Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Naval Action-PC Game in the Works

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    A little older than most ships I've seen in from the game so far. About a century older than Trincomalee.

Nice to see a little more of non-British, French, Spanish ship. I'm not playing but apart from USS Constitution is there any?
    Yes:

New ships in game as of May update:

Ingermanland (posted above by Jim) 66 gun Russian 4th rate circa 1715 (which is why you still have the sprit tops'l).
    Rattlesnake. US 20 gun privateer (ship-sloop rig) circa AWI. A very fast and maneuverable ship also posted above - I have a yellow speed Snake two of us took out a Pirate LGV the other night (he was boarding modded and his fire suffered for it).
    Indiaman - Generic HEIC company ship - modeled after the Falmouth -the large one 1300 tons with 26 18 lb guns (technically a British ship though).

Others:

Fair American - US brig model for generic brig and the navy brig version in game.
    Mercury - Russian 20 gun brig of 1820
    Frigate - small 18 lb 5th rate modeled after a Russian ship whose name slips my mind atm.
    Lynx and Privateer - both modeled after the US privateer schooner Lynx
    USS Essex
    USS Niagara
    St. Paval - Russian 80 gun 2nd rate SOL

Oh and the Yacht is Dutch.

Upcoming ships include a Danish ship, an Ocean class SOL, a Spanish frigate and I believe a Dutch ship.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Yes:

New ships in game as of May update:

Ingermanland (posted above by Jim) 66 gun Russian 4th rate circa 1715 (which is why you still have the sprit tops'l).
    Rattlesnake. US 20 gun privateer (ship-sloop rig) circa AWI. A very fast and maneuverable ship also posted above - I have a yellow speed Snake two of us took out a Pirate LGV the other night (he was boarding modded and his fire suffered for it).
    Indiaman - Generic HEIC company ship - modeled after the Falmouth -the large one 1300 tons with 26 18 lb guns (technically a British ship though).

Others:

Fair American - US brig model for generic brig and the navy brig version in game.
    Mercury - Russian 20 gun brig of 1820
    Frigate - small 18 lb 5th rate modeled after a Russian ship whose name slips my mind atm.
    Lynx and Privateer - both modeled after the US privateer schooner Lynx
    USS Essex
    USS Niagara
    St. Paval - Russian 80 gun 2nd rate SOL

Oh and the Yacht is Dutch.

Upcoming ships include a Danish ship, an Ocean class SOL, a Spanish frigate and I believe a Dutch ship.
    Eric, any idea when the Orient is going to hit the waves? I keep telling folks it was larger than the Santisima, but they don't believe me. I want to see how the devs model it and then compare it side by side with my Santi.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Eric, any idea when the Orient is going to hit the waves? I keep telling folks it was larger than the Santisima, but they don't believe me. I want to see how the devs model it and then compare it side by side with my Santi.
    Not sure. A little while ago one of the modelers was in our TeamSpeak channel and posted up some images of the Bucentuare model. I think we may see her before the Orient.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

While I haven't had much time to play Naval Action recently I did just see that the company that's working on its development has recently put up another Early Access simulation on Steam. It's a follow up to their Ultimate General: Gettysburg game, which has received many positive reviews.

This latest entry is called Ultimate General: Civil War. Currently on sale on Steam. No plans for any kind of naval action as far as I've looked so far?

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultim...ral-civil-war/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/

Cheers.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-03-2017 at 09:59. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

While I haven't had much time to play Naval Action recently I did just see that the company that's working on it's development has recently put up another Early Access simulation on Steam. It's a follow up to their Ultimate General: Gettysburg game, which has received many positive reviews.

This latest entry is called Ultimate General: Civil War. Currently on sale on Steam. No plans for any kind of naval action as far as I've looked so far?

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultim...ral-civil-war/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/

Cheers.
    I just bought the game and finished up my first battle a couple of hours ago! Lots of postivie reviews and some good you tube videos helped me decide to set away from Naval Action and start this one. Same developer who did the Gettysburg game - Nick Thomasidis (sp) who did Darthmod for the Total War series. The emphasis on this new title is the campaign mode, but there are also historical battles as well. The scale is brigade vs. regiment for UGG. The tactical level has been improved and the campaign element brings in logistics and strategy. The campaign is not just battles strung together but the player is managing his officer career and army as well. $25 on sale is a bargain and does not take up massive disc space either. On the whole it feels more like a finished game than an Early Access game. The big element missiing is multiplayer which in the earlier game was added at the very end of development.

