View Poll Results: Do you participate in the Sails of Glory scenario contest?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! With a historical scenario.

3 8.57%
  • Yes! With a fictional scenario.

2 5.71%
  • Yes! With up to three historical/fictional scenarios.

2 5.71%
  • No! I didn't participate.

28 80.00%

Thread: Do you participate in the Sails of Glory contest?

Default Do you participate in the Sails of Glory contest?

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    How many of you have written up a scenario and entered it?
    A reasonable question from the First Sea Lord.

Do you participate in the official Sails of Glory scenario contest?
    Last edited by Comte de Brueys; 05-09-2014 at 23:23.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Heck, I haven't even had a chance to play an entire game with anyone face to face let alone cogitate and enter a scenario contest. Maybe by GenCon?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Considered it; but the almost-total lack of historical overlap between the various ships, plus the lack of official rules for anything much beyond Slugging Matches, said "don't bother".

Understand.

You have to make compromises between the ship types, especially for the historical scenarios and the frigate types.

I realized this during the work with the historical scenario I wrote.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

I don't. But I look forward to see new scenarios.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If we had the appropriate ships this is the 'historical' scenario I would have submitted. If one of our enterprising members hasn't already suggested a pirate themed scenario perhaps this would work? Have a go?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Lopez

My most favourite would be a Battle of the Nile scenario with my beloved first rate Orient.

I thought on an escape mission from the Battle of the Nile, about the SoLs wich retreated under the command of Rear Admiral Villeneuve, for this contest too.

But I decided for a heroic frigate mission.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

I have uploaded the one I submitted. Please let me know if posted correctly, and your opinions/comments would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

I didnt have much playtime with the sails so havent got the experience to work out a decent scenario; otherwise I would have made one

I tried two. Both would have been better with Wave 2 ships, but that's ok. I did a historical one of Indefatigable and Amazon vs. Droits de l'Homme, and a fictional one based on the raid described in Lieutenant Hornblower on the fortified harbor of Samana Bay.

They are pretty simple, but I hope add some new twists to the scenarios that have been offered so far. I'm sure they are not contest winners, but it would be fun if Ares were to pretty them up and publish as "official" scenarios...

I do wish I'd had more playtest time. But at least I was able to run each one twice, and had fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kippryon View Post
    I have uploaded the one I submitted. Please let me know if posted correctly, and your opinions/comments would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Nice layout, Kipp.

The idea with an unlucky fellow on board is great.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Suggestion: maybe use the contest to DEVELOP some possible rules expansions for testing? I've been thinking about some ideas for cutting-out actions and other small-boat missions where you have to get your ship within X distance of a target, then you take a certain amount of hit to your crew unless/until they come back from their mission. (If a cutting-out, obviously they're manning the ships they've cut out, which in turn means the captured ship takes HUGE crew-damage track hit.)

Once a boat is launched for shore action or cutting-out, what all hazards does it face on the way? What's Player 2's options beyond musketry to stop Player 1's boat from reaching their ship or shore?

I was asked for thoughts when this contest was in the idea phase, and had thought that there should be a certain "bonus point" factor for authors who try something that hasn't been done before in SGN Official Rules, as opposed to just variations on existing themes. If there aren't existing mechanics for something you want to do... MAKE SOME! :) We already have custom-card guys... are we going to wait for somebody to spoon-feed us, or are we going to roll up our sleeves and help make this OUR game? Heck, look at the A&A War at Sea guys... WOTC pulled the plug on their game, they responded by cranking out their own custom cards and creating new miniatures on Shapeways.

Point is, we can sit back and comment about special rules we'd like to see that the game doesn't yet have, or we can take the bull by the horns, start drafting and testing add-ons to fill those "holes" ourselves and see which ones are good enough for Ares to possibly adopt.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kipp

If you can come up with the ideas, I'll be happy to assist with design, play-testing, etc..etc..
    (I have myself many more scenario ideas which I just could not get into the 'required' format before end date of contest).

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Full disclosure, I myself am ineligible to enter--I was just trying to encourage folks to "think outside the box" a little. :)

I'm curious.

One week left...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I missed the boat all together due to being away from the forum for about eight weeks!!

3 days left...

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    3 days left...
    I thought the deadline was May 10th. Has this changed?

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I missed the boat all together due to being away from the forum for about eight weeks!!
    It's good having you back, Paul.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Yea, I thought the cut off was May 10, 2014!! Did they extend it without notice, or something?

It's good to be back Eric, thanks!!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It was. The date by which the judges have to get their marks in to Roberto is this week......

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    It was. The date by which the judges have to get their marks in to Roberto is this week......
    Thanks for the clarification, David.

In the future, maybe we could run some type of scenario-building contest here.

They wrot that the winners willbe announced 10th June.

That's why I wrote 3 days left...

From Ares today:

Hi,

We write you to inform that the announcement of the Sails of Glory Scenario Contest winners was postponed for some days, as there were many worthy submissions to evaluate.

We are now gathering final data from the Judges and we expect to announce the winners next week at the latest.

Thank you.

Andrea Fanhoni
    Ares Games – PR & Communication

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't look at me, I submitted *my* reviews On Time... :D

Really, as I noted in the email I sent the scores in on, it was a tough call--there isn't a single scenario in the pack that DOESN'T deserve its day in the sun, and while some could use a little gentle massaging by an editor, I was judging on game factors and clarity of explanation rather than grammar-class trivia. (I've seen FAR WORSE come from the desks of Fortune 500 CEOs, if you can believe it! It's downright scary when you think about the fact that people with that literacy level are responsible for building the tools to defend the Free World... O.O )

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yup, mine went in a few days ago as well :)

I'm guessing we're talking about just the judging deadline and not the deadline to submit new entries. If I coulda got a new entry in the last few days I would have entered the latest pirate mission.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hold onto it--maybe there'll be another one.