Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: There Be Pirates Here-Black Pearl-Just for Fun Repaint

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Andy, if we would like a card of the Black Pearl, should we just save the image in post #91 and resize?

I will be teaching some Jr. High boys the game, and I think having a pirate ship or two would draw them in.

Really impressive work on this thread, guys. I admire your artistic skills.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roberts View Post
    Jim,

Interesting indeed as my last name is Roberts...... Which ship are you planning on using?

Andy
    Thanks Andy, please give priority to Jaime's Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm in no rush at all and just started the repaint this evening. The ship I'll be using is also from the starter set. The Courageuse, 1785. Cheers!!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  80.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  149.9 KBHere is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.Attachment 8853
    Last edited by RickyBobbyFan; 02-04-2014 at 05:22.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Andy, if we would like a card of the Black Pearl, should we just save the image in post #91 and resize?

I will be teaching some Jr. High boys the game, and I think having a pirate ship or two would draw them in.

Really impressive work on this thread, guys. I admire your artistic skills.
    Eric - yes, use the one from post #91 and resize if needed. I though I had it to the correct size but the transfer of file types may have changed it. Good luck with the Jr. High boys - let us know how the game goes.

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by RickyBobbyFan View Post
    Andy that is extremely nice of you. Yes here is the flag I found for this ship. Attachment 8851
    Could you please make Queen Anne's Revenge with 8 and burden 3? I will post a photo of my painted ship if I can figure out how.
    Jaime,

Will do, and I will post this sometime tomorrow. Oh, do you like the font I used on the Black Pearl? I ask as I have another 'pirate" type font I can use.

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Andy, please give priority to Jaime's Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm in no rush at all and just started the repaint this evening. The ship I'll be using is also from the starter set. The Courageuse, 1785. Cheers!!
    Jim,

Sounds good. I will have Jaime's rough draft posted tomorrow and we will probably work things out on it over the next few days. After that, I'll post the rough draft for yours.

Andy

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.Attachment 8853
    Jaime, for some reason I can't see your attachment?

Jim,

Sounds good. I will have Jaime's rough draft posted tomorrow and we will probably work things out on it over the next few days. After that, I'll post the rough draft for yours.

Andy
    Andy,
    That sounds great, and thanks again!
    Jim

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Yes the font you used for the Black Pearl is perfect. Thank you Andy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jaime, I certainly don't think your repaint is horrible!! I like the red sails, which really adds to the ominous reputation of Blackbeard!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Some really great work in here guys!

Andy, you should save your graphics for these as PDFs and upload them to the Files System. We can setup a category for Pirate Ships in there where people can get every thing they need in one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Here is a terrible picture of my painted Queen Anne's Revenge.
    One of these days I'll get around to painting one up with dark red sails as well... looks really great!
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That is an interesting/intriguing repaint, Jaime. I, too, don't think it is horrible, at all - I like the red a lot. It will make a statement on the table, for sure.

I really like these ships. I think they will make for great gateways when introducing nonwargamers to SoG. For young newbies, I think they would enjoy a pirate theme much more than a Napoleonic theme for their first game. It is easier for them to get their imagination into the game, some measure of familiarity there. Once a game or two is under their belt, I can see how easy it would be to usher in Napoleonic's, especially in conjunction with a movie or an episode of Hornblower.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post

Andy, you should save your graphics for these as PDFs and upload them to the Files System. We can setup a category for Pirate Ships in there where people can get every thing they need in one spot.
    Please do guys!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That is an interesting/intriguing repaint, Jaime. I, too, don't think it is horrible, at all - I like the red a lot. It will make a statement on the table, for sure.

I really like these ships. I think they will make for great gateways when introducing nonwargamers to SoG. For young newbies, I think they would enjoy a pirate theme much more than a Napoleonic theme for their first game. It is easier for them to get their imagination into the game, some measure of familiarity there. Once a game or two is under their belt, I can see how easy it would be to usher in Napoleonic's, especially in conjunction with a movie or an episode of Hornblower.
    Hi guys, sorry I meant my photo taking ability is bad. The finished product
    Does look very good, thank you for the compliments on the
    Ship. Can't wait to set sail with it. Jim & Andy
    Thank so much for your support on this fun project.
    Keep the great ideas coming.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I passed some of my saved files from Andy's work on to Eric for some testing, but if Andy saves everything as a PDF that would be great. I have files for flags of the Black Pearl and Royal Fortune, but don't know how they might save as uploads?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