Oh and Jim - Big new feature in NA - land in port battles to go with the new conquest system.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just had a look at this game Jim, and quite like the look of it.
    I used to enjoy playing Gettysburg until my Computer was upgraded and it was no longer compatible.
    For Ł29 it seems like it is worth taking a punt at it.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just bought the game and finished up my first battle a couple of hours ago! Lots of postivie reviews and some good you tube videos helped me decide to set away from Naval Action and start this one. Same developer who did the Gettysburg game - Nick Thomasidis (sp) who did Darthmod for the Total War series. The emphasis on this new title is the campaign mode, but there are also historical battles as well. The scale is brigade vs. regiment for UGG. The tactical level has been improved and the campaign element brings in logistics and strategy. The campaign is not just battles strung together but the player is managing his officer career and army as well. $25 on sale is a bargain and does not take up massive disc space either. On the whole it feels more like a finished game than an Early Access game. The big element missiing is multiplayer which in the earlier game was added at the very end of development.

Oh and Jim - Big new feature in NA - land in port battles to go with the new conquest system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Just had a look at this game Jim, and quite like the look of it.
    I used to enjoy playing Gettysburg until my Computer was upgraded and it was no longer compatible.
    For Ł29 it seems like it is worth taking a punt at it.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Rob.
    I couldn't resist the sale price, or the subject matter. I've not started it yet, but reading more reviews on the discussion page makes it appear this was a sound purchase.

Eric, I've only poked my head in the door of Naval Action a couple of times in the last few months. With more than 700 hours into the game I'm not exactly thrilled about the impending wipe they've announced. While there are rumors of some compensation the time and effort I've put into crafting a number of First Rates that are just going to go "poof' does not make me happy at all.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I recently checked back with the Naval Action PC game on Steam. The player population has declined drastically on both the pvp and pve servers, but the developers keep plugging new things (and ships) into the game. I managed to purchase a fairly rare ship l'Ocean last night. Photos below.

Name:  NavalActionOceanClass1.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  NavalActionOceanClass2.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  NavalActionOceanClass3.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  147.9 KB

HMS Indefatigable and HMS Endymion are in game, as is the Bucentaure.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The artwork and detail on those ships is magnificent Jim.
    Are you going to be able to point us to any more of the narrated actions that you posted before, or are they all ceased now?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The artwork and detail on those ships is magnificent Jim.
    Are you going to be able to point us to any more of the narrated actions that you posted before, or are they all ceased now?
    Rob.
    Rob, it would be great to have those large ship actions again, but I fear that at least on the pve server there just aren't going to be enough players online at the same time to facilitate that? I also read last night that there are rumors that the pve folks are going to be moved out of the Caribbean to the west coast of North and South America. That would entail us giving up almost all we worked for.

I did find a gentleman who regularly posts YouTube videos on large engagements on the PVP One server. You might want to check some of them out?

Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-14-2017 at 15:46. Reason: typo
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a great shame Jim. You seemed to have such a well formed group there, and the presentation and commentary were superb.
    I realize that it must be heart rending for yourself when you have committed so much time and effort into building up your ships etc. and hope that some way is found to resurrect the game.
    At least I can say thank you for showing me what could be achieved on these games systems.
    Thanks for advising me of this other source. I will give it a look over as soon as time permits.
    Rob.

Update on Naval Action. It has been awhile since anyone posted about this PC game so I thought I’d post an update. As can be gleaned from Jim’s last post in January the population of the game was declining. There were several reasons for this but ultimately the developers were trying to please too many different play styles at once. The game is definitely a time sink and even more so in 2017. The developers recognized a segment of the player based only wanted quick battles – like an arena game, think World of Tanks. So they started work on one – temporary title “Naval Action Legends” and it is in closed beta testing. (I am part of the test group). Here is a summary of what has occurred in 2017:

1. Major wipe and game reset in May 2017.

a. Players kept rank and xp earned and were given starter ships – HMS Indefatigable, HMS Pickle schooner, a Merchant brig and HMS Surprise.
    b. The devs decided to test a hardcore MMO mode and changed the way one build up skill on ships and how the crafting and economy worked. A new combat/damage model was introduced. The game became less friendly for solo and casual players. It is now RvR or Nation vs. Nation focused.
    c. Ships to 1 durability or life. Previous each ship was good for 5 sinkings before it and all the upgrades on it were gone. Now with changes to the way upgrades work ships that are sunk are sunk (or captured).

