Thread: A Fixer-upper!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default A Fixer-upper!

Something else to do while waiting . . . ?

"Just sit right back . . ."

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sure does look like the S.S. Minnow. I rather doubt it's going on a 3 hour tour anytime soon though?!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*facepalm* Some things should just be allowed to stay Dead and Buried...

It was kind of fun to watch as a kid. Even as a kid, though, I couldn't stop and think that if they'd just killed Gilligan after a few episodes they would have got off that island shortly afterwards. Kind of like Lost in Space, too. If they'd just left Dr Smith somewhere they would have avoided most of their troubles.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    *facepalm* Some things should just be allowed to stay Dead and Buried...
    Do. Not. Get. Me. Started.

(Hint: If the boat in the pic had been named "Orca", I'd be blocking this whole damned thread.)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Some things should just be allowed to stay Dead and Buried...
    Agreed.

I must admit that when Magnum P.I. was running, I thoroughly enjoyed it. A couple of years ago I saw a rerun, and thought that some things should be left to memory.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*hums* "da... dum.... da-dum.... da da da da"

And then there are things that were OK for their time and still are for strolls down memory lane, but Should Not Be Redone. Take The Equalizer for example... Denzel Washington is a good actor, and if they were to create a new character in the old continuity he would make a good "Equalizer, the Next Generation", but he CAN NOT and WILL NEVER truly be "Robert McCall, THE Equalizer" the way the late Edward Woodward was.

Wonder Woman just started showing on a local channel a few weeks ago. I never realized Lynda Carter had so much ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Wonder Woman just started showing on a local channel a few weeks ago. I never realized Lynda Carter had so much ass.
    You just have to love this site, I'm sure if I really tried I could find a seven degrees of separation between Lynda Carter and SOG but I'm happy to just soak it all up

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah... we don't Thread Drift, we just Tack With the Prevailing Winds. :D lol

Yeah... we don't Thread Drift, we just Tack With the Prevailing Winds. :D lol
    ...right up on the rocks.

Name:  sbrocks.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  7.3 KB

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

You nearly got me in trouble and at work for lol. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Ooo.. I hate pictures like that. At some point that was somebodys dream boat!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Word of advice: If I'm in the same room, *DON'T* do that.

And then there are things that were OK for their time and still are for strolls down memory lane, but Should Not Be Redone. Take The Equalizer for example... Denzel Washington is a good actor, and if they were to create a new character in the old continuity he would make a good "Equalizer, the Next Generation", but he CAN NOT and WILL NEVER truly be "Robert McCall, THE Equalizer" the way the late Edward Woodward was.
    Do it the same way the Samuel L. Jackson version of _Shaft_ was done, then -- in Jackson's case, he was a namesake nephew of the original (in fact, Richard Roundtree appears as The Original in the remake). In the case of Woodward/Washington, have a sort of "master/padawan" relationship (or perhaps an adopted son?).

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Word of advice: If I'm in the same room, *DON'T* do that.
    Chris had a traumatic experience in a pool once:

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Do it the same way the Samuel L. Jackson version of _Shaft_ was done, then -- in Jackson's case, he was a namesake nephew of the original (in fact, Richard Roundtree appears as The Original in the remake). In the case of Woodward/Washington, have a sort of "master/padawan" relationship (or perhaps an adopted son?).
    Right, something that acknowledges the legacy they're trying to wring a buck out of, like when McHale's Navy went big-screen they had original McHale Ernest Borgnine play the new McHale's dad and also had him specifically ask about "how's MY old boat?", thus clarifying that it was "McHale's Navy, The Next Generation." Problem is, Woodward got old fast and is deceased... but they could still have done something to show backstory by showing photos and having characters reminisce about "that tough old fart".

And then there's The A-Team--DO NOT wind me up about that one... Liam Neeson is a great actor, but here again he can't do the character the way George Peppard--and I Pity Da Foo who thinks Quinton Jackson is ANY kind of replacement for Mr. T.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRoyal20 View Post
    Ooo.. I hate pictures like that. At some point that was somebodys dream boat!
    You should have seen Galveston after we had tidal surges over 20 feet during Hurricane Ike. There were boats on land everywhere and I'm not talking just little powerboats. Full sized working fishing boats and yachts. The highway was littered with boats on the way in and parking lots all over the place had them.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Chris had a traumatic experience in a pool once:

No, but I actually did pull that prank once. I was amazed how well it worked.

Problem is, Woodward got old fast and is deceased... but they could still have done something to show backstory by showing photos and having characters reminisce about "that tough old fart".
    Like what _Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull_ did with Sean Connery and Denholm Elliott (the only remotely-good part of *that* cinematic suppository, I might add).

And then there's The A-Team--DO NOT wind me up about that one... Liam Neeson is a great actor, but here again he can't do the character the way George Peppard--and I Pity Da Foo who thinks Quinton Jackson is ANY kind of replacement for Mr. T.
    "*What* _A-Team_ movie?" >;)

You should have seen Galveston after we had tidal surges over 20 feet during Hurricane Ike. There were boats on land everywhere and I'm not talking just little powerboats. Full sized working fishing boats and yachts. The highway was littered with boats on the way in and parking lots all over the place had them.
    Was watching a post-2005 episode of _Man Vs. Wild_ filmed in Louisiana -- they found a 75'-at-least fishing boat in a swamp at least 20 miles inland....