Thread: Solo Campaign Development Discussions - July to Sept. 2014

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As for collisions, I don't think the AI mechanism should be held accountable for collisions at the basic game level regarding damage. As for players, I am open to it. The collisions should be resolved, sans damage, according to the rules, and when in doubt there, by what seems reasonable, i.e. how you envision the ships moving and where you envision the ships ending.

In your situation Jim, once the Redoubtable moves, can the Juno move backwards tracing its movement along the arrow via the stern?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    As for collisions, I don't think the AI mechanism should be held accountable for collisions at the basic game level regarding damage. As for players, I am open to it. The collisions should be resolved, sans damage, according to the rules, and when in doubt there, by what seems reasonable, i.e. how you envision the ships moving and where you envision the ships ending.

In your situation Jim, once the Redoubtable moves, can the Juno move backwards tracing its movement along the arrow via the stern?
    This is the complication I think. Redoutable moves forward on the line until its base touches the Juno (puts them almost exactly corner to corner). In any attempt to move the Juno back tracing the line from the stern its base is going to hit the Redoutable base as it swings back. Only if I pick up the ship can this be avoided and that seems to contradict tracing a line from the stern? Ironically, if the angle of approach on the Redoutable had been different I think the Juno would at least be able to move back initially, but then collide when moving forward?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 07-05-2014 at 07:44. Reason: typos

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    This is the complication I think. Redoubtable moves forward on the line until its base touches the Juno (puts them almost exactly corner to corner). In any attempt to move the Juno back tracing the line from the stern its base is going to hit the Redoubtable base as it swings back. Only if I pick up the ship can this be avoided and that seems to contradict tracing a line from the stern? Ironically, if the angle of approach on the Redoubtable had been different I think the Juno would at least be able to move back initially, but then collide when moving forward?
    AKAIK Redoutable would move forward until she was in contact with Juno, which then (having been contacted) would not move. But check also what the positions would be if the ships were both to move their full move distance. If the bases don't touch then they execute that movement as collisions only occur if bases would overlap after all movement is completed. From the photo it looks like this would be the case, but worth checking :)