2. Servers were changed because of issues with port battles in different time zones.

a. PVP EU – A European based server with port battles cut off by 23:00 hrs GMT
    b. PVP Global – A US based server with no time limits on port battles.
    c. PVE server – No player v player battles

3. New Ships added.

a. Wasa – No not the Vasa but a Swedish 4th rate 60 gun SoL launched in 1778. She was originally armed with 24 pdr/18 pdr on the gun decks but the game allows 32 pdr/24 pdr that she was at one time armed with.
    b. L’Herminone Just like the current replica!
    c. Prince de Neufchatel Famous US privateer schooner – in game rigged as hermaphrodite brig.

4. End of August 2017 Major Patch with conquest changes and rollback of hardcore mode.

a. Improvements to crafting and economy – easier and cheaper to craft ships.
    b. Each nation given
    c. Safe zones brought back with overwhelming reinforcements for players in their national safe zone.
    d. Clan control of conquest and port battles.

5. Naval Action Legends Arena Game.
    a. Testing on arena version of game – basically like setting up a points based scenario in SoG with a 60 minute timer. Most battles which are 5v5 right now take 20 minutes. Early days yet and the server is only open on the weekends so playing is limited.
    b. I am hoping this will allow for some realism that they sacrificed in the open world game, like shallows in battle (already in game).

That's my update - now back to painting miniatures!

BTW there is an upcoming game on ancient galley warfare "Mare Nostrum" which looks quite nice.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=650

Cheers!

Eric

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks very much for taking the time to bring us this update Eric.
    I am sure tat it will interest quite a few other shipmates.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

My son has the Total War game. He hasn't played it for a while. I'm not into video games anymore but I would sit behind him and watch.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The developers of Naval Action have introduced a new style of game called Naval Action Legends. As described by others it's basically World of Warships in the Age of Sail. It's in Beta on Steam now. I don't know if there's a cost to those who don't already own the Early Access version of Naval Action? Here's a YouTube sampling for your pleasure. Skip to the five minute mark to avoid waiting for the longish matchmaking process to conclude. Cheers.

–English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very enjoyable series of actions Jim.
    Spent an hour watching that.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Watched those battles. I was frustrated a few times. That player had no respect for raking fire. He turned his stern regularly and seldom used his own chances for a good stern raking. He also had some extreme wish for collisions. I noted that they did no noticeable damage.

A little fun to see the ship flying Swedish colours though.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

A very enjoyable series of actions Jim.
    Spent an hour watching that.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Watched those battles. I was frustrated a few times. That player had no respect for raking fire. He turned his stern regularly and seldom used his own chances for a good stern raking. He also had some extreme wish for collisions. I noted that they did no noticeable damage.

A little fun to see the ship flying Swedish colours though.
    If he's fighting AI rather than human opponents he might know of some reason for sailing differently. I know for a fact that the AI 'cheats' terribly because that's exactly how the developers have coded it. Just after I posted the above video I saw that there's been a new patch. The devs are adding even more realism with drifting, variable winds, etc. You'll note that the author is rather amazed that his rudder is destroyed 13 or 14 times. ;) See attached.

–English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Most impressive! I agree with the earlier comment of it being cool to see Swedish and Dutch ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must echo Jona's remark about the raking shots. He had several chances to get a full rake on enemy ships and fired too soon before the move was completed. Mind you it's easy for me to say from my armchair!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

These are the ships I want to see for Sails of Glory. It's the Swedish Wasa-class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7iFlMz13X4

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another enthralling battle Jonas.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That guy Tac were in more than a few enthralling battles!
    Several against the odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4imDSlK64sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RwvkBnMUeI

I've put it on my wishlist. Perhaps might buy it later.

I am a closed beta tester for the Legends version of Naval Action (NAL) for short. Jim hit the nail on the head - Age of sail World of Warships or World of Tanks if you will. Although battles take a bit longer for NAL - sometimes up to 40minutes.

