Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
So do we have any idea yet what these kinds of differences will mean in game terms?

In other words: if my math is right, then for each of the models constructed in the first wave, there are 8 variants provided (counting the double-sided printing). Surely, as we've discussed, all 8 ships of a given class didn't have identical sailing characteristics. So is this something that shows up in the models and stat cards? Or does it fall within the "margin of error" given the game mechanisms, granularity of the game stats, production limitations, etc.?
As I understand it SoG's overall game design is somewhere between a 'naval simulation' and a 'beer and pretzels' game. It's intended to be intuitive, with easy access for average gamers not necessarily into 'counting rivets' (like Wings of Glory). That's not to say there isn't room for expanding on the rules and game detail because many are already discussing it. There are a number of threads that touch on your question and several folks here will no doubt be able to answer your inquiries better than I. As I'm more of a modeler than a gamer I'm likely to play basic games that allow me to 'blow stuff up' rather than try to recreate historical reenactments using the SoG ships.

Here's one thread I found that touches on the SoG design:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...ght=simulation

Cheers!