Jim, I'm not playing but for a campaign I'm writing myself, I'm hatching some ideas for campaign mechanics... things like persistent damage and crew losses, attrition losses--more than once a ship on a distant station was deemed "uneconomical to repair," stripped and scuttled, and I gotta find out how many places around the world could re-set masts--for example, did a French ship that lost a mast in the Indian Ocean have to go all the way home to repair? (I'd still like an option to differentiate between broken masts and field-replaceable broken spars...)

I'm thinking of a between-battles "Asset Management" stage where you can reassign crews and guns between ships if so warranted in order to bring damaged ships up to combat strength--still trying to figure out how to split Hull, Crew and Gun assets to better represent slow repairs. Gotta pick DM and Rif Winfield's brains about that one...

It sounds complicated, but I'm also hatching an Excel spreadsheet to track it all, with macros to automatically determine starting stats for the next battle after damage, repairs, transfers etc. are adjusted for and add Experience Points, so it should work a lot simpler than it seems.