View Poll Results: How will you store your ships?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • In their original boxes.

18 27.27%
  • In a different container, but will keep the original boxes.

29 43.94%
  • In a different container, and will part with the original boxes.

19 28.79%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storage Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I guess I should buy a cat and get married again (God, please forbid) so I could more easily follow the conversations/discussions.
    Plenty of cats out there needing homes...and...Danica Patrick is currently single.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ed, I'm not married and haven't had a cat in the house in many years. Chris takes playful potshots at me, and I just give 'em right back...

And I appreciate you guys doing your part on keeping this thread alive. (which is more than I can say for Ares at the moment)

Ares isn't giving us much to talk about. Seems like our best subject lately was the discussion on X-Wing.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, it's gone dead in the Behind The Scenes chatter too... my guess is right now the next GD expansion, one of the Tolkien properties or WoG is getting the focus right now.

Hey, it WAS only a week ago they shared the box designs for the Big Two...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not having any problem.
    Remember: A successful Sanity Check means "you are able to lie to yourself about what you think you saw"; a failed Check means "you know what you saw, and understand what it means".

[lose 1d6 SAN] >;)

And: Yes, I have cats -- one is part-Siamese, and one is a Tuxedo Cat; both of them have intelligence, which in cats manifests as inquisitiveness; this means they get into things they shouldn't. [looks at various boxes with tooth marks on edges]

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Hey, it WAS only a week ago they shared the box designs for the Big Two...
    Great, now I know what a box looks like. Pictures or names of wave 3 would be nice, even if they released them a ship at a time it would keep tongues wagging for a while.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We also know some of the add-on cards that will be in those packs, from those packages. If I don't hear anything by Friday, I'll nudge Roberto about "The Natives Grow Restless" and ask him to authorize me to report some little tidbit over the weekend or next week.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

DB, encourage Ares to hire a social media marketing intern from a local university. Everyone would benefit from such an arrangement - company, intern, and customers.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Some more pics, 0.3L boxes with First Rates... British fit fine, Oceans take more work. (And this one came in broken, 4 out of 6 defect rate.)

First, an intact British First Rate...
    Name:  100_2440.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  137.4 KBName:  100_2439.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  125.7 KBName:  100_2438.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  125.3 KBName:  100_2437.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  120.9 KB

And one of the dud Froggies, which... they DO fit, just have to pack differently.
    Name:  100_2443.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  126.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-13-2014 at 15:47.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And one of the dud Froggies,
    It's a Crunchied Frog?

:)

<- running at top speed in opposite direction, ducking

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*aims for French's ankles and throws bola*

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

*aims for French's ankles and throws bola*
    <- hops, lets bola pass under him, changes direction on landing, and disappears into convenient bunker entrance :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Found a couple things that might be of interest in my email on coupons from Harbor Freight... Check these out, I'm considering the aluminum case as a possible minis transport.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...l_s1021_c3814b
    http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...l_s1021_c3814b
    Sale ends the 29th, so...

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    William

Found a couple things that might be of interest in my email on coupons from Harbor Freight... Check these out, I'm considering the aluminum case as a possible minis transport.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x...l_s1021_c3814b
    http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...l_s1021_c3814b
    Sale ends the 29th, so...
    I use these aluminum cases for storing my wings of glory and other general travel games. I use commercial foam storage trays for the wings of glory, and have plenty of room for extras. Everything travels very safely. I find them to be very sturdy and well worth the money, especially if you can get them on sale. I have one case that has been my general small games travel case for 6 years now and it is beat up and dinged, but still going strong!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a nice case, DB.

My greatest need is preparing again for Origins. When running games locally, I only need to transport enough for a game; with Origins, I need enough for many different games and for larger number of players. One thing I am going to do is use a vinyl game mat instead of the four Ares mats as I did last year. Not only is it easier to carry, but I can tape and leave it for the whole convention. Last year, I made the mistake of doubling up mats inside the Ares mat boxes; some of the edges were damaged and are a bit wavy.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

These are on sale right now for $13.19 each at JoAnne's
    http://www.joann.com/artbin-super-sa...9.html#start=7
    Fair Winds and a following sea.

Pappy Liam

"We are men of action, lies do not become us."
    Westley in The Princess Bride

Ordered 2. Thanks

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Anyone done any tests with 1st Rates in the 9007's yet? I might still have a few around from my WK Pirates and WAS days before I moved up to the 6990 "Double Deep"... though I'm still looking for "more stuff per cubic inch" options to try.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN DUNBAR View Post
    Stopped into JoAnns and those totes worked out great. Had to pick up two of the 9007ab. Picked up two of these lockable pill boxes for the ship map chits. Each compartment just holds one ship mat worth of chits.
    http://www.joann.com/7-compartment-large/1492792.html
    This link does not seem to work for me got a model number or a picture?

