Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO WILL GET THEIR PACKAGE FIRST?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    All that being said, it would still seem like sometime next week we should start seeing deliveries in the contiguous 48 unless something in the timeline has changed.
    Just as well -- I'm in Southern California right now....

And his Royal Hajjness has defined why Mr. Manley's delivery doesn't count: As noted, he has "inside connections" which allow him to bypass the normal order of training. :)

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

And that's why Mr. in your post is interpreted as Maneuverability Rating? Which is, in this particular case, very high for David :)

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

So with the latest KS update from Ares, it might be possible that deliveries start going out on Friday.

That is, if the delivery folks only take Thursday off and don't make it a long weekend.

A UPS shipment sent Friday might make it to those close by on Saturday.

Eric, are you planning on being by your front door this weekend?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I don't expect for shipments to start until next week sometime. There is a lot to do when a big order like this comes in. We also can't forget that this is not the only project/customer the warehouse has.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

Also, it's Thanksgiving. Many businesses (not mine, though ) have off the whole weekend.
    Karl

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Sadly, my relatives make the office seem like a permanent vacation... :(

Top Two List of Thanksgiving Activities with my folks:
    2. Eat.
    1. LEAVE.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Saw the kickstarter email so should the ships should be in the mail soon. Good news.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Eric, are you planning on being by your front door this weekend?
    Now, I am thinking yes.

Let's see, we have black-Friday and cyber-Monday; SoG-Saturday sounds rather good.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And if that's the case, then I win the "when will the packages arrive" game -- everyone else "overbid", while I predicted 2014....

>;)

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

So the next question is:

When will the first auction for a KS exclusive ship appear on ebay?

So the next question is:

When will the first auction for a KS exclusive ship appear on ebay?
    The day it arrives in the mail!

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The day it arrives in the mail!
    So if there really won't be any more made, I wonder if one could corner the market?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Damn, now I wish I coulda conned the rels to loan me a couple hundred bucks for "investment" in extra exclusives...

And someday, I hope we see the KS Exclusive "Side B" Redoutable show up as a Side A card with a different flip-side along with a special edition of Victory with a different Side B in a Duel Pack... :)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So if there really won't be any more made, I wonder if one could corner the market?
    I would be amazed if they stay "exclusive".

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, I know they were saying that the "package" for each exclusive would be a One Shot Deal, which implies to me that the names and sculpts may show up again with new paint schemes, new Side B names and new stats on both sides.

As long as the Side B has a different name and it's different paint, I would probably buy a "recycled KS-exclusive named ship"... though generally other than Redoutable, Bellerophon and other such "rock stars" I'd really rather see new names on both Side A AND Side B, since I'll bet we run out of game to sell them in before Ares runs out of Slade Common 74's (even if you add the upgunned Slade Large 74 variant), Temeraires-and-subclasses or Hebe/Hortense/Virginie/FR Pallas/UK Leda-family ships to offer...

For the record, I HOPE to be proven wrong, but with NINETY-plus Temeraires built, including British copies, and with how many of those ships changed flags more frequently than some of their crew changed