Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Additional rules have been added.

We need to devise a mechanism to determine if a surrendered ship results in the captain being captured. One possibility is for surrenders to automatically result in capture. If the capturing ship, in turn, surrenders, the captain is freed. Another possibility, especially if other ships are in the area and able to engage the victorious ship, is for the first ship to touch the surrendered ship and remain there the following turn, secures the surrendered ship's captain. The ship basically foregoes maneuvering in the securing turn as if it was grappled - since we're playing with a basic rule set, some degree of abstraction is necessary. Captured captains will miss 1D6 scenarios. Thoughts?
    I like the idea of the first ship to touch the surrendered ship. Gives you a chance to try and run off the enemy to keep them away form your ship, or to go for a daring rescue and attempt to save a favorite captain.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by soul taker View Post
    I like the idea of the first ship to touch the surrendered ship. Gives you a chance to try and run off the enemy to keep them away form your ship, or to go for a daring rescue and attempt to save a favorite captain.
    My thinking exactly. From a gameplay standpoint, it offers a decision without a lot of mechanics involved. It could even serve as the basis for a scenario.

By having to stay stationary one turn, it comes with a little cost, again making the player have to think about the choice.

We would need a rule for surrendered ships as to when another AI ship would attempt the rescue or the capture. Maybe something like if it is within one ruler of the surrendered ship, and the player's ship is more than one ruler from both the Ai and surrendered ship, it goes to the surrendered ship. Otherwise, it prepares to attack or defend itself against the oncoming player's ship. Something like that that has a measure of logic but is also easy to determine.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

We would need a rule for surrendered ships as to when another AI ship would attempt the rescue or the capture. Maybe something like if it is within one ruler of the surrendered ship, and the player's ship is more than one ruler from both the Ai and surrendered ship, it goes to the surrendered ship. Otherwise, it prepares to attack or defend itself against the oncoming player's ship. Something like that that has a measure of logic but is also easy to determine.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a good start. It’s simple and easy to do plus has some logic to it. If I get a chance later today I will have to try it out and see how it works.