Thread: USS Shangri-LA CVA 38

Default USS Shangri-LA CVA 38

Picked this up for my Father in Law who served on her in the mid-late 60s. *I was going to just give him the model, but my wife said he would never complete it based on some models we gave him previously. *As a result I decided to assemble it and will add a engraved plate to it before I give it to him. *The plan is to wrap the box and then present him with the assembled version after he opens it.

It also includes an air wing, helicopter and missiles. *I am waiting to paint those until after we give it to him so he can provide input on paint scheme for the time he was on board.

Hope he likes it. *It has been a long time since I assembled a plastic kit. I had one minor set back painting the deck when I dropped it. *Not a good thing when you own a cat and dog that shed. A minor set back, but still came out pretty good just not as well as I hoped the first time. ;)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The model looks great and I'm sure your Father in Law will be very pleased. It turned out very well for not having done a plastic kit in a while.

I've got a Revell Fletcher class destroyer in 1/144 that was originally meant for the model railroad, but if I build it now I don't know where I'd fit it in? Plus I've gotten side tracked back in time.

Nice job, particularly on your deck markings. The box top makes it look like it has a mid to late 50's air wing but I can't make out the aircraft from the box art. F9F Cougars, A3D Skywarriors, and a Vertol HUP helicopter?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Did Essexes ever carry Regulus? I'm starting to have flashbacks to the old Revell Nautilus that had a Loon (USN-ized V-1) on deck... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Did Essexes ever carry Regulus? I'm starting to have flashbacks to the old Revell Nautilus that had a Loon (USN-ized V-1) on deck... lol
    Yes they did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSM-N-8_Regulus

From USS Hancock CVA 19:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  7.6 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 12-22-2013 at 23:27.

Thanks All!

It was a hit. Glad I held off on the Air Wing as they were not the correct planes for when he served. I will now be looking for 1/500 A4 and F8s.

Here is the finished product with the engraved plate.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent, and the engraved plate is an especially nice touch.

Looks very nice. Finding 1/500 Crusaders, Skyhawks, and Skyraiders might be difficult.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

You have done a beautiful job of assembling and painting that model, Aaron. Well done!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dan

Nice job Aaron!

And they have Skyraiders and Crusaders too.

Name:  yhst-55434581667841_2272_40811936.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  yhst-55434581667841_2272_40067069.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  116.0 KB

Thanks guys we found those, just waiting for a response as some were out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    Thanks guys we found those, just waiting for a response as some were out of stock.
    Can't wait to see them painted up and on the flight deck.