So Continuous Fire is an optional rule that allows you to keep firing off broadsides without reloading. The downside is that it does half damage.

I like the idea behind the rule as I can imagine it being in the heat of battle and a "fire at will" type of thing, but it seems to be inherently flawed and I'd like your opinion on it.

For starters you halve damage. Okay, seems fair enough, but if you are doing an even amount of damage (such as 4, 6 or 8) then halving this ... and firing every turn ... it effectively does exactly the same damage as a "reload-fire." Only in odd-damage instances (because you round down) will continuous fire lose you any form of damage.

Additionally - and this is the big one for me - because you do not reload, you do not have to pick an ammo type in advance. The rules even say you pick one in secret and reveal it. Which means you are picking every round and every half-salvo ... which gives you absolutely complete flexibility in the ammo type being shot (you can't do double-shot, though).

Which has me begging the question: if this rule is in use, why would you NOT "continuous fire?"

Would it be better to divide damage by 3 vs. 2?

Thoughts?