Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Folks,

I am just now catching up on the solo campaign and rules.

I want to clarify something regarding victory and ability points. There are two sets of points, one for the scenario (victory) and one for the campaign (ability). The scenario victory points are determined by the scenario writers as a means to help players gauge how well they played a given scenario, to help players determine scenario-based priorities, etc. These can be set to any numbers the scenario writers deem useful. Campaign ability points are outlined in the campaign rules. These remain consistent throughout the campaign, and are the points reflected in the rosters and used for gaining captain abilities.

Keeping these separate should ease any burden on a scenario writer regarding setting up victory conditions for a given scenario, while providing a mechanism for captain improvement over time as captains gain experience via multiple engagements and the accomplishment of multiple strategic objectives. It provides a measure of consistency between scenarios regarding how much a captain receives for successfully doing similar things. It precludes a situation in which a captain can effectively gain a new ability after each scenario due to points set by the scenario writers. For example, if each scenario writer gave 10 points for accomplishing a strategic goal, and it takes 10 points to gain an ability ...

In the AAR tallies, all you will need to state is if a given captain captured a ship, successfully accomplished a strategic goal, etc. I will award points, then, based on the campaign ability point rules.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thanks.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I am just now catching up on the solo campaign and rules.

I want to clarify something regarding victory and ability points. There are two sets of points, one for the scenario (victory) and one for the campaign (ability). The scenario victory points are determined by the scenario writers as a means to help players gauge how well they played a given scenario, to help players determine scenario-based priorities, etc. These can be set to any numbers the scenario writers deem useful. Campaign ability points are outlined in the campaign rules. These remain consistent throughout the campaign, and are the points reflected in the rosters and used for gaining captain abilities.

Keeping these separate should ease any burden on a scenario writer regarding setting up victory conditions for a given scenario, while providing a mechanism for captain improvement over time as captains gain experience via multiple engagements and the accomplishment of multiple strategic objectives. It provides a measure of consistency between scenarios regarding how much a captain receives for successfully doing similar things. It precludes a situation in which a captain can effectively gain a new ability after each scenario due to points set by the scenario writers. For example, if each scenario writer gave 10 points for accomplishing a strategic goal, and it takes 10 points to gain an ability ...

In the AAR tallies, all you will need to state is if a given captain captured a ship, successfully accomplished a strategic goal, etc. I will award points, then, based on the campaign ability point rules.

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thanks.
    Thanks for the clarification. I've updated my AAR, removing any scenario points and simply indicating that the one captain did capture a ship. No ship losses with crews both under 50% casualties so no penalty there. Other than sinking the ship or taking it as prize I don't think we had any other victory requirements?