Thread: The differences in smoke cloud markers

Default The differences in smoke cloud markers

Check out the attached photo. That top white cloud is the one I got from the Kickstarter. The rest are more recent production I got, with some paint on them. The newer ones are much more translucent. Notice on the left how the brown paper shows through, or on the right the grey backed paint shows through. I'm going to have to scrape the grey paint off and try white paint, then coat it with grey again. That way white will shows through the top surface and then it will look grey when I flip it over.

Name:  DSC00671.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  141.2 KB

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

I think I will use a cotton ball, pulled to shape. It is what I use in musket and tomahawk game with black powder muskets

Quote Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
    I think I will use a cotton ball, pulled to shape. It is what I use in musket and tomahawk game with black powder muskets
    But you can't flip the cotton ball over to the other side as a loading guns marker.

Did you get the translucent ones from the Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Did you get the translucent ones from the Anchorage?
    Yes

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Looks like I cut a batch using the wrong acrylic. I've got white and translucent white (for my Wings of Glory clouds). I'll have to cut another batch and pull these translucent ones off the shelf.

Andy, sorry about this. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll happily send you some new ones out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Oh, a thought just came to me. If one was so inclined, they could paint the back of the clouds to show a bit of fire at the firing edge and blend white to light grey smoke going further out. Then cover that with a solid coat of your "reloading" color on the back. That would give you a muted or subdued fire look (since the plastic is a milky white) when viewed from the top, and solid on the back (protecting the detailed paint work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I'll have to cut another batch and pull these translucent ones off the shelf.
    Clearance sale? Maybe the T.J. Maxx of SGN accessories?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Clearance sale? Maybe the T.J. Maxx of SGN accessories?
    Good idea. I'd like to experiment with about five sets or so.