Thread: Movement when base-to-base with a stationary object

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nate

Default Movement when base-to-base with a stationary object

Hey all;

This is my first attempt at a house rule (for Sails of Glory or otherwise), but I'm bothered by the issue that arose during a play of the "Sitting Ducks" scenario. My SOL had a head-on collision with an anchored ship. From then on, since there was no valid place my ship could place a maneuver card (since the anchored ship occupied the space directly in front of my SOL), it seemed like my ship wouldn't be able to move for the rest of the scenario (even after the anchored ship surrendered, since I was using the full ruleset including the "surrendered ships" optional rule).

Here is my attempt to resolve that issue:

If, at the beginning of the movement phase, the front of a ship's base is in contact with a stationary object (reef, anchored ship, rocky coast), place the planned movement card behind the ship (keeping the same directional orientation). Then move the ship along the maneuver card, per the regular movement rules, including any collisions.

This would at least allow a ship to maneuver out of contact with an anchored ship (assuming there was no entanglement or grappling), and I think it's fairly simple to execute.

Opinions?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think it would be better if you just used one of the red cards. Allowing a full card maneuver backwards could be a little strong in many games.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Don't forget, if you have contacted ashore line and run aground you are stuck fast, so not going anywhere anyway. What we've been playing in situations such as this is to move the ship sideways the minimum distance needed to allow it to move clear in the next phase, but what you have works well if you think of it as backing sails.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Don't forget, if you have contacted ashore line and run aground you are stuck fast, so not going anywhere anyway.
    Absolutely; this is only for collisions with anchored ships, or reef/rocky shore collisions that haven't resulted in the ship running aground.

I think it would be better if you just used one of the red cards. Allowing a full card maneuver backwards could be a little strong in many games.
    Wouldn't the red cards be even stronger? I'm not sure what restrictions you'd place on it, but couldn't you use the 180-degree turn red maneuver card?

With my suggestion, if the ship is facing north, you place the maneuver card behind it facing north. It'll end up moving in to the same space it previously occupied, but with a slightly different orientation, allowing to eventually maneuver around the stationary object.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I don't have the cards in front of me, but you might have to limit it to with the single or double hourglass red cards to remove the 180 degree turn card. Or just allow the straight back red card (MR 5 I think). That would require them to back up far enough to swing the ship around under sail.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I don't have the cards in front of me, but you might have to limit it to with the single or double hourglass red cards to remove the 180 degree turn card. Or just allow the straight back red card (MR 5 I think). That would require them to back up far enough to swing the ship around under sail.
    Incidentally, Keith, I took a look at the red cards and I was totally wrong--there is no 180 card (I had forgotten double-hourglass cards were placed BEHIND the ship).

I now think your solution (playing a double-hourglass red card behind the ship) is probably the simplest one, so that's what I'm probably going to be doing.

Cheers,
    Nate

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Glad we were able to sort a solution out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.