Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sails Ho! SoG has hit land...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

Hey Keith guess what I got today without an e-mail. My Captan's KS but no mats.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the reply Keith. I've reached the point where I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. I do find it highly ironic that those KS backers who individually probably paid in the highest amounts for the project are most likely to be the very last to actually receive product. As they say, "It is what it is".
    I'm in for over $750 as well, and I'm still waiting. So the theory hold for me as well. Also the theory that I'm like the others - I'm happy that others have received theirs already, and I'll be especially happy when I receive my order too.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by tmon View Post
    Hey Keith guess what I got today without an e-mail. My Captan's KS but no mats.
    Lucky man!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Martin

I am pleased that some are getting tier just rewards. One day over a rainbow ours will come too!

I see in the KS comments Niranth got UPS delivery notification, I also got an e-mail from UPS but for a next day delivery (Friday (1-3-2014). Niranth is the first Commodore I know that got his stuff.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    I see in the KS comments Niranth got UPS delivery notification, I also got an e-mail from UPS but for a next day delivery (Friday (1-3-2014). Niranth is the first Commodore I know that got his stuff.
    Yes, I just saw that as well. This is definitely the first Commodore notification I've seen or heard about. Personally, if I were in Indiana like Niranth I probably would have driven to the warehouse weeks ago. lol. Still no UPS notification of Ares email update for me.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No notification here, but this latest news is promising. I am really looking forward to inviting some friends over and teaching them the game. Great fun is ahead.

The UPS e-mail shows as 2 x 12lb packages. If the bundle the mats in twos, this could just be my mats. I hope not, I can wait on the mats, I have blue felt.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Two mats are a 5lb package. I know because I just got the email that it's out for delivery from UPS! Two 12 lb packages sounds like two Capt pack because when I received mine, it was listed by UPS as a 12 lb package for one Capt's KS.

Cool! 2 x Captain is Commodore!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Doorbell just rang. Two SoG boxes. No email, so those of you have not received a confirmation yet, might receive something shortly.

Congrats Eric, you are the first confirmed Commodore delivery.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Doorbell just rang. Two SoG boxes. No email, so those of you have not received a confirmation yet, might receive something shortly.
    Congrats!
    Still waiting for my knock on the door... there must be the difficulty making it to the 'hinterlands' of Illinois.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I remember someone posting a picture showing the top of a mast somewhat bent. I think it might be a production run issue. I have a couple of ships in which both copies (Commodore level has two of each ship) have mast tops slightly bent.

The ships and ancillary materials look much better than expected.

I hope the rest of you receive your packages soon. It will be great to start playing together.

I don't know if order size has anything to do with when you get delivery. I just have a Lieutenant package and no notice or delivery so far.
    Last edited by Coog; 01-02-2014 at 11:26.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I remember someone posting a picture showing the top of a mast somewhat bent. I think it might be a production run issue. I have a couple of ships in which both copies (Commodore level has two of each ship) have mast tops slightly bent.

I hope the rest of you receive your packages soon. It will be great to start playing together.
    Congratulations, Eric! Thanks for the good news as first Commodore to receive your ships (although it might be a tie with Niranth?). How about the mats? Have those arrived yet? We should be getting 3 mats at Commodore, correct?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mats are a separate shipment. I think three mats is correct. I thought I ordered an additional one to have a set of four. It has been awhile since I thought about the actual order contents.

Edit: I just checked, and I ordered two extra mats, so that has me thinking that we only get two with the Commodore level - makes more sense with everything being doubled.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 01-02-2014 at 11:41.

I thought it was two mats with Commodore and I bought 2 additional, if it's 3 mats then I'll end up with 5 mats.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I've seen this on the pre-production ships as well. typically it's the fore mast that I'm seeing it on. I bet they are getting bent when they are removed from the mold. The plastic is still warm and the mold may not be making a clean release. This would cause bending (but not breaking) in those thin parts. Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I don't know if order size has anything to do with when you get delivery. I just have a Lieutenant package and no notice or delivery so far.
    Any addons with that order?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I thought it was two mats with Commodore and I bought 2 additional, if it's 3 mats then I'll end up with 5 mats.
    Hi Bob,