What file format are the flags in?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

What file format are the flags in?
    At the moment in MS Publisher, or .pub file. I could probably change them to .jpg or .png without much hassle? Let me go try.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

I can do this. I would like to get a couple finalized first then I will transfer and upload them to the Files.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

If you have the ability to make the canvas or page size the standard 8.5x11 while keeping the graphics the correct size, save them as either JPG or PNG. One of us can convert that image to a PDF and combine it with Andy's PDF file.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I can do this. I would like to get a couple finalized first then I will transfer and upload them to the Files.
    That would be great. I would ask that you make and upload a separate file for each ship (easier to manage down the road if need be).

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hi Andy, you have done incredible work on the Black Pearl base and card. I am going to paint up Queen Anne's Revenge, would consider using the exact same items you made for Jim and change the name to Queen Anne's Revenge?
    Jaime,

Here is the ship card and ship stat for your Queen Anne's Revenge. Let me know if you want any changes.
    Name:  QAR Card.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Ship StatsQAR.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  108.7 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jaime,

Here is the ship card and ship stat for your Queen Anne's Revenge. Let me know if you want any changes.
    Sweet looking card and log, Andy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here's an experiment. I converted the Queen Anne's Revenge Flag I made in MS Publisher to a .jpg. Would this file type work as a file upload? I've been using a labeling tool in MS Publisher which is why there are four flags. I'm assuming you could load this .jpg into any program for sizing and printing? Then just cut out the flag bend over a thread using some white glue and you have a flag. Depending on ink and paper you can reform the flag to your preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 02-04-2014 at 15:47.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Here's an experiment. I converted the Queen Anne's Revenge Flag I made in MS Publisher to a .jpg. Would this file type work as a file upload? I've been using a labeling tool in MS Publisher which is why there are four flags. I'm assuming you could load this .jpg into any program for sizing and printing? Then just cut out the flag bend over a thread using some white glue and you have a flag. Depending on ink and paper you can reform the flag to your preference.
    Nicely done Jim!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Keith,

I have the Black Pearl set up as a PDF and ready to upload. Did you want me to wait until the Pirate Ships category is setup before I upload it?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Hey Andy, that is some awesome work!!!! I do need to check which deck the ship I converted uses, not sure if it is C or something else. Thank you so much for putting this together. I am traveling right now but when I get home I will track down the maneuver deck.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Andy, that is some awesome work!!!! I do need to check which deck the ship I converted uses, not sure if it is C or something else. Thank you so much for putting this together. I am traveling right now but when I get home I will track down the maneuver deck.
    Jaime, if you're using the Terpsichore the stats are burden 2, maneuver deck C and veer of 8. The Courageuse is burden of 3, maneuver deck A and veer of 7 (this is the ship I'll be using for the Royal Fortune). Cheers!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Jaime, if you're using the Terpsichore the stats are burden 2, maneuver deck C and veer of 8. The Courageuse is burden of 3, maneuver deck A and veer of 7 (this is the ship I'll be using for the Royal Fortune). Cheers!
    Thank you Jim. I used a frigate I purchased separately from the Starter set. Will have to check when I get back in town.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Keith,

I have the Black Pearl set up as a PDF and ready to upload. Did you want me to wait until the Pirate Ships category is setup before I upload it?
    I just created it for you. Thanks.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thank you Jim. I used a frigate I purchased separately from the Starter set. Will have to check when I get back in town.
    Sounds good, Jaime. Andy might have to edit your card and log then? Can't wait to see the final ship and base.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

If you guys keep this up, we might have to have a special Pirate section here on the forums.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If you guys keep this up, we might have to have a special Pirate section here on the forums.
    Well, if Ares follows through on their FB statement that might be something for down the road? Pirates and Privateers are popular.

