Thread: Permanaently Mounted Ship Miniatures

Default Permanaently Mounted Ship Miniatures

This post is going to make many of you wince.

I decided to permanently mount 1 ship to represent each side of all my ship models. Since I have more the 2 of every ship pack (except the KS exclusives) this wasn't a problem. One of the issues I was running into with game set up saw mating models and base card and ship logs, and assembling it all.

This still left me with five 3rd Rate SoL for each empire, and multiple frigates for each Empire for each class of ship that are not permanently mounted, for use with customized ship cards.

On the fire few, I used double sided scotch tape to afix the ship base card. I quickly found this wasn't really neccessary. I thin applied the gel type super glue around the ship post. If you used to much is squeeze out from under neath the model. I pressed the models down firmly (some of the ships never fit down to the base), this holds the clear base top down with only a little rattle is some cases.

Do not put the ships away until about 24hrs after gluing. If you do, it will cloud the clear plastic cover on the base, and can place a residue on the model. As long as drying occurs in a well ventilated area this won't happen.

The ships are now ready to use right out of the box.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Bob, whatever works for you is what you should do.

I gave up thinking about resell value awhile ago. I bought this stuff to use, and hopefully will do so for decades. By the time I will sell them, I would rather give them away.

I am using a bin I found at JoAnn's in which I can store each ship with its card, ready to go.

This morning, I have been marking my maneuver decks and sleeving them. I am storing them by maneuver deck as opposed to storing them with their respective ships. This way, I don't have to use every single maneuver deck, keeping many in storage for later use.

Who knows what system I will use in a couple of years after having more experience lugging this stuff around.

Eric,

I agree, re-sale value to me is 0. I never sell anything. Maybe I should, but just can't seem to part with gaming stuff. I tossed 30 Bookshelf games when I moved to St. Louis, and have regretted it ever since. Unfortunately we had a weight limit and had to get rid of a lot of stuff I later wish I had held on to. Maybe that's why I'm so hesitant to get rid of anything.

But another think, I didn't care for the way the ships alway moved on the bases. Not an issue anymore. I know others have fixed this issue with magnets, but too much effort and cash to do the same thing a little glue will fix.

I was using the same Joann hinged boxes, but I don't think their going to work now. I'm still using those boxes for the extra ships, but for the glued ships will need an uncompartmented box.

Bob

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

When Sue and I moved, I gave all my war-games (a lot, I mean, a lot) to a hobby shop, thinking my gaming days were over - it was 1996. I returned to gaming a few years ago, and have bought many of those games on ebay for more than I care to think about. Now with new games coming out, some of those older ones I repurchased I am going to part with because I much prefer later renditions, and given the lack of time to play all I want ….

I am impressed with much of the new design philosophy, rules, and components.

Funny how these things go.

I did pretty much the same thing. I repurchased some of the games I tossed, not all. And have invested in many new ones. When I was younger I liked games that took 8-12 hours, the simulation type games. But I also like the new quick play philoshy from games like Bolt Action, WoG and SoG. They are fun without extreme amounts of over complication.

I quit gaming around 1999 and spent 13 years doing youth work and volunteer work with the scouts and Civil Air Patrol. Finally laid all that aside and came back to gaming. It's funny how many similar storys are out there. People left gaming and then returned after long absence. I've had a lot of hobbies in my day, ham radio, model trains, plastic model building, but wargaming has always been the hobby I enjoyed most.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm reliving my childhood at the moment too - 20mm Burma WW2 using the same Airfix kits and figures I made 30+ years ago :)

David, sounds like fun, what rules will you use?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Bolt Action, most likely

BoB, I hope you will not regret this desicion.

There is a higher risk for damage of the models while playing if they are that fixed to the bases.

The most important point for me is: We really often need to get of the ship from the base to determine wind direction, fire angles to near enemy ships and possible raking shots.

A very fun infantry game system!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm reliving my childhood at the moment too - 20mm Burma WW2 using the same Airfix kits and figures I made 30+ years ago :)
    I have used a couple of the Airfix Jungle Outpost kits for Vietnam War games, making the houses ground level. Helps make a great jungle village.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

They are your ships so you should do what works for you, which is especially true as you clearly use them for gaming (not stored away hoping they will appreciate in value). Enjoy!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Will you be posting pictures to your blog?

When I was a kid, I had a huge army man collection - all types of nationalities - in 1/32 and 1/72 scales if memory serves me correctly. I think of all my toys, these might be the ones I regret passing on the most; at least these would be the ones I would be most apt to use today. What 10 army men, a couch, and an imagination could do for hours. Those were good days.