I was editing my post when you posted. I think 2 mats is correct.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Commodore gets two sets of the following:

free Attitude Indicator, Combat Ruler, 2x Captain&Crew Ability Deck, 2x Terrain Pack#1, 2x Terrain Pack #2, Game Mat, Additional Counters, two free sets of Smoke Clouds, free set of basic Damage Counter Bags
    So two game mats total

Ditto here. I do have add-ons including additional ships and mats. Although I have not received an e-mail notice, so it is encouraging to see that Eric got his package without a notice. I may have to polish up my explanation for the inevitable "What's in the box, not more figures?" questioning, if it comes while the wife is home from work.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I've seen this on the pre-production ships as well. typically it's the fore mast that I'm seeing it on. I bet they are getting bent when they are removed from the mold. The plastic is still warm and the mold may not be making a clean release. This would cause bending (but not breaking) in those thin parts. Just my guess.
    Has anyone tried repairing the bend?

Any addons with that order?
    I do have an extra mat and some additional wooden items. I don't mind the wait though as I have other things going on.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Has anyone tried repairing the bend?

I do have an extra mat and some additional wooden items. I don't mind the wait though as I have other things going on.
    I've not done it to the masts, but a simple hot water dip and reshaping should work just fine.

Do we know if any Lt levels have been delivered yet?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The only add-ons I have are game mats and the Constitution/Victory ships. The boxes I received were packed for Captain level with no room to spare.

Sue asked about bending the masts back, but I think once they're on the table, the bend might not be noticeable (you should see some of the barrels on my A&A tanks - they can shoot around corners). We have a sail that needs to be glued. Once we take the ships out of the packaging, I will have a better idea what the repair needs are, if any.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

My LT level had an additional mat AND two additional bags (to complete the set of 5). My wild guess is that the two additional bags are what is pushing me to the end of the 'shipment line'.

UPS says my stuff is in a local delivery truck and should turn up today. I've been watching it crawl across the country on the UPS site since the 27th, but no tracking number from Ares. So, keep your hopes up :)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

[QUOTE=The Royal Hajj;23639]I've seen this on the pre-production ships as well. typically it's the fore mast that I'm seeing it on. I bet they are getting bent when they are removed from the mold. The plastic is still warm and the mold may not be making a clean release. This would cause bending (but not breaking) in those thin parts. Just my guess.

Ares is already taking care of damaged components. I posted pictures of the bent mast tip and the forum members here felt the mast was broken as opposed to bent. All my ships, game and ship packs have some bend but they are slight and that I can attribute to production. In fact, all miniatures I have seen and purchased have slight bends on long narrow parts ie. Memoirs 44 tank barrels, X-Wing laser cannon barrels, etc. I could have lived with the creased base card but a bent and torn rules book and broken mast, I just got the careless packer at the manufacturer. I'm not upset, it's just bad luck. It could have been any of you. Actually, if it were only the ship model, I probably wouldn't have said anything but a torn book, now I gotta say something.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I agree with you, the torn book and bent card I would have asked for a replacement on. On your ship, I would have asked for a new one as well because of the main mast. It looks broken and not just bent (like the fore mast).

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Thanks for the comment Keith. I just pre-ordered series 7 but now I see it is delayed. Oh well, now I have time to learn this game, especially since the play mats are due to arrive today. I'm really excited to see the new foam storage trays. Keep us posted.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

So here's the real question we should all be asking? Where are the Spanish!? I want my Santissima Trinidad, Ares!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Mats are a separate shipment. I think three mats is correct. I thought I ordered an additional one to have a set of four. It has been awhile since I thought about the actual order contents.

Edit: I just checked, and I ordered two extra mats, so that has me thinking that we only get two with the Commodore level - makes more sense with everything being doubled.
    Commodore gets two sets of the following:

So two game mats total
    Hi Bob,

I was editing my post when you posted. I think 2 mats is correct.
    Thanks all! So now I'm just waiting on the 2 boxes for my EB Commodore. Looks like I'll be ordering 2 extra mats via the Accessories store. :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    So here's the real question we should all be asking? Where are the Spanish!? I want my Santissima Trinidad, Ares!
    You and me both, Carlos. There are hints that Ares will be doing a special edition of the Santissima Trinidad comparable to the Victory and Constitution. Just rumors actually, but they do know some of us want our Spanish ships; Santa Ana, Montanes, Príncipe de Asturias, Rayo, etc. etc.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks all! So now I'm just waiting on the 2 boxes for my EB Commodore. Looks like I'll be ordering 2 extra mats via the Accessories store. :)
    I think four mats are a good amount, especially for cons. Having run games at two events, I think two mats would limit maneuverability, especially if one has a 10-12 players. In the one game, I had 8 players, but we had a line of merchant ships going across the playing surface as well. Having both length and width to the playing surface really helped make for a more fluid game.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

