Thread: Battle of Brandywine-Regimental Fire and Fury AAR

Default Battle of Brandywine-Regimental Fire and Fury AAR

This week we stepped further back in time to the Battle of Brandywine using Regimental Fire and Fury.

Full report with many pics can be found here:

http://rallyroundtheflag.blogspot.co...ntal-fire.html

Enjoy!

Aaron

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great pictures on the blog, Aaron. Looks like a lot of fun. Great set up.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

As I asked up at the field: Who in hell deploys troops with a river at their *backs*? Water obstacles go *in front* of the troops, not *behind*.

The water was only broken terrain....the wall was fortified position.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

Well, consider as burning your bridges scenario.....

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsides View Post
    The water was only broken terrain....the wall was fortified position.
    Hmm -- what about the water here: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps436454b6.jpg ?

Looking at the historical maps: I'm guessing someone didn't bother to secure the ford outside Sconneltown ("Faulty recon").

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Hmm -- what about the water here: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps436454b6.jpg ?

Looking at the historical maps: I'm guessing someone didn't bother to secure the ford outside Sconneltown ("Faulty recon").
    Per the scenario all water was simply broken terrain which just slowed movement rates.

Nice looking game. I live just down the road from the battlefield. They usually do a nice reenactment every year in September near the visitor's center. Sadly a chunk of the actual battlefield is given over to condos and of course Baltimore Pike is now a four lane road. Much of the land on either side of the river is preserved though as are some of the buildings at Dilworthtown.

You should try the battle using Black Powder for a quicker game, although I like RFnF for the period, just smaller battles! (I did play in a Bladensburg scenario run by Rich Hasenhauer at a convention).

Eric

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Per the scenario all water was simply broken terrain which just slowed movement rates.
    Hmm -- best I can tell from the data, the creek proper should have been a full-on block to passage (else why the fighting over the fords, and the need to end-run the Continental position?).

Oh well -- the Continental player did better than Washington managed. :)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Hmm -- best I can tell from the data, the creek proper should have been a full-on block to passage (else why the fighting over the fords, and the need to end-run the Continental position?).

Oh well -- the Continental player did better than Washington managed. :)
    I am not real familiar with the terrain....this was supposed to be the extreme right of the action past the fords. Based on the scenario map I envisioned the water to be a tributary stream.

I am not real familiar with the terrain....this was supposed to be the extreme right of the action past the fords. Based on the scenario map I envisioned the water to be a tributary stream.
    On the left side of the action where the Hessians attacked the Brandywine is a bona fide river, well ok large creek! I'd say it is about 50-100 meters across at this point. The water level may well have been deeper in the 18th century, but even today you can't walk across it, depending on the weather. This location is a put in point for canoes today. Further up on the right there is a tributary branch, which is a smaller stream. However Howe got across unopposed since he had a guide who knew of a ford further north than Washington's position.

Eric