Thread: New to the Age of Sails, here is a simple guide to mast and sails

Hybrid View

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom

In plain or battle sail are the stays and jib normally taken down? The graphic seems to suggest it. The models always have them.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomrcast View Post
    In plain or battle sail are the stays and jib normally taken down? The graphic seems to suggest it. The models always have them.
    The headsails played an important roll in turning through the wind. Same with the spanker. However, most of the models have spritsails, and by this period it was a sail that was rarely used. Most period illustrations show the spritsail spar bare. To that end, I have removed the spritsails from my models and replaced them with a tiny bit of carbon fiber rod ( and added rod on the frigates that didn't have any and the British 1st rates).

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tom

So forgive my ignorance but the head sails are the jib and stay sails in the diagram? And they should remain up in fighting sail?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomrcast View Post
    So forgive my ignorance but the head sails are the jib and stay sails in the diagram? And they should remain up in fighting sail?
    Yes, those are the headsails. It is my understanding that the typical fighting sail configuration was topsails, maybe t'gallants, and headsails and spanker. The idea was maximum maneuverability with minimum crew handling.

Nelson went for all sail (I think including stuns'ls) at Trafalgar to break the combined fleet's line as fast as possible in light air.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Thanks Keith for your thread very helpful