Right now the beta is open to players who have purchased the Naval Action MMO game (which has been on sale several times btw). The devs plan is to have NAL be in the FTP model, again akin to WoWs, with premium accounts and content. One of the biggest gripes among testers now is the cannon grind, that is you start with 4lb guns on a cutter, but for each ship you need a certain amount of xp to unlock better guns. Ships up to 6th rate start with the 4 lb guns and the smallest frigate starts with 6 lb guns. Kind of a pain to have a 5th rate that is nominally a 12 pdr frigate start off with 6 lb guns!

So far none of the new sailing physics have made it into NAL from the open world game. Hopefully it will all make it in. I was sailing and fighting in the Agamemnon yesterday and she tacks like you would expect a 64 gun ship to tack - think using both sides of the red cards in SoG!

As for the videos there you may be seeing a new player or in particular in NAL you see people disregard a stern rake because taking out the side structure is more important to a quick kill. Now on the open world you will see a lot of stern raking to kill crew and take out guns. This is one of the aspects of the game that has been hard to balance - players end up doing what is called "stern tanking" that is showing their stern even to a possible rake to preserve their side structure.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thanks. That explains things.

Been watching even more. Two Wasas meet a Spanish fleet of five Wasas and an Agamemnon plus tree frigates. They sink the frigates and heavily damage the ships of the line so they flee and escape.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RwvkBnMUeI

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I am a closed beta tester for the Legends version of Naval Action (NAL) for short. Jim hit the nail on the head - Age of sail World of Warships or World of Tanks if you will. Although battles take a bit longer for NAL - sometimes up to 40minutes.

Right now the beta is open to players who have purchased the Naval Action MMO game (which has been on sale several times btw). The devs plan is to have NAL be in the FTP model, again akin to WoWs, with premium accounts and content. One of the biggest gripes among testers now is the cannon grind, that is you start with 4lb guns on a cutter, but for each ship you need a certain amount of xp to unlock better guns. Ships up to 6th rate start with the 4 lb guns and the smallest frigate starts with 6 lb guns. Kind of a pain to have a 5th rate that is nominally a 12 pdr frigate start off with 6 lb guns!

So far none of the new sailing physics have made it into NAL from the open world game. Hopefully it will all make it in. I was sailing and fighting in the Agamemnon yesterday and she tacks like you would expect a 64 gun ship to tack - think using both sides of the red cards in SoG!

As for the videos there you may be seeing a new player or in particular in NAL you see people disregard a stern rake because taking out the side structure is more important to a quick kill. Now on the open world you will see a lot of stern raking to kill crew and take out guns. This is one of the aspects of the game that has been hard to balance - players end up doing what is called "stern tanking" that is showing their stern even to a possible rake to preserve their side structure.
    Hey Eric. I gave NAL a try yesterday, which is a huge stretch because I normally avoid PVP like the plague. Starting out in a cutter was a pain when I'm used to the heavy hitters in the open world Naval Action. Better ships with better everything made quick history of me. I think the devs are going to have to do a much better job of matchmaking or you'll have massive quitters (no one is going to want to be pummeled time after time after time)? Wait times are also a bit on the long side?

As a first impression I thought the awards for participation were meager at best. I have over 1,150 hours invested in the MMO/Open World version so I cannot see spending a matching number of hours to 'level up' a character in this version.

Like Naval Action the game looks beautiful and I wish the developers all the best in this iteration.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I thought some of you might enjoy this YouTube video? There are some new ships in Naval Action with the Christian VII being one of the latest. I'm back into the game for now, but unsure how long that will last. As they get closer to a 'final release' there will likely be a total wipe of player content. Having already put 1120 hours into the 'alpha' I'm not really looking into starting over. In any case enjoy the video (some music comes in later in the vid, about the 1:08 mark). Cheers!

–English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting introduction to night sailing which I have not evidenced before Jim.
    It looks very good as far as it goes.
    I will follow your further evaluation with interest.
    Rob.

I thought some of you might enjoy this YouTube video? There are some new ships in Naval Action with the Christian VII being one of the latest. I'm back into the game for now, but unsure how long that will last. As they get closer to a 'final release' there will likely be a total wipe of player content. Having already put 1120 hours into the 'alpha' I'm not really looking into starting over. In any case enjoy the video (some music comes in later in the vid, about the 1:08 mark). Cheers!

Jim:

As for the wipe your rank/xp/crafting level are safe. The developers are considering allowing knowledge slots on ships to stay as well, so the wipe will be ships/money/buildings mostly. They have also promised a gift ship on release for alpha testers - the Pandora. Obviously any DLC you buy will remain as well.

