View Poll Results: How will you store your ships?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their original boxes.

18 27.27%
  • In a different container, but will keep the original boxes.

29 43.94%
  • In a different container, and will part with the original boxes.

19 28.79%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storage Solutions

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Some more pics, 0.3L boxes with First Rates... British fit fine, Oceans take more work. (And this one came in broken, 4 out of 6 defect rate.)

First, an intact British First Rate...
    Name:  100_2440.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  137.4 KBName:  100_2439.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  125.7 KBName:  100_2438.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  125.3 KBName:  100_2437.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  120.9 KB

And one of the dud Froggies, which... they DO fit, just have to pack differently.
    Name:  100_2443.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  126.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-13-2014 at 15:47.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    And one of the dud Froggies,
    It's a Crunchied Frog?

:)

<- running at top speed in opposite direction, ducking

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*aims for French's ankles and throws bola*

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

*aims for French's ankles and throws bola*
    <- hops, lets bola pass under him, changes direction on landing, and disappears into convenient bunker entrance :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Found a couple things that might be of interest in my email on coupons from Harbor Freight... Check these out, I'm considering the aluminum case as a possible minis transport.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...l_s1021_c3814b
    http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...l_s1021_c3814b
    Sale ends the 29th, so...

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    William

Found a couple things that might be of interest in my email on coupons from Harbor Freight... Check these out, I'm considering the aluminum case as a possible minis transport.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...l_s1021_c3814b
    http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...l_s1021_c3814b
    Sale ends the 29th, so...
    I use these aluminum cases for storing my wings of glory and other general travel games. I use commercial foam storage trays for the wings of glory, and have plenty of room for extras. Everything travels very safely. I find them to be very sturdy and well worth the money, especially if you can get them on sale. I have one case that has been my general small games travel case for 6 years now and it is beat up and dinged, but still going strong!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a nice case, DB.

My greatest need is preparing again for Origins. When running games locally, I only need to transport enough for a game; with Origins, I need enough for many different games and for larger number of players. One thing I am going to do is use a vinyl game mat instead of the four Ares mats as I did last year. Not only is it easier to carry, but I can tape and leave it for the whole convention. Last year, I made the mistake of doubling up mats inside the Ares mat boxes; some of the edges were damaged and are a bit wavy.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: an intact Ocean will NOT fit into an 0.3L Really Useful Box after all--but a pair of them fit VERY nicely into an 0.7L. Too bad they don't make an Organizer Pack with tray/rack for those...

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Magnetic Transport Case

Hello all,

I haven't posted much since joining, but I have greatly enjoyed reading and seeing what others are doing with the hobby.

My project lately has been working on shore battery models and a carrying case. Sadly my dog jumped up onto the table one night and destroyed the battery before I could take any pictures, so I will have to start working on another. My carrying case has fared better thankfully.

Name:  photo 3 (1).jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  147.3 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  178.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  163.9 KB

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy, and I had always wanted to try magnetic storage with those models, but never went through with it and always stuck with foam. I went for this time and I am quite pleased with the results. As long as you don't put them in your checked luggage for the TSA to play catch with, I don't think there will be any problems. And even after my flight there wasn't too much damage, only 2 broken masts. My next goal is to organize all the other stuff in that center compartment, which as you can see is a mess.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent! I am getting ready to do the same.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well done and a beautiful job on the case as well!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done! A good piece of work.

Wonderful Eric, your wood working skills are superb.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Colby

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting my feet wet with this game (pun intended) and I wanted to ask a question about storage.

The miniatures look pretty delicate at first glance. Will my storage solution need to really secure the ships so they don't encounter any shaking during transport (e.g. packed in foam)? Or can they take some mild shifting around in their compartment?

Thanks

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by colby_bimore View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm just getting my feet wet with this game (pun intended) and I wanted to ask a question about storage.

The miniatures look pretty delicate at first glance. Will my storage solution need to really secure the ships so they don't encounter any shaking during transport (e.g. packed in foam)? Or can they take some mild shifting around in their compartment?

Thanks
    Colby, most of my fleet is still in the original boxes. Those that have been painted and rigged are sitting in a display case. I don't take the ships on the road much, but if I did I'd not worry too much about their delicacy. The exception to this would be the Wave 2 First Rates. Those masts are very prone to damage so they need to be very secure when transporting. Here are a few links to prior threads you might want to look over:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...hlight=storage

You may find some of the images in these threads are corrupted. Our website was hacked a few months ago and the photos were not recovered.

