Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damage to game components inside the box!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Unhappy Damage to game components inside the box!

Anyone else have any damage to the contents of the box? One of my base card is lightly creased, the instruction book has the upper corner of the last six pages bent backwards and ripped and my French SOL has a bent upper mast. Do you suppose this could have happened during shipping or careless packing by the manufacturer? I guess I can live with the creased base card since there is a plastic cover under each ship but I'm kind of afraid to bend the tip of mast back because it may break off. I'm not happy about the instruction book damage at all. Am I being too picky? What would you guys do if this was your game?

Your not being picky at all. I'd contact Ares about the damaged items.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Sounds like careless packing. Definitely not picky. Take photos and send them to Ares with a request for replacements.

:angry:

Any pictures to show?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Seeing as Ares made such a point of safe packing and transportation it's an issue they need to know about. Like David said, I'd take pictures and ask for replacements.

Don't try this with your damaged ship, but if you have problems with bent plastic in future, a fix you can try involves using a hair dryer to warm the plastic just enough to bend it back to a correct position. Then as it cools it should stay in the right spot. You do have to be careful not to use too much heat or try to bend the plastic before it's pliable enough. It also depends on the plastic and area of the model you can work with.

Again, don't try this with the damaged ship, that should be a straight up replacement from Ares.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

I'm Trying to post the pictures but not having much luck I can get the jpg but no pic. SeeName:  IMG_3080.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  119.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

I guess it worked but its kinda huge, sorry.

Those mastheads look like they are about to snap off. Looks look careless packing at the factory to me. I'd definitely send Ares pics of the ship.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Good photos and it's better they're large so you can see the issues.

That mast doesn't look bent, it looks like it's been cracked and ready to come off?
    The book pages are awful, especially the small tears.
    The ship card is bad as well, and would take some extra work to fix if it isn't a deep crease. (I might try to use moderate heat under a cloth towel to soften the bend, but that shouldn't be something anyone has to worry about).

I wonder how many more of these will show up in the boxes yet to arrive for us KS backers and the general retail release? The fact that this all happened in one shipment/order is not good.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Not to diminish the issue, but there are always certain degrees of defective product allowed for in production. I will say it is obviously odd to have multiple issues in one box, so I suspect bad packaging at the manufacturer (Ares' warehouse didn't package the starter sets, just put the stuff in the boxes for shipment). Ares should be willing to replace damaged components.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Just my luck, I even waited until Christmas night to open the starter set. I opened the box Christmas morning like the rest of my kids. I must have gotten the box packed by the worker on his 20th hour with no break! I guess I need to email Ares Games or do I call them.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Just my luck, I even waited until Christmas night to open the starter set. I opened the box Christmas morning like the rest of my kids. I must have gotten the box packed by the worker on his 20th hour with no break! I guess I need to email Ares Games or do I call them.
    As a KS backer I guess I would email them directly off the SoG KS page. You can send private email there. If they're good they'll be checking that regularly even now that the project is concluded. If that doesn't work I'd then try the main Ares webpage. Good luck and do let us know what happens.

Good pictures.

The top piece of the mast looks broken to me, too. (Like Nightmoss wrote)

Cut it off and glue it together again.

I think this probelm is easy to be solved because the section with the sails is not bent/broken.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Didn't think about the KS page, I just emailed ares directly. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Their main office is closed through the New Year, however, so an email through Kickstarter might get a response sooner.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

FWIW - you're not being picky at all IMO. While everything but the book is fairly repairable or at least easily covered up, I'd definitely ask for replacements. The book is ridiculously damaged, but I'm very picky about books. (Avid reader who loaned a limited edition Sword of Shanara out back in the early 80's. Got it back torn in half and the limited artwork was missing a few pages - never loaned a book out since).

As others have suggested, I'd contact them using the KS page. In fact, the email with the tracking numbers or the last update (can't remember which) mentioned they'd be out of the office during the holidays but would monitor the KS messages.

Speaking of the tracking numbers email...

Weren't we supposed to get another one today?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Speaking of the tracking numbers email...

Weren't we supposed to get another one today?
    Nope, that should be tomorrow, the 27th.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I just checked my tracking number, and it says it's out for delivery today; probably means it'll turn up at 7PM again.... :)

Hmmmm.....I have not even taken mine out of the shipping box yet as I have been busy with other projects. i will have to take a look.

How were the rest of the components? If it was mine and the other items were OK I would just instant glue the mast top and chalk up one more reason to dislike Chinese manufacturers (but it's hard to beat their pricing). Just letting Ares know of the problem so they have it corrected in the future would be enough for me. I'm sure other cases will be reported but hopefully it will be a tiny percentage of the total. And if I'm not mistaken, the card goes between two pieces of plastic and shouldn't be of major concern.
    I feel Ares has their hands full already and I wouldn't want to add to their burden.
    But if it happened too often, that would be another story.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Respectfully disagree Ed, if I pay for a new product I kind of expect it to be 100% perfect.
    By UK law if it's damaged you can get a new set or a refund (a refund?? that'd be madness).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    Respectfully disagree Ed, if I pay for a new product I kind of expect it to be 100% perfect.
    By UK law if it's damaged you can get a new set or a refund (a refund?? that'd be madness).
    And you would be completely correct.

