Thread: Flag Signal Communication

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am beginning to believe it will take real discipline on the part of players, some belief/understanding in the importance of signaling, and some ability to imagine what the directed maneuvers will accomplish, for any signaling to work in a game. It seems, in many games I have played, that after the first turn, any pre-discussed plans are pretty much dispensed with, and when playing WGF, hand signals when close by do not translate to intended maneuvers on the table. Often, it is hard to keep players focused on strategic goals. It's pretty funny to witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Outlaw View Post
    If members are interested, I can post the WW I signals for manoeuvring ships from either the Royal Navy or the Kaiserliche Marine.
    Interested. Thanks, Brad.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am beginning to believe it will take real discipline on the part of players, some belief/understanding in the importance of signaling, and some ability to imagine what the directed maneuvers will accomplish, for any signaling to work in a game. It seems, in many games I have played, that after the first turn, any pre-discussed plans are pretty much dispensed with, and when playing WGF, hand signals when close by do not translate to intended maneuvers on the table. Often, it is hard to keep players focused on strategic goals. It's pretty funny to witness.
    How true. In some other games using other rules that I play where we've used signalling we have enforced a strict "no talking" rule at the table (about the game at least, wargamers can't exist unless they can swing the lamp over old war stories). All communication between ships has to be by flag (unless ships have their quarterdecks in close proximity). So the pre-game "team talk" becomes vital. And so what we've seen is that the teams who plan well - where the plan is relatively simple and a minimal amount of post-engagement "chat" is needed - do very well, those that don't descend into chaos very quickly.

Bit like real life