Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: There Be Pirates Here-Black Pearl-Just for Fun Repaint

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Nightmoss - It should print out to the correct dimensions to fit in the ships base. Let me know if it doesn't as I can send you a different file of it that should.

I'm also working on an insert for the ship log also.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Do you use glossy photo paper for your cards?
    Ed, I"m just going to use regular paper first to see if the colors come out ok. I just have a basic printer/photo copier. The photo paper might be just a tad too thick too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roberts View Post
    Nightmoss - It should print out to the correct dimensions to fit in the ships base. Let me know if it doesn't as I can send you a different file of it that should.

I'm also working on an insert for the ship log also.
    I'm going to try to print out of MS Publisher sometime today. Will be cool to see what you come up with for the ship log as well!!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

That is really impressive, nice work on the ship card.

Looking at those stats, I get the slight feeling the "Pearl" might shift the balance quite a bit.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim,

I noticed that the one I attached is not correct (red dots on fireing cones are wrong).

Here is the corrected one.Name:  Black Pearl Card.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  116.7 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks to Andy's hard work on a custom card for the Black Pearl I was able to print and test how it would look in the base. However, according to his message above I'll be redoing the card, but that's OK because the conversion to metric measurements in MS Word did not come out as they should have. The existing card is just under what it should be (46mm x 71mm). I took some photos just so you could see how the card works (regular stock paper for now) and what might happen if the HMS Bellona and HMS Terpsichore cornered the Pearl in a cove. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

That looks great. Sure to raise eyebrows at any SGN game.

That looks great. Sure to raise eyebrows at any SGN game.
    And attract British warships!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Delicious eye candy Jim.

Jim was the darker "sea" by design to match the ship or printer colour match issues because it looks very fine?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Jim was the darker "sea" by design to match the ship or printer colour match issues because it looks very fine?
    Probably a combination of my printer color settings and how Andy set up the card? He may well have made it darker though to set the mood of piratical ships?

I think the darker color looks great.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim - I'm glad you like it and the "sea" part is actually pulled from Google Earth around the area of the Caribbean.

It looks as if Capt. Jack (Jim) Sparrow has himself in a predicament.

Andy

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim - I'm glad you like it and the "sea" part is actually pulled from Google Earth around the area of the Caribbean.

It looks as if Capt. Jack (Jim) Sparrow has himself in a predicament.

Andy
    Thanks Andy, for letting us know where you got the darker "sea" color. Knowing it's from the Caribbean is actually very cool.

As for Captain Jack, he always knows or plans for a backdoor exit.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Default Which Ship Did You Use?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Andy, for letting us know where you got the darker "sea" color. Knowing it's from the Caribbean is actually very cool.

As for Captain Jack, he always knows or plans for a backdoor exit.
    That ship looks fantastic. Great work. If you don't mind which ship did you use to convert into the Black Pearl? I could get my son to play if I had Pirates ships. Thanks in advance.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RickyBobbyFan View Post
    That ship looks fantastic. Great work. If you don't mind which ship did you use to convert into the Black Pearl? I could get my son to play if I had Pirates ships. Thanks in advance.
    Thanks Jaime. I used the HMS Terpsichore from the starter set, primarily because the hull is predominantly all black to begin with. Cheers!

Welcome to you and your son to the Anchorage, Jamie.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Welcome to you and your son to the Anchorage, Jamie.
    Thank you, this a great site with great people.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The card looks great. I agree about the water color; it looks a bit ominous.

Jaime, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you: http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim - Here is a sneak peek at the ship stat insert for the Black Pearl. I'm still tweaking it and should be finished in a couple days. I found a cool font and will be adjusting the ship base card one more time too.
    Name:  Ship StatsBP.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  106.4 KB

More impressive work Andy. The buccaneer figure is brilliant.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim - Here is a sneak peek at the ship stat insert for the Black Pearl. I'm still tweaking it and should be finished in a couple days. I found a cool font and will be adjusting the ship base card one more time too.
Views: 1237
Size:  106.4 KB
    Very cool, Andy!!! So, are you up for the Flying Dutchman, Queen Anne's Revenge and/or the Troubadour? I think I'm going to have to paint up an entire pirate fleet; who knows when Ares will get to this with all the British and French ships lined up and soon to be here. lol.

Of course the flip side of this is the HMS Dauntless, HMS Endeavor, HMS Providence and HMS Interceptor.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Very cool, Andy!!! So, are you up for the Flying Dutchman, Queen Anne's Revenge and/or the Troubadour? I think I'm going to have to paint up an entire pirate fleet; who knows when Ares will get to this with all the British and French ships lined up and soon to be here. lol.