I just voiced what I would do.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Ares is taking care of me. As for the other kickstarter backers, you will be taken care of first. I can wait. Still haven't received my tracking number for my play mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    Hmmmm.....I have not even taken mine out of the shipping box yet as I have been busy with other projects. i will have to take a look.
    OK, so someone who has NOT received their stuff yet needs to go to Wisconsin and lightly slap you with a wet sea trout to encourage you to open yer danged box.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.p...1&d=1388081671

Looks like a lucky shot to me. Better assign a Repair-Damage chit on your next turn.
    Last edited by Gunner; 12-30-2013 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    OK, so someone who has NOT received their stuff yet needs to go to Wisconsin and lightly slap you with a wet sea trout to encourage you to open yer danged box.
    Lol....I have been heavily engaged in another new game, Bolt Action. We played tpnight and I did use one of the SoG damage bags for the Bolt Action order dice....worked great! :)

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot@Me View Post
    Their main office is closed through the New Year, however, so an email through Kickstarter might get a response sooner.
    The office is closed, but I can tell you for sure that three of the five people in the company are working long hours from home to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. In fact, Christoph is even working while on vacation with family in Brazil!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Components are ok in my package, both SOL have the tip of the foremast bent slightly as per your pic, main masts ok though.
    Anyone got tips how to straighten the mast tip?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

With the pre-production ships I was able to gently bend mast back that were only slightly bent. For a more sever bend, I'd dip just the bent portion into some hot water, bend back in place and then rinse in cold water to set it again.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    With the pre-production ships I was able to gently bend mast back that were only slightly bent. For a more sever bend, I'd dip just the bent portion into some hot water, bend back in place and then rinse in cold water to set it again.
    Thanks , I suspected the hot water trick but thanks for confirming it works

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Is anyone else having severe issues with the flags? I found that several of my ships, when I opened the box up, had white flags rather than their proper form! Plus my HMS Juno was broken at the mast, but hopefully some glue can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    Is anyone else having severe issues with the flags? I found that several of my ships, when I opened the box up, had white flags rather than their proper form! Plus my HMS Juno was broken at the mast, but hopefully some glue can fix that.
    If they are French ships, the white flag was the naval flag of France before the French Revolution. The French Tricolor flag came afterwards.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Doh! That makes more sense. So some of them are tricolour, others white?

Doh! That makes more sense. So some of them are tricolour, others white?
    The ships overlap the period during which the French Revolution occurred. I'd have to look at each ships history, but the ones with white flags may not have been in use after the revolution.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Is the broken mast down by the deck or at the tip.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Sadly, it was the mainmast. I'd be less upset if it wasn't one of the exclusives, and I could just go out and buy a replacement.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Sadly, it was the mainmast. I'd be less upset if it wasn't one of the exclusives, and I could just go out and buy a replacement.
    Well, in my opinion that ship should be replaced if it's one of the exclusives. I think you should contact Ares via their KS email system.

Nice Avatar by the war. I just finished Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It was a lot of fun.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    If they are French ships, the white flag was the naval flag of France before the French Revolution. The French Tricolor flag came afterwards.
    That's odd, I thought the French used white flags often during the last 200 years.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Nice Avatar by the war. I just finished Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. It was a lot of fun.
    I'm powering through it now, trying to collect 100% of everything. Lots o fun.

I think I will contact them. The super-glue I'm using isn't really doing the job...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

They responded much quicker thru the KS Ares site. Too bad it happened to the KS exclusive. I better go check the ship packs again.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm powering through it now, trying to collect 100% of everything. Lots o fun.

I think I will contact them. The super-glue I'm using isn't really doing the job...
    Got everything in Black Flag, but only completed the game at 92% so must have missed something outside the Caribbean?

Anyhow, I do think you should email them about a broken mast on one of your exclusives.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That's odd, I thought the French used white flags often during the last 200 years. :takecover:
    There is a certain sick irony in that the French Navy's best performances came when it flew under the Bourbon banner:

I will not respond to this French bashing...

At least the French had the good sense to back off messing with American ships after a couple of quick lessons (the Quasi War). It took the British three years of getting their tails kicked (War of 1812).

Is anyone else having severe issues with the flags? I found that several of my ships, when I opened the box up, had white flags rather than their proper form!
    In case there are any lingering doubts, the white flags definitely seem intentional, since you can see the corresponding flags represented in the pictures on the ship cards as well

White flags may be to allow buyers to flag the ship to their tastes. Printing up a flag on sticky label paper (removable type probably best allows for multiple changes) to have a ship in the colours of the nation you desire and given so many ships were Fr/Br or Sp/Br flagged this may have an upside. What would have been nice and has been discussed before is removable flags bu this was not designed in. Some of the members intend to run a line from the mizzen mast to the stern and put a flag on that which would be historically more accurate I believe.

I thought the flag of the Bourbons had golden fleur-de-lis on it.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Broken parts, request a replacement. Bent parts, try to fix it with hot water first and then request a replacement if that does not work. Following that advice will get you a proper ship on the table in the least amount of time.

For the white flags, if you would rather have the tri color, it's very easy to take a red and blue permanent maker and add the colors. I did this with a few of the pre-production ships for cons. Works great.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    I will not respond to this French bashing...
    HOW DO YOU THINK *I* FEEL? I'VE HAD TO PUT UP THOSE JOKES FOR FORTY-ONE YEARS!

(Care to guess what my last name is? :) )

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I thought the flag of the Bourbons had golden fleur-de-lis on it.
    The flag of the House of Bourbon did; the "general use" flag of the Royal French Navy was unadorned white.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I just noticed that my second Captain's box has a couple of production issues. The Genereux is missing it's bowsprit yard/sail and the game manual is rather shredded along the bottom edge (similar to others I've seen posted here). The missing part is probably a quality assurance issue I expect and the game manual tears might be due to the box being shipped vertically rather than horizontally in a case?

I'm not inclined to bother Ares about either of these problems, but if anyone is buying retail at a store I'd suggest a quick close look at the ships before you make a purchase.