A separate pirate game set in the Golden Age of Piracy would probably do well. It could use the current game system or something similar to it. It would be like WGF and WGS, similar but different. A Kickstarter would do well if Ares wanted to finance it that way.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think they are going to stick to historic pirates. But fictional and embellished pirates ships could be come a very popular hobby aspect. I actually think they would do well to license Pirates of the Caribbean (they already license LotR) and do a full range in that setting. Pirates are very popular as we all know and going to the fictional side of things allows lots of options that would not otherwise be available. Build in a little bit of role play or captain building and they would be staring at a chest full of gold!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Hi Andy, I used the HMS Concorde 1783 for the Queen Anne's revenge.
    Could you please change the Manuever deck to A? Then it will be ready
    To print and play. Thank you once again for doing this.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hi Andy, I used the HMS Concorde 1783 for the Queen Anne's revenge.
    Could you please change the Manuever deck to A? Then it will be ready
    To print and play. Thank you once again for doing this.
    Jaime,

I'm currently at work and I do not have all of the information in front of me, but is the maneuver deck letter the only thing you need me to change?

I can check the other info tonight and get it changed and posted.

Andy

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Bartholomew Roberts (17 May 1682 – 10 February 1722), born John Roberts, was a Welsh pirate who raided ships off the Americas and West Africa between 1719 and 1722. He was the most successful pirate of the Golden Age of Piracy, as measured by vessels captured, taking over 470 prizes in his career. He is also known as Black Bart (Welsh: Barti Ddu), but this name was never used in his lifetime. In the novel The Princess Bride and its film adaptation, protagonist Westley dons the mantle of the Dread Pirate Roberts, a mythical figure inspired by Bartholomew Roberts.

Image and information taken directly from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

Roberts main ship was the Royal Fortune, of which he had several over the course of his career. The Royal Fortune is my latest pirate repaint. I used the SoG starter set ship Courageuse 1778 as the base for this interpretation. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Jaime,

I'm currently at work and I do not have all of the information in front of me, but is the maneuver deck letter the only thing you need me to change?

I can check the other info tonight and get it changed and posted.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Yes sir. Just the Manuever deck change from C to A would be awesome. Thank you Sir!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Jim, outstanding work-the red really stands out. Did you post already on how you added all the rigging and additional lines ans where you got the supplies to make them?

That red & black paint scheme looks great.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes sir. Just the Manuever deck change from C to A would be awesome. Thank you Sir!
    Ahoy Jaime,

How does these look?
    Name:  QAR Card.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Ship StatsQAR.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  108.7 KB

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim,

Amazing as always sir. I really like the look of the red and the weathered sails. I will have your ship card and stats later this evening or tomorrow.

Andy

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, outstanding work-the red really stands out. Did you post already on how you added all the rigging and additional lines ans where you got the supplies to make them?
    Thanks! The rigging is directly from Rod Langton's book on painting and rigging Age of Sail ships. Check out this thread on our site for the book and information on supplies as well: http://www.sailsofglory.org/content....-HMS-Sovereign

One place I know of you can purchase the book: http://waterloominis.com/oscommerce/...roducts_id=242

Jim,

Amazing as always sir. I really like the look of the red and the weathered sails. I will have your ship card and stats later this evening or tomorrow.

Andy
    Thanks Andy! There's no rush. I've got more touch up work to do and many other ships lined up for assembly and painting.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    That red & black paint scheme looks great.
    Thanks, Ed. The red isn't quite as bright as it's coming through on the photos. I suspect it's the heavy blue mat background that's weirding out the camera?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

These look fantastic. Another job well done. Thanks again Andy for updating these.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Amazing stuff can be found here
    Bravo!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

I printed out the ship card and mat. Please find a photo taken from an iPhone. Andy you do amazing work. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  123.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks great, Jaime!!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

Fine

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Bartholomew Roberts (17 May 1682 – 10 February 1722), born John Roberts, was a Welsh pirate who raided ships off the Americas and West Africa between 1719 and 1722. He was the most successful pirate of the Golden Age of Piracy, as measured by vessels captured, taking over 470 prizes in his career. He is also known as Black Bart (Welsh: Barti Ddu), but this name was never used in his lifetime. In the novel The Princess Bride and its film adaptation, protagonist Westley dons the mantle of the Dread Pirate Roberts, a mythical figure inspired by Bartholomew Roberts.

Image and information taken directly from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

Roberts main ship was the Royal Fortune, of which he had several over the course of his career. The Royal Fortune is my latest pirate repaint. I used the SoG starter set ship Courageuse 1778 as the base for this interpretation. Cheers!
    Jim, Here are the ship base card and ship stat card for the Royal Fortune. I hope they do your fine ship justice.

Name:  Royal Fortune.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  116.0 KBName:  Ship Stats RF.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  110.7 KB
    Andy
    Last edited by Mr Roberts; 02-13-2014 at 21:18.