View Poll Results: Flipping cards, or two miniatures?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll have a ship mini for both sides.

35 44.30%
  • I'll make due with one ship and flip the card as needed.

38 48.10%
  • I only need one ship and one side of the card to play my games.

6 7.59%

Thread: Flipping cards, or buying two ships?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Seems like the etched waves would make reading the card difficult, that is if it is clear plastic and goes on top of the card?
    If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    If only the wake is etched, it won't seriously block anything, but it will certainly increase the coolness factor.
    Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Would be worth a try using one. I wonder if any Anchorage members has one of the Litko bases so we could see how it looks?
    I just received some custom Litko bases to use with my Langton 1/1200 ships. They're black opaque plastic 1/8" thick; 3 sizes for the various ships I'll be mounting on the water bases, which then go on top of the Litko base. If you want I can take some photos tomorrow to show you how they look?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I would think you would only have to permanently attach it to the clear plastic part if you wanted something 100% secure. This way you could still flip the card.
    Keith: It looks like Litko stopped making his ship bases with etched wakes. This is a product you could offer sized specifically for SoG.
    The issue with only attaching it to the clear cover is that the cover is then not securely attached to the rest of the base. That and the peg goes through both of them.

I can look into adding some etching to a clear cover. My own idea I've been kicking around ever since I got the first prototype ship was sculpted base either cast in resin or 3D printed. The firing arcs and wind gauges would be recessed into the sculpt. They would have to be painted by the customer and producing them would be a big project, so it's still in the idea phase.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    As long as it doesn't look like a wake that a speedboat would throw up :) I've seen some AoS models with wakes added that would look good streaming from a destroyer at 30 knots!
    Show me some good wakes. Top down would be best. I'm seriously contemplating getting some custom jobs from Litko. I've already emailed them. They stopped making the catalog items with wakes because he said everyone wanted them a different size. He said they are contemplating adding a basemaker option specifically for ship bases with a wake. For now he said he could make me some custom jobs if I tell him what I want.