian.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  132.6 KB
    Last edited by mdavis41; 06-09-2014 at 14:42.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nice shot. Really shows off the rigging quite well.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 06-09-2014 at 18:39. Reason: typo

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very cool, Michael. Nice photos on your blog. The one of the mast made me think of the discussion here on how to strengthen masts with the tube sticking a bit out of the hull. Thanks for sharing.

Yes she is a nice ship. I have a crew shirt from Californianwhen she was on the East Coast for a big tall ship event. Sometimes crews swap shirts like footballers! She is similar in appearance to Pride of Baltimore, which is a replica of a Napoleonic era tops'l schooner, and Amistad. Although Pride does not have a quarterdeck. They are all of the "Baltimore Clipper" schooner design for fast coastal trading and of course privateering!