Cheers!

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Colby

Jim. Thank you for helping me out. I will pour over the information.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Someone just posted a storage solution on Boardgame Geek. They found that Christmas Tree ornament containers work well for SoG ships, cards, logs and base storage. Photos included, here's the link.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17874801#17874801

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have taken my SOG ships to a few shows now for display game purposes, all are still in the original box's and I have yet to have any damage, including, so far, wave 2 in original packaging.
    So they are quite safe, I have found, so far anyway.
    I have spoken to Daryll from Kaiser Rushforth, he intends to make travel cases for SoG, but not too sure when, he is currently tied up with Xwing and attack wing cases

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Mine have travelled extensively in their original boxes, no issues and very convenient

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default Potential Strage Solutions?

Received these two e-mails-

Sales 2 at KR <sales2@krmulticase.co.uk>

Hi Charles.
    Thanks for your email. We do indeed have plans for a Sails of Glory range. They should be early this year – we certainly get a lot of requests for them!
    Kind Regards
    Matthew

Battle Foam

Jan 12 (2 days ago)

Hello Charles,

At this time we do not have any trays specifically for Sails of Glory, but you can always trace the models out for us, and we can make you a tray that way.

Here are some step by step instructions that we hope will get you started:

1) Print out a custom order form and make sure to complete all sections: http://www.battlefoam.com/BattleFoamCustomForm.pdf

2) Gather the model

3) Place the model on the Custom Trace Sheet that has a ruler. All pages with tracings must have a ruler on the side. This helps to ensure that any resizing due to printers, faxes, or programs can be properly corrected once we receive them.

4) Carefully start tracing the model as close to the edge as possible with a pencil or pen. Keep a close eye that the model does not move or shift during tracing. When finished remove the model and retrace the shape with a marker such as a Sharpie. For visual reference please see our examples at http://us.battlefoam.com/pages/Custom-Order-Form.html.

5) Label. Please be as detailed with your description as possible

6) Write your first name, last name, phone number, email address, and order number (if you have it) on the Custom Trace Sheet

7) http://us.battlefoam.com/categories/...ut-Foam-Trays/ -- Use this link to purchase your desired size tray.

Hope this helps you get started!
    Customer Service
    Battle Foam®
    (877) 336-3626 #2100 [Phone]
    (877) 854-4244 [Fax]

Don't know if this heps anyone, but I really would like a storage solution of some kind!

Thanks for the information Charles. If you are looking for storage solutions check out these threads. Personally I magnetized the bases and use Stackable cases from JoAnn Fabrics:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...hlight=storage

Nice boxes for displaying fully rigged ships as well.

Hopefully this will give you ideas and save money! While I do have KR cases for my WoG aircraft, I generally don't like spending too much on storage.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

I know, and I have them in somehting liek that now. But with lugging my ships from Tuesday's Napoleonic group, to either Wenesday or Thursday's FLGS night, to usually the gaming group one or two Saturday's a month, I'd like to have them in nice foam and a bag so I worry about them less in the trunk :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CSherrange View Post
    I know, and I have them in somehting liek that now. But with lugging my ships from Tuesday's Napoleonic group, to either Wenesday or Thursday's FLGS night, to usually the gaming group one or two Saturday's a month, I'd like to have them in nice foam and a bag so I worry about them less in the trunk :-)
    Pluck foam and the 'portable warfare the Sergeant' bags works great
    http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...0&d=1389931386

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Colby

I continue to use the injection molding plastic that the miniature ships in. I then put these molds in a big plastic storage box. The molds are made to protect the ship miniature and they also hold the ship's card deck.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just a quick FYI for anyone near a Michael's craft store. I stopped by our local one today to pick up some ink and saw they have all their craft storage containers on sale for 50% off regular prices. I can't say if the containers would work for Sails of Glory ships specifically, but I imagine with the variety of sizes I saw it might be so? Sale is probably good for a week and I expect they'll move fast. There were people in line with carts full of them.

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Storing your ships?