Of course the flip side of this is the HMS Dauntless, HMS Endeavor, HMS Providence and HMS Interceptor.
    Jim - This is an easy enjoyable hobby for me and the first design is always the hardest, so bring them on. I figured you can print this out and paste it to the one that came with the ship that you painted.

I am going to redo the ship base card with the better fonts like what I used on this ship stat. I will send them in some time tomorrow - let me know if you have in thing specific you want done to them.

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    More impressive work Andy. The buccaneer figure is brilliant.
    Thank you, sir! This is actually a hobby I like doing and I have made several airplane cards over on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome under aper373.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim - This is an easy enjoyable hobby for me and the first design is always the hardest, so bring them on. I figured you can print this out and paste it to the one that came with the ship that you painted.

I am going to redo the ship base card with the better fonts like what I used on this ship stat. I will send them in some time tomorrow - let me know if you have in thing specific you want done to them.

Andy
    Andy, this is your project so there's nothing specific I need. I enjoy taking the game in a slightly different direction with the ship repaints and it's great you're helping facilitate that with the base cards and ship logs. It may be that some of the Wave 2 ships would work well as pirate ships also, but I think working with the smaller 32 guns vessels will allow for some fun now. A 1 vs. 1 with two "Black Pearl's" could be a blast. Cheers!

Seems like pirate ships are a bit hard to stat, since weren't they crammed with a bunch of extra crew so as to overwhelm the enemies they boarded? Maybe they should get an extra E draw during boarding combat. I guess there could be a captain and crew card for that--the "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card or something like that

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Seems like pirate ships are a bit hard to stat, since weren't they crammed with a bunch of extra crew so as to overwhelm the enemies they boarded? Maybe they should get an extra E draw during boarding combat. I guess there could be a captain and crew card for that--the "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card or something like that
    I really don't have the historical or technical knowledge to know how to stat the ships, logs, etc. I'll defer to the experts, but I have to say a "chock full o' bloodthirsty villains" card certainly sounds good. Seeing as Ares has indicated they do plan on a 'historical' SoG Pirate Wave I wonder how they'll approach the stats? It could be in the works, but as has been stated before it's probably below British/French, War of 1812, AWI or other nations like Spain?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great graphics work, Andy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Congratulations to you, Jim, on getting your model onto the Ares Facebook page. It is good to know that Ares are considering pirate ships because I am sure that they would be popular. Barbary pirate ships would be a good opponents for the U.S.S. Constitution when it comes out. I cannot see Ares producing an official model of the 'Black Pearl' because I fear that a deal with the Disney organisation would be expensive.

I also noticed on the Ares FAcebook page that they are already reprinting the starter set because demand has exceeded what was predicted.

Congratulations to you too, Andy, on producing the ship card. I am pleased to see that you have kept the Black Pearl's statistics realistic, unlike those printed on its 'Top Trumps' card.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Truly awesome repaint

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Congratulations to you, Jim, on getting your model onto the Ares Facebook page. It is good to know that Ares are considering pirate ships because I am sure that they would be popular. Barbary pirate ships would be a good opponents for the U.S.S. Constitution when it comes out. I cannot see Ares producing an official model of the 'Black Pearl' because I fear that a deal with the Disney organisation would be expensive.

David, I completely agree. I don't expect Ares could afford the cost of a Disney license, and frankly, I would hope they wouldn't try. Ares states from the FB response that they'll go with the 'historical' pirates, which still gives them a lot of room for expansion. Add in the Barbary ships and some US ships and I think you'd have another slant with a similar theme?

P.S. Just got back from checking the Ares Sails of Glory Facebook page. As you said they're now saying they've 'sold out' of the starter set at the warehouse and a reprint will be done this Spring. Knowing what we do about production schedules in China I don't think we'll see the new sets until Summer?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 02-01-2014 at 09:47.

I just hope they get some more ship's mats sets out. I can't run more than (8) ships until they do as they didn't send me extra mats to go with the extra ships I ordered.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Andy, this is your project so there's nothing specific I need. I enjoy taking the game in a slightly different direction with the ship repaints and it's great you're helping facilitate that with the base cards and ship logs. It may be that some of the Wave 2 ships would work well as pirate ships also, but I think working with the smaller 32 guns vessels will allow for some fun now. A 1 vs. 1 with two "Black Pearl's" could be a blast. Cheers!
    Jim - Here are the finished base card and ship stats for the Black Pearl. I hope you enjoy them and let me know if you need and others done.

