Was continuous fire more manpower intensive? Honestly while I like forcing the pre-selection of ammo, doing it by doubling the action chits used strikes me as a bit odd.

I think I will do it this way:

- If you choose a fire action in the planning phase, and that broadside is unloaded, then during the action phase you must choose an ammo chit and put it under the fire action. If you use the fire action (which by definition will be continuous fire) then you use that ammo. If you don't fire, the ammo is discarded

- When using continuous fire, and you have an even number of gunnery factors, you take a "half chit" penalty (randomize one of the damage chits with a blank). [For poorly trained gunners this would apply when the gunnery factors is a multiple of 3.]

That should smooth out the large and contrived difference between odd and even gunnery factors, and ensure that there is a small but uniform penalty for using continuous fire. This seems fair, since presumably volley fire had a certain increased effectiveness (actual and perceived) by being concentrated.