Just thought I would ask what other admirals use to store their fleets? On the Wings side I have always been a 'Figures in Comfort' person rather than a 'K&R' - so I wondered what is available and what folks would recommend?

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I keep mine in their original packets, i find they are easy to store on a shelf or in a box and are nicely secure.
    I also like the special boxes and dont want to dispose of them.

I prefer the original boxes.

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I prefer the original boxes.
    That is my only option at the moment, lol
    Mind you my fleet is still very small

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Check out this thread: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ghlight=artbin

Since going to laminated ship logs, I no longer need some of the chits, etc., which simplified transport. At Origins, I ran five games accommodating up to 14 players. I had all the ships in one of the Artbin containers, and all other material in another plastic box - easy to carry and easy to store.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks Eric, they look great

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chris, with magnets placed on the bottom of the ships, ship bases, and inside the container, one would have a very sturdy and safe storage and transport system. Even without magnets, I found the system to be just fine. Another nice benefit is that they stack well.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Chris, as far asI am aware, no one has yet made a case/ foam tray for storing ships.
    I have spoken to KR and although he said he would be making some he couldn't say when.
    You can get the trays from both FiG and KR which allows you to make your own cutouts, the tray come in standard size but are full of little squares you can remove to your own design.
    Currently my ships reside in original box's but when I started rigging, they nolonger fit here :(

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just thought I was in a sort of time loop, until I saw Eric's post.
    We have been discussing this problem as you can now see on that other thread.
    Despite the super ideas put forward there, it would be great to see some official solution to the problem, such as foam trays that would fit KR cases. It would be even better if the cutouts took cognizance of the desire for some members to rig their ships.
    However, any solution of this nature would be better than the current situation.
    rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I keep all my little ships in a box, and all the packs of manoeuvre cards etc in small plastic boxes, it takes less space in my bag!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I keep my ships in their original boxes in larger cardboard boxes.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Iris KP-XLPHO Photo Keepers for my sub-Constitution-size ships (2 ships plus bases, logs and decks per photo case, 16 of those per outer case--the limiter here is maximum yard width--32 small ships stored per case), Really Useful Products 0.3L Organizer Packs for everything from Constitution up to the largest two-deckers including decks etc (limiters here are sparred length and height from waterline to masthead; one tray holds 16 one-ship boxes), then Really Useful 0.7L boxes for the three-deckers at two per.

Starter ships I keep in the Starter boxes, and one of my two groups of Kickstarter Exclusives has been packed into a surplus Starter box Eric gave me along with a Counter Set and Mat set to create a "home-brewed Kickstarter Edition Starter".

Total:
    1 Photo Keeper (two spares set aside for future expansion and miscellany)
    3 SGN Starter Set boxes (diligently seeking a fourth)
    1 Really Useful 0.3 Organizer Pack (need to pick up another one or two for Waves 3 and 4)
    7 Really Useful 0.7L boxes (need to snag 3 more for Wave 3)

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I think we have 2 thread's going about the same topic "Foam storage" is doing the same topic. I have posted photo's of how store and pack my ships for moving around to games on that thread. Hope it helps
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'll merge all of these threads, if so desired.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I personally feel it would be helpful to members seeking answers and options Eric.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Merge away, mon admiral!

I just wish it was possible to merge some TMP threads!.....

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

For me it's a done deal! I would love to help others. So all in one place! Yes please!
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell68 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  193.7 KB
    Jeff was not here for a long time and because I am thinking about storaging my new ships, I want to ask, if there is somebody who use 14 mm rastered foams as on the picture. Is it?
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 08-20-2016 at 18:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do use it Daniel but not for ships of this period. Is there anything you want to know about it?
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Well, Uli, I prefere the idea of emptying bottles more. I mean, you have to prepare materials

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Was the Costco wine any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhund View Post
    Was the Costco wine any good?
    Surprisingly Costco does sell decent wine! I have seen their Kirkwood brand featured in Wine Spectator as a best buy (can't recall the varietal though).

Ordinary Seaman
    Japan

Log Entries
    Name
    Jeffrey

The 3 bottle gift box was wine sold at Costco, not Costco wine, but, yes, quite decent. Especially nice, since you can repurpose the wooden boxes for storage. I'll be picking up another two boxes in the next week or two.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It looks like you could be onto a 'winner' there, Jeffrey.