UPS just dropped off my 2 Captain boxes, so with the 2 mats already in hand my EB Commodore KS order is complete!! Yahoo!!! The boxes are both frigid cold so I'm not going to do anything with them until they reach room temperature.

I'm off to post something on KS now, so others know of the good news, and the fact that there was never a notice from the warehouse (or UPS) concerning shipping.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    Don't you mean "Where are the Russians?" >;)

Besides: You know if you talk about what you want where Ares can hear it, that just delays its arrival that much more. (I think Ares borrowed GW's "Squat Clock". ;) )

The good news is that ships have landed. Yay!!

The not-so-good is that while the Capt level stuff, the extra smokes and the mats came, the extra Lt. level package I ordered did not arrive and no more shipments are in the UPS system.

Any thoughts? At what point should I assume there was a problem and escalate, vs. assuming that the shipping process is still creaking and grinding forward and will spit out my Lt kit at some point?

ps--these are really eye-pleasing ships!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

UPS just dropped off my 2 Captain boxes, so with the 2 mats already in hand my EB Commodore KS order is complete!! Yahoo!!! The boxes are both frigid cold so I'm not going to do anything with them until they reach room temperature.

I'm off to post something on KS now, so others know of the good news, and the fact that there was never a notice from the warehouse (or UPS) concerning shipping.
    I just received an email from Ares with a UPS tracking number. I had to chuckle at the timing because, of course, I had the ships sitting here already.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    At what point should I assume there was a problem and escalate, vs. assuming that the shipping process is still creaking and grinding forward and will spit out my Lt kit at some point?
    I would not be too concerned at present. It is obvious that the distribution channel is not running smoothly. If a week goes by and you have not heard anything, then I would suggest contacting Ares. It seems that the core packages are shipped in a certain way, with additional packages being shipped separately.

I just received an email from Ares with a UPS tracking number. I had to chuckle at the timing because, of course, I had the ships sitting here already.
    Makes me think of "Ready - Shoot - Aim".

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

No e-mail and no boxes here in Oakland, CA.

On the other hand, the fact that many backers are receiving their shipments even without an e-mail notice makes me hopeful I will receive something tomorrow or early next week.

It seems like the Southwest is on the bottom of the shipping list. Mainly Texas, Arizona and SoCal.

Dont know about that Ed, my mailing agent is in Florida and nothing has arrived there, my geography may not be great but that would be the Southeast. I think the pain we're feeling is sprinkled like grape shot around the globe

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dan

I think it's pledge level and extras more than geography (at least in the US). I live in Illinois and still haven't received my Lt. level yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    It seems like the Southwest is on the bottom of the shipping list. Mainly Texas, Arizona and SoCal.
    Actually Ed yours is enroute...

Name:  Sensitive_Freight_Crushed_Box-506x364.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  22.7 KB

If we ever meet, drinks are on me. Best laugh I've had in a while.

If I put it in hot water then cool it off, will the shape come back?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ed, my usual trick for War at Sea "banana boats" was to rubberband them to a popsicle-stick as a "splint", dunk 'em in hot water then toss 'em in the freezer for an hour.

Would skewers make good splints for SGN masts?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    If we ever meet, drinks are on me. Best laugh I've had in a while.

If I put it in hot water then cool it off, will the shape come back?
    I think puttin' 'em alcohol would work better than hot water. One for me...one for the ships...one for me...one for the ships... In the end you wouldn't really care if it worked or not!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That was cruel, but I actually laughed out loud when I read it. I couldn't help myself.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Well, I got my copy (Captain's KS) in Australia this morning. And promptly trod on one...

Name:  IMG_0970.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  67.3 KB

This is why I can't have nice things.

(It's OK, I salvaged it)

Looks like you're as graceful as I am.

The detail on the hull looks really good. I hope wave 2 has improved sails. Can't wait for mine to come in.