Views: 1110
Size:  105.8 KBName:  Black Pearl Card.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  115.3 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim - Here are the finished base card and ship stats for the Black Pearl. I hope you enjoy them and let me know if you need and others done.
    Andy, they look fantastic! I'll see what I can do with some print outs in the next couple of days.

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

This is very beautiful - thanks

Small typo, I think, The burden on the log is 2 on the card 7.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Looks great, wonderful

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This is great stuff!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Views: 1110
Size:  105.8 KBName:  Black Pearl Card.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  115.3 KB
    This so awesome. I am going to paint up a Black Pearl and a Queen Anne's Revenge. Do you recommend I use a frigate for the Queen Anne's ship as well? Also would consider using your expert skill in creating the base card and ship stats for a Queen Anne?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Andy, the card and log printed out really well last night but I've not yet mounted it to cardboard for a finished look. Thanks again!

Jaime, I would use either of the frigates, which historically might actually be too many guns, but they look good painted up. I used the HMS Terpsichore from the starter set because it's almost all black to start with. Be sure to post your photos! We'd all like to see what folks come up with!!
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 02-03-2014 at 21:17.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Great, thank you Jim for the quick response. A little challenged posting pics but will try once complete. Is there instructions on the site for adding an avatar to my profile? I probably missed it.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

On avatars: http://sailsofglory.org/faq.php?s=&d...xt=1&match=all

Let us know if you need any help, Jaime.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    This is very beautiful - thanks

Small typo, I think, The burden on the log is 2 on the card 7.
    Well now, that just won't do. Thanks for the good eye in catching that Avi.

Jim - I have corrected the burden on the ship card and here it is.

Name:  Black Pearl Card.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  115.4 KB

Bearing in mind that it is a movie ship and would have capabilities beyond what a real ship its size would actually have, I'm thinking one of the bearing 4 ships coming out would be a good representation for the Black Pearl. Although the Terpsichore has burden 2, I would suggest giving the Black Pearl burden 3 so it could take a little bit more of a beating and keep going.

A burden 3 without any extra firepower sounds right.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Following up on the work Andy put into making the Black Pearl base ship card and log I've tried some experimentation with the punch board that comes out of the basic ship card. Removing the counters I basically pasted on a simple print out of the BP log onto the board. This works OK, but needs refinement. The boards need slight trimming to fit more easily into the card and I will most likely use a heavier stock paper and add laminating to protect the log surface. You could easily do both sides with ship variations, but for now the flip side of the BP is just white typing paper. I also did a couple close up shots of the Pearl ship card. You can see from the photos that I have to trim them a bit more to get them to lay flat, but the results are great! Cheers!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Jim, thanks again for the opportunity to help you with this project. If you come up with another ship - pirate or not - I'll be happy to make you the ship card and log. Happy sails!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Hi Andy, you have done incredible work on the Black Pearl base and card. I am going to paint up Queen Anne's Revenge, would consider using the exact same items you made for Jim and change the name to Queen Anne's Revenge?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, thanks again for the opportunity to help you with this project. If you come up with another ship - pirate or not - I'll be happy to make you the ship card and log. Happy sails!
    Thank you, Andy. They turned out great!

Well, since you've offered I thought my next ship/pirate repaint would be Bartholomew Roberts, aka Black Bart, aka Dread Pirate Roberts, and his ship, the Royal Fortune. Probably one of the most successful 'historical' pirates I've come across in my limited reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

He changed his flag, which is an interesting story all its own, but I plan on using the first one, which is the one with two figures (see attached photos).

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Hi Andy, you have done incredible work on the Black Pearl base and card. I am going to paint up Queen Anne's Revenge, would consider using the exact same items you made for Jim and change the name to Queen Anne's Revenge?
    Jamie - I have no problems doing this for you. Is everything the exact same? Do you know what flag was flown?

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Thank you, Andy. They turned out great!

Well, since you've offered I thought my next ship/pirate repaint would be Bartholomew Roberts, aka Black Bart, aka Dread Pirate Roberts, and his ship, the Royal Fortune. Probably one of the most successful 'historical' pirates I've come across in my limited reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

He changed his flag, which is an interesting story all its own, but I plan on using the first one, which is the one with two figures (see attached photos).
    Jim,

Interesting indeed as my last name is Roberts...... Which ship are you planning on using?

Andy

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jaime

Andy that is extremely nice of you. Yes here is the flag I found for this ship. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  1.6 KB
    Could you please make Queen Anne's Revenge with 8 and burden 3? I will post a photo of my painted ship if I can figure out how.