If you play mostly on the PVE server then I think the next patch will be important - rework of trading with trade missions as well. The key for the PVE server is whether they will bring back some type of AI aggression and that is being discussed as well. Then you'll have a much better single player game experience. I have not been playing much lately because of the gear grind for the modules is not casual friendly.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim:

As for the wipe your rank/xp/crafting level are safe. The developers are considering allowing knowledge slots on ships to stay as well, so the wipe will be ships/money/buildings mostly. They have also promised a gift ship on release for alpha testers - the Pandora. Obviously any DLC you buy will remain as well.

If you play mostly on the PVE server then I think the next patch will be important - rework of trading with trade missions as well. The key for the PVE server is whether they will bring back some type of AI aggression and that is being discussed as well. Then you'll have a much better single player game experience. I have not been playing much lately because of the gear grind for the modules is not casual friendly.
    Hey Eric,
    Thanks for the information. I've seen some of what you're saying on the Game Labs forums, but not that info on the Pandora. The AI for the PVE server is interesting. When I first started 'testing' the game years back I encountered that off the Cuban coast. It definitely raised my awareness level (and my blood pressure). I don't sense this is all that popular an idea on the PVE server and maybe the PVP server as well? In order for this to work they're going to have to significantly reduce the packs of roaming NPC ships. A fleet of 10 1st rates roaming at will off my outposts is not a pleasant thought. ;)

Any sense on when the game will 'launch' on Steam? Having returned recently I'm getting the strong impression that folks are not returning until the game is live; essentially they're not going to play until after a 'final wipe'.
    –English Proverb

Hey Eric,
    Thanks for the information. I've seen some of what you're saying on the Game Labs forums, but not that info on the Pandora. The AI for the PVE server is interesting. When I first started 'testing' the game years back I encountered that off the Cuban coast. It definitely raised my awareness level (and my blood pressure). I don't sense this is all that popular an idea on the PVE server and maybe the PVP server as well? In order for this to work they're going to have to significantly reduce the packs of roaming NPC ships. A fleet of 10 1st rates roaming at will off my outposts is not a pleasant thought. ;)

Any sense on when the game will 'launch' on Steam? Having returned recently I'm getting the strong impression that folks are not returning until the game is live; essentially they're not going to play until after a 'final wipe'.

Hard to say. I think they intend to release in 2019 the question is when. They are testing localization and new in battle UI right now on the test server. You can log on to test by creating a new chacacter with redeemables for xp, money and ships (Rattlesnake, Agamemnon, Trinc and Victory). If you get 25 AI kills plus win 5 boarding combats your main account will get a paint chest and a Santa Cecilia Link to instructions on how to get to test server through steam:

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/28...status-closed/

Note that the server is closed for the weekend for patching and maintenance.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hard to say. I think they intend to release in 2019 the question is when. They are testing localization and new in battle UI right now on the test server. You can log on to test by creating a new chacacter with redeemables for xp, money and ships (Rattlesnake, Agamemnon, Trinc and Victory). If you get 25 AI kills plus win 5 boarding combats your main account will get a paint chest and a Santa Cecilia Link to instructions on how to get to test server through steam:

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/28...status-closed/

Note that the server is closed for the weekend for patching and maintenance.
    Thanks for that update and reply, Eric. Having played several days now by far the biggest complaint I'm seeing (practically non stop) is the total lack of NPC ships. Adding to that are the complaints concerning the few NPC ships you do see are almost always in huge fleets. I hope they adjust that issue, which certainly impacts small guilds or solo players?
    –English Proverb

Thanks for that update and reply, Eric. Having played several days now by far the biggest complaint I'm seeing (practically non stop) is the total lack of NPC ships. Adding to that are the complaints concerning the few NPC ships you do see are almost always in huge fleets. I hope they adjust that issue, which certainly impacts small guilds or solo players?
    I am not sure if the NPC distribution is different on the PVE server. On PVP they changed it so most enemy NPCs sail in their own waters, so forcing players to sail away from their home base to find a lot of ships. Riskier for PVP encounters of course. Lately I have been playing in the Haiti area near La Tortue and I have found some enemy traders and solo warships sailing along the coast even in the midst of Prussian ports (Yes Prussian but that's another story!). That area is also close to the Pirate islands so I also run across Pirate NPCs (and players).