Thread: Sailing practice

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Default Sailing practice

Having now played a few games against opponents I find I am having some difficulties with the manoeuvring aspects of the game.

Therefore I am thinking of trying some solo sessions just practicing manoeuvring around an obstacle course of shoals and islands without bothering with combat aspects. I am thinking of starting simply and gradually increasing the difficulty; more comlex obstacles, adjusting sails, changing wind direction, handling two ships, etc. Has anyone else tried this and have they found it an effective way of improving their sailing skills?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Keith, try this thread? I've not actually done them myself, but they do sound viable.

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...ining-Exercise

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

for me that's the way to learn the game. Step by step more rules and options.
    And yes, in solo sessions you can try and test freely some elements to see how it feels and if it's working for you.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Keith, try this thread? I've not actually done them myself, but they do sound viable.

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...ining-Exercise
    Thanks Jim some of the exercises suggested look to be just the ticket. , and thanks for the encouragement Matthias I will definitely be having a go at some extra training.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by spiessbuerger View Post
    for me that's the way to learn the game. Step by step more rules and options.
    And yes, in solo sessions you can try and test freely some elements to see how it feels and if it's working for you.
    I am reminded of the AH game, Tobruk. If memory serves me correctly, there were nine scenarios, each adding new rule components. I think it would be worthwhile to develop a series of scenarios, in which each scenario adds new rules in small increments. If these can be developed for solo play, they would be of great value for newbies.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

I was just thinking about posting something related when I saw this thread. Has anyone tried either match racing or fleet racing?
    I'm thinking of racing ships of the same class so the capabilities are the matched, setting a course around shoals or islands, then racing using yacht racing rules, with all of the jockeying for position ahead of the start line, penalties for right of way, etc. (no shooting!)
    I've only just recently received my game and ships, and have been busy these last few days, so haven't even had some them all out of their boxes yet, so I haven't tried it, but I am eager to give it a go. It could be particularly interesting to try it with preplanning a second move, as in standard rules, or changes in sail settings as in advanced rules. Even more interesting to add a variant requiring changes in sail settings to be pre-planned as well.

There is a kids game called Regatta which already uses cards placed ahead of sailboats to determine movement, and it is fun, but it is still turn-based rather than simultaneous, it ignores wind direction, and although the lengths and positions of the arrows on the cards do vary slightly, all the card variations are really 90 degrees or straight ahead, so movement is not very subtle.

link to BoardGameGeek:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65582/regatta

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am reminded of the AH game, Tobruk. If memory serves me correctly, there were nine scenarios, each adding new rule components. I think it would be worthwhile to develop a series of scenarios, in which each scenario adds new rules in small increments. If these can be developed for solo play, they would be of great value for newbies.
    I agree and wouldn't limit it to new players. I still wish someone would design a basic maneuvering app for tablets where levels of the rules could be added in for solo play. I know that defeats the real feel of the game, but it would be nice for quick solo 'sailing practice'?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

I'd buy a pad for that, lol.

Seriously thought I like this solo idea (instantly thought of ti after my first game) and the ideas in the other thread linked to are sound. I can see me doing the slalom one!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds Ted View Post
    I was just thinking about posting something related when I saw this thread. Has anyone tried either match racing or fleet racing?
    I'm thinking of racing ships of the same class so the capabilities are the matched, setting a course around shoals or islands, then racing using yacht racing rules, with all of the jockeying for position ahead of the start line, penalties for right of way, etc. (no shooting!)
    I've only just recently received my game and ships, and have been busy these last few days, so haven't even had some them all out of their boxes yet, so I haven't tried it, but I am eager to give it a go. It could be particularly interesting to try it with preplanning a second move, as in standard rules, or changes in sail settings as in advanced rules. Even more interesting to add a variant requiring changes in sail settings to be pre-planned as well.

There is a kids game called Regatta which already uses cards placed ahead of sailboats to determine movement, and it is fun, but it is still turn-based rather than simultaneous, it ignores wind direction, and although the lengths and positions of the arrows on the cards do vary slightly, all the card variations are really 90 degrees or straight ahead, so movement is not very subtle.

link to BoardGameGeek:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65582/regatta
    Interesting. Looks like your maneuvers are based on what cards you draw. I recall a much older board game also called Regatta, maybe it was from the 1960s and -published by one of the big US companies at the time.

Eric

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Yes Eric, 3M and Avalon Hill published a Regatta game in 1967. Good game, although diagonal movement on the square grid was much faster than orthogonal movement.
    Not much resemblance to the recent kids game I mentioned, except both are sailing races.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds Ted View Post
    Yes Eric, 3M and Avalon Hill published a Regatta game in 1967. Good game, although diagonal movement on the square grid was much faster than orthogonal movement.
    Not much resemblance to the recent kids game I mentioned, except both are sailing races.
    That's the one I was thinking of! Thanks.