Thread: SoG Gear Request

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Lightbulb SoG Gear Request

So, the Fokker T-Shirt is pretty cool swag for WoG.

How about some SoG loving?

Perhaps one with the HMS Victory, one with a famous French Ship (David help me out here, I'm just getting back into AoS gaming after a 30-year hiatus and can't remember what I learned in HS) and one with the USS Constitution.

Or, even better, a famous battle scene!

Let's just say I've been looking around for an AoS print shirt and can't find any with warships (lots of other sailing ships, just nothing with cannon). Were you to add some to the Gear section, I'd probably buy one of each.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-17-2013 at 09:38. Reason: Added more detail as my idea developed

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    So, the Fokker T-Shirt is pretty cool swag for WoG.

How about some SoG loving?

Perhaps one with the HMS Victory, one with a famous French Ship (David help me out here, I'm just getting back into AoS gaming after a 30-year hiatus and can't remember what I learned in HS) and one with the USS Constitution.

Or, even better, a famous battle scene!

Let's just say I've been looking around for an AoS print shirt and can't find any with warships (lots of other sailing ships, just nothing with cannon). Were you to add some to the Gear section, I'd probably buy one of each.
    I wonder what it would cost to do a deal with Donald MacLeod to get the use of his painting Victory at Trafalgar for a shirt?

Name:  victory_at_tafalgar.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  261.7 KB

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Unfortunately, the Dr.I shirts do not sale well (I still have quite a few left taking up my very limited storage space for products) and there was not even enough interest in the Camel shirt to do a print run. I do not see this being any different with AoS shirts. Perhaps after the game has been out a while and there are a lot more members on the site I'll consider doing some.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Unfortunately, the Dr.I shirts do not sale well (I still have quite a few left taking up my very limited storage space for products) and there was not even enough interest in the Camel shirt to do a print run. I do not see this being any different with AoS shirts. Perhaps after the game has been out a while and there are a lot more members on the site I'll consider doing some.
    The Wings side of the world currently has about 9 times the membership as this side.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of a membership uptick there is once the game is available.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Bummer. Perhaps it's lack of choices? I know if you had an SE-5a shirt, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat.

I may still buy one of those DR.I shirts from you, but you no longer have red in my size (obvious color choice for said aircraft), so I'll have decide which other color is going to look the best. Any pics of the alternate colors?

Either way, I totally understand. Thanks for the quick replies gents. And yeah, the Trafalgar painting would be amazing.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I wonder if making available something like designs on a heat transfer medium (paper?) using Plastisol type inks (as opposed to simple ink jet alternatives) might be a way around the high inventory carrying cost of finished shirts while still making a product available that would add to the comradery of this group?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Speaking bluntly: I have no interest in any AA product which is not strictly related to making the game easier to play. The wind indicator -- yes. Smoke clouds -- yes. T-shirts -- I have plenty of those, and know where to get others.

Put it this way: I would rather Aerodrome Accessories made available Revel Micro Wings by the case, than make a hat or shirt. One of those is usable at a con; the other, not.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Then this thread was obviously not intended for you.

However, since you've joined in, let me state I agree with most of what you've said, except...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    One of those is usable at a con; the other, not.
    Unless you meant the shirts usable at the Con. As someone who demos games at conventions all the time, let me be blunt...

Apparel that matches the game you are demoing has great advertising value to drive interest up for your demos. So, having said that, I hope you meant the T-Shirt is usable at the con and not Revel Micro Wings (which, to be honest, I have no idea whatsoever those are).

The other thing I have possible issue with is I wasn't aware AA had reached the point where they can only create one more product. If that is the case, then I definitely would put T-Shirts near the bottom of the list.

Finally, just because you don't like T-Shirts, doesn't invalidate those of us who do. I find your post came across a bit trollish, as though you wish to belittle the suggestion. My understanding of this area of the forum is it is one where no idea is off-limits. Rather than trash my idea, perhaps you should start a different thread asking for AA to create things you would find useful. Chances are high I'd agree with you and second your motion. Mostly because I tend to pimp out games I really like.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-18-2013 at 17:20.

Sorry but, I have to agree with Chris. I need another T-shirt like I need a stern rake.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Personally I would have as much interest in "Sails" t shirt as I have in a "Wings" t shirt - absolutely none (apart from the UK specific ones that we've had made here for events).

However, I fully appreciate that there are some for whom these would be particularly attractive and I would in no way want to deny them that. Perhaps if Keith does not want to pursue this someone else might?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I agree with Curtis in terms of having a dedicated shirt for running cons. I would prefer a polo in such instances, but if t-shirts were available, I would pick one up for that reason.

Similarly, if the Illinois/Wisconsin group had a polo, I would pick one up for no other reason than to show support for our group.

For me, it is more about marketing or the group than the shirt, in itself.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Apparel that matches the game you are demoing has great advertising value to drive interest up for your demos. So, having said that, I hope you meant the T-Shirt is usable at the con and not Revel Micro Wings (which, to be honest, I have no idea whatsoever those are).
    1) I was not trolling you, nor trashing your idea -- merely stating a few unfortunate facts which seem to have been overlooked (like, for one: It's been tried before, and has failed miserably; see comments re the WoG shirts).

The reference to Micro Wings (a series of 1/144 WW2 aircraft models) was a reference to how many people use 1/144-scale models to play the game (enough to warrant a conference on the _WoG_ forum).

2) If I need advertising for a game, that's what table stand-ups, flyers, and such are for. Cheaper; more useful (I can set out flyers or cards, which people can take with them so they can remember the product later); and also reusable (the ones which don't get taken at a con can be reused at future cons). More: If one is wearing a shirt with an ad on it while running a demo, most of the people who see it *already know about the game*; the ad value is marginal at best. Flyers and such are more likely to catch the folks who don't know about the game, and wouldn't otherwise hear of it (the password is "chum"...).

In short: Shirts have been tried, and found wanting; on that basis, I doubt seriously The Boss is going to do anything with the idea here.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Does anyone know where I could lay my hands on a Coastal Battery Terrain set?
    Would be willing to swap a ship model if someone has a set to trade.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A new re release is due sometime this month Reg.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Maturin View Post
    Does anyone know where I could lay my hands on a Coastal Battery Terrain set?
    Would be willing to swap a ship model if someone has a set to trade.
    I just received the release notice from Ares today Reg. I should have some stocked in about a week or so.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great news Keith.
    I will be sending you an extensive order myself, especially if the range sticks and wind markers are ready as well by then.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great news Keith.
    I will be sending you an extensive order myself, especially if the range sticks and wind markers are ready as well by then.
    Rob.
    Rob, those will be restocked here soon as well. I just need to get some new photographs of the original wind indicator as I can't seem to find the ones I had on the old site anywhere.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the swift reply Keith.
    i will hang on for a bit then.
    Rob.