Thread: SOG package Customs charges

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Martin

Default SOG package Customs charges

Have you all had VAT charges for your kickstarter packages?

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

UK Customs was always to efficient for its own good

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

No, the distribution company put the valuecof the package as 5 dollars so it was well below the threshold

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    UK Customs was always to efficient for its own good
    They do of course collect some of the money that pays my wages so they aren't all bad

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    No, the distribution company put the valuecof the package as 5 dollars so it was well below the threshold
    Well, if they also had put a proper invoice on the outside of the box, it /might/ have worked for German customs. Might, because $5 for a captain levels box does not sound very convincing, even if you only assume material costs.

As it is, I have to take the invoice from Ares Games, as well my payment confirmation to collect the box, and they will charge me 19% VAT. But I knew that going in.

Sorry for the hijacking of the UK fleet forum. ;)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, the invoice in the handy plastic sleeve on the side of the box clearly stated $5.

Your shipment a proper invoice? As it looks mine only had a "Customs Declaration Dispatch Note" (which is not an invoice), but I'll only know for sure when I see the box on Monday at the customs office.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

You might welll be right, anyway I removed and binned it so I can't chek. But it listed the contents and stated a declared value, and that declared value was $5

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Mine too said $5 and the mats were $1. I do not know how they managed to get through like that.

Well, they didn't here, damn the suspicious German customs. 19% VAT paid. There was no true invoice on the package, just the customs declaration slip. Not good enough for German customs officials. ;)

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Martin

My package arrived today! But yes the paperwork stated the same as the others $5 value but I still had the charge...

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Which charge? On what basis did they calculate a charge?

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom

Same as everyone else, down at a low value and it you read description it said something like "sample copy" or "review sample" so the low value.

Which I think is fair it we did kick-start it so its not the same as buying at retail.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I had to pay V.A.T. plus a Parcelforce handling charge on my series 2 package.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I also paid vat and parcel force charge for wave 2

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Seems a bit strange, my understanding is if VAT is paid within the country of origin and is part of the EU (I believe Italy is) then there should be no problems. Its only an issue if it came directly from their manufacturer in China.

I'm sure someone from the excise will correct me but that's why we are in the EU isn't it?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
    Seems a bit strange, my understanding is if VAT is paid within the country of origin and is part of the EU (I believe Italy is) then there should be no problems. Its only an issue if it came directly from their manufacturer in China.

I'm sure someone from the excise will correct me but that's why we are in the EU isn't it?
    Ah the Series two , as well as initial Kickstarters were all posted/ distributed from the US, that's why the VAT was to be paid.
    Parcelforce just add there bit on to charge you for going to their depot to pick it up

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And I thought *USPS* was bad...

English pirates no longer go to sea...they go to work for the post office.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Blackbeard's ghost be hoistin' the colors of Royal Mail, eh, matey? LOL

Yo ho ho and a bag of mail

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What types of charges are present if a shipmate sent a box of ships, books, etc.?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Books are free from Value Added Tax but model ships would be charged 20% of their value (if they cost more than £15) and then Parcel Force (Royal Mail) charge an £8 (about $13) fee for collecting the tax and sending it to H.M. Revenue and Customs.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It used to be if second hand and a gift then they were also exempt, but not sure if that still the case

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Books are free from Value Added Tax but model ships would be charged 20% of their value (if they cost more than £15) and then Parcel Force (Royal Mail) charge an £8 (about $13) fee for collecting the tax and sending it to H.M. Revenue and Customs.
    Looks like things haven't improved across the pond since the American War of Independence.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Do I understand correctly that the charge for collection could be more than the amount originally collected?

So if I sent you ships that cost 20 pounds, you would end up paying an additional 12 pounds (VAT and Parcel Force)? And added to that would be my cost for the ship and postage. If I am getting this right, then it is rather demotivating in terms of sending gifts. What would be meant as a gift would actually cost the recipient a chunk of change.

Ah, I just saw Chris' post that gifts might be exempt. How could I find out?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Check out the this page on the H.M.R.C. website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm

It does say that gifts under £36 sent direct are exempt but not gifts bought online for someone else.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, David. I just looked through a few links, and found a bunch of bullet points on sending gifts.

I will ensure any gifts sent are under the cutoff amount, and that it is clearly stated on the custom form that the enclosed is a gift.