Pappy Liam

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Anyone done any tests with 1st Rates in the 9007's yet? I might still have a few around from my WK Pirates and WAS days before I moved up to the 6990 "Double Deep"... though I'm still looking for "more stuff per cubic inch" options to try.
    I have first rates in mine, but I use the front row which has longer sections. I can have two in each.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Kenji

Hi Eric,

I notice in your picture that some of your ship miniatures seem to be sitting on their base in a diagonal angle. Is that because the ship peg isn't sitting tight in the base and therefore allows the ship to twist a bit?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  28.6 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I rotated them 45 degrees so they would fit, and they fit that way nicely. I am very pleased with this case. The nice thing is that the dividers come out so if you find it at all difficult to place or remove ships from the little "bins" it actually becomes quite easy - same with card deck removal.

I am changing some of the other storage since I have gone to laminated ship logs.

I will take some pictures of using these and other bins for WoG storage. Let's simply say that I have become a fan of Jo-Ann's, especially the online store sales and free shipping specials.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I like the artbin containers myself, but found that having a couple of them can be a bit cumbersome when it comes to transport.

I actually switched my ships to Snapware snap and stack containers with the ships stored in pluck foam. The ability to combine two, three, four or more containers into one makes them a bit easier to transport, and allows me room for all the extras (ship mats, maneuver decks, range rulers, components, and a blue felt mat for a play area).

David,
    Can you provide a store that carries them or a model number and picture???

Pappy Liam

Quote Originally Posted by ChyronDave View Post
    I like the artbin containers myself, but found that having a couple of them can be a bit cumbersome when it comes to transport.

I actually switched my ships to Snapware snap and stack containers with the ships stored in pluck foam. The ability to combine two, three, four or more containers into one makes them a bit easier to transport, and allows me room for all the extras (ship mats, maneuver decks, range rulers, components, and a blue felt mat for a play area).
    I switched to the Snapware for the same reasons. Instead of foam I magnetized the bases and glued a sheet of paper steel to the bottom of the container carrying the ships. I have mine in a stack of four - bottom 2 for the ships and tops two for the rest.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy Liam View Post
    David,
    Can you provide a store that carries them or a model number and picture???
    I embedded a link to JoAnn Fabrics' entry for the Snapware boxes in my post, but just in case it isn't working for you:

http://www.joann.com/snapware-plasti...pware&start=10

I have seen them in most stores. Sterilite also makes a similar style box. I have my WoG stuff in those, but I put a bungee cord around each set so that there are no unlatching issues.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ChyronDave View Post
    For Origins, I needed to bring all of the SoG supplies. I bought the following travel cart at Target: http://www.target.com/p/travel-smart..._qi_detaillink

Name:  Cart.png
Views: 1092
Size:  11.9 KB Name:  Cart 2.png
Views: 1121
Size:  35.7 KB

I purchased something like this to hold the laminated ship logs, markers, etc.:

Name:  Container.png
Views: 1130
Size:  11.7 KB

I put the container on the bottom, and placed the Artbin containers on top of it, followed by the game mats. I secured everything with bungie cords. What was great was that the handle retracts or folds back, so I simply lifted everything strapped and put it in the back seat. When we arrived at Origins, I took it out, pulled the handle into position, reconnected the bungie cords, and was off. The wheels on the cart were large enough so as to not cause any problems walking through the parking garage, going up and down escalators, etc. It worked very well.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, I use something similar but a tad heavier-duty from Staples for hauling my Field Office--the cams that lock the Target cart's wheels in place wear out very easily, leading them to easily collapse under load in time.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey DB,

A link, by chance?

I have been happy with the cart, thus far. The combined weight of all I brought to Origins was actually surprisingly light. Given the ease of using the cart, I would like to look at other options for heavier loads.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, I can't find the exact model, but this one is very similar.
    http://www.staples.com/Harper-Trucks...YF078277069483

Granted, mine have to deal with daily use under brutal conditions like being dragged a couple miles a day... the other thing that helps is it uses standard wheelchair front wheels, so when one goes flat or wears out it's a DIY fix while the Target ones are 'retire and replace'. (Main reason I drag a cart is to save wear on the wheels of my laptop case which are non-replaceable... cheaper to replace a pair of $20 tires than a $100+ super-sized catalog case, even if the tires only last a year, right?

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

For my Langton's its a metal tin with stick on mag sheet. Saves them being bashed around. Just need to be careful lifting them out as I've pulled a few sails off!

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    For my Langton's its a metal tin with stick on mag sheet. Saves them being bashed around. Just need to be careful lifting them out as I've pulled a few sails off!
    So were mine the first time I dropped them. Not too much can protect them from being clumsy. My Langton's now reside in foam trays in Portable Warfare Sergeant gaming bags.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Just need to be careful lifting them out as I've pulled a few sails off!
    One thing I like about the containers I am using from JoAnn's is the ability to remove the dividers. Doing so makes placing and retrieving ships easier as needed.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: an intact Ocean will NOT fit into an 0.3L Really Useful Box after all--but a pair of them fit VERY nicely into an 0.7L. Too bad they don't make an Organizer Pack with tray/rack for those...

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Magnetic Transport Case

Hello all,

I haven't posted much since joining, but I have greatly enjoyed reading and seeing what others are doing with the hobby.

My project lately has been working on shore battery models and a carrying case. Sadly my dog jumped up onto the table one night and destroyed the battery before I could take any pictures, so I will have to start working on another. My carrying case has fared better thankfully.

Name:  photo 3 (1).jpg
Views: 885
Size:  147.3 KBName:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  178.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  163.9 KB

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy, and I had always wanted to try magnetic storage with those models, but never went through with it and always stuck with foam. I went for this time and I am quite pleased with the results. As long as you don't put them in your checked luggage for the TSA to play catch with, I don't think there will be any problems. And even after my flight there wasn't too much damage, only 2 broken masts. My next goal is to organize all the other stuff in that center compartment, which as you can see is a mess.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent! I am getting ready to do the same.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well done and a beautiful job on the case as well!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done! A good piece of work.

Wonderful Eric, your wood working skills are superb.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Colby

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting my feet wet with this game (pun intended) and I wanted to ask a question about storage.

The miniatures look pretty delicate at first glance. Will my storage solution need to really secure the ships so they don't encounter any shaking during transport (e.g. packed in foam)? Or can they take some mild shifting around in their compartment?

Thanks

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by colby_bimore View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm just getting my feet wet with this game (pun intended) and I wanted to ask a question about storage.

The miniatures look pretty delicate at first glance. Will my storage solution need to really secure the ships so they don't encounter any shaking during transport (e.g. packed in foam)? Or can they take some mild shifting around in their compartment?

Thanks
    Colby, most of my fleet is still in the original boxes. Those that have been painted and rigged are sitting in a display case. I don't take the ships on the road much, but if I did I'd not worry too much about their delicacy. The exception to this would be the Wave 2 First Rates. Those masts are very prone to damage so they need to be very secure when transporting. Here are a few links to prior threads you might want to look over:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...hlight=storage

You may find some of the images in these threads are corrupted. Our website was hacked a few months ago and the photos were not recovered.

Cheers!

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Colby

Jim. Thank you for helping me out. I will pour over the information.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Someone just posted a storage solution on Boardgame Geek. They found that Christmas Tree ornament containers work well for SoG ships, cards, logs and base storage. Photos included, here's the link.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17874801#17874801

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have taken my SOG ships to a few shows now for display game purposes, all are still in the original box's and I have yet to have any damage, including, so far, wave 2 in original packaging.
    So they are quite safe, I have found, so far anyway.
    I have spoken to Daryll from Kaiser Rushforth, he intends to make travel cases for SoG, but not too sure when, he is currently tied up with Xwing and attack wing cases

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Mine have travelled extensively in their original boxes, no issues and very convenient

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default Potential Strage Solutions?

Received these two e-mails-

Sales 2 at KR <sales2@krmulticase.co.uk>

Hi Charles.
    Thanks for your email. We do indeed have plans for a Sails of Glory range. They should be early this year – we certainly get a lot of requests for them!
    Kind Regards
    Matthew

Battle Foam

Jan 12 (2 days ago)

Hello Charles,

At this time we do not have any trays specifically for Sails of Glory, but you can always trace the models out for us, and we can make you a tray that way.

Here are some step by step instructions that we hope will get you started:

1) Print out a custom order form and make sure to complete all sections: http://www.battlefoam.com/BattleFoamCustomForm.pdf

2) Gather the model

3) Place the model on the Custom Trace Sheet that has a ruler. All pages with tracings must have a ruler on the side. This helps to ensure that any resizing due to printers, faxes, or programs can be properly corrected once we receive them.

4) Carefully start tracing the model as close to the edge as possible with a pencil or pen. Keep a close eye that the model does not move or shift during tracing. When finished remove the model and retrace the shape with a marker such as a Sharpie. For visual reference please see our examples at http://us.battlefoam.com/pages/Custom-Order-Form.html.

5) Label. Please be as detailed with your description as possible

6) Write your first name, last name, phone number, email address, and order number (if you have it) on the Custom Trace Sheet

7) http://us.battlefoam.com/categories/...ut-Foam-Trays/ -- Use this link to purchase your desired size tray.

Hope this helps you get started!
    Customer Service
    Battle Foam®
    (877) 336-3626 #2100 [Phone]
    (877) 854-4244 [Fax]

Don't know if this heps anyone, but I really would like a storage solution of some kind!

Thanks for the information Charles. If you are looking for storage solutions check out these threads. Personally I magnetized the bases and use Stackable cases from JoAnn Fabrics:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...hlight=storage

Nice boxes for displaying fully rigged ships as well.

Hopefully this will give you ideas and save money! While I do have KR cases for my WoG aircraft, I generally don't like spending too much on storage.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

I know, and I have them in somehting liek that now. But with lugging my ships from Tuesday's Napoleonic group, to either Wenesday or Thursday's FLGS night, to usually the gaming group one or two Saturday's a month, I'd like to have them in nice foam and a bag so I worry about them less in the trunk :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CSherrange View Post
    I know, and I have them in somehting liek that now. But with lugging my ships from Tuesday's Napoleonic group, to either Wenesday or Thursday's FLGS night, to usually the gaming group one or two Saturday's a month, I'd like to have them in nice foam and a bag so I worry about them less in the trunk :-)
    Pluck foam and the 'portable warfare the Sergeant' bags works great
    http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...0&d=1389931386