Thread: Completely not even remotely on topic

Default Completely not even remotely on topic

I was directed by another site I check in to regularly to a World War 1 photographic memorial (I suppose) site with some of the most spectacular and interesting images I've seen of that conflict. For the WOG boys there are several images including the fuselage of a captured bomber in camo lozenge pattern being towed through a town by Australian troops.

The animals at war and the technology sections are particularly good with many photos I've never seen and nearly all the images are of superb quality and detail

http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/

There is a section on "war in the sky" yet to be done so the relevance for the WOG site will be there at least.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This looks like a valuable resource. Are you going to post the link over at the Aerodrome because I feel that it would be more appropriate there?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The images are incredible and like you there are many here I've not seen before. You cannot miss or mistake the horrors of war in some of the photographs. I will have to remember to check back when they post 'war in the sky' and definitely 'war at sea' as well.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Picture 20 in the technology section shows how devastating the battlefields were. I cannot imagine what it must have been like.

Thanks for sharing, Daniel. I agree with David; this would be well received on the Aerodrome.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Part about World War I Technology is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Daniel. I agree with David; this would be well received on the Aerodrome.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've posted it to WOG.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    I've posted it to WOG.
    Great. The pictures on that site are very good quality, and many are quite interesting. I imagine they will seed several scenario ideas, especially for those engaged in the Over the Trenches campaigns.

Off topic - but great pictures, Daniel.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Brilliant resource Daniel. Thank you for posting even though it's totally unrelated.

For those interested the aerial warfare section of the site has now been added. The impressive photographs continue with some very unusual material. The photos of wings being carried through a town by German soldiers and the observer at the end of a dirigible are amongst some I have never come across.

The final instalment of this fine series is up now and looks at WW1 from 100 years on. Brilliant photos, brilliant site, if you are not moved by the images you are probably dead, check your pulse..

Thank you Daniel for this reminder.

Great pictures!

In the spirit of being utterly unable to remain focussed on topic I present to you a second brilliant web link on the inventories of war- What soldiers carried 1066-2014. Hope you find it interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...?frame=2994148

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    In the spirit of being utterly unable to remain focussed on topic I present to you a second brilliant web link on the inventories of war- What soldiers carried 1066-2014. Hope you find it interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/w...?frame=2994148
    Very interesting, Daniel. Thanks for the link. Thanks also as I was able to follow some additional Telegraph links to see the Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red exhibition that has opened at the Tower of London.

Nice post. I particularly liked the items from 1066, pretty much the same as used by my ancestors on the other side.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was interesting. Thank you for the link. Another point to note is that the photographer was named Thom Atkinson and of course the traditional name for a British soldier is Thomas (Tommy) Atkins.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Daniel, that is a great link and photo documentary. The amount of gear a modern soldier has to carry!

I remember the first time I saw a collection of suits of armor (I was a kid on a school field trip). At first I thought they were models due to their size, but soon learned how people changed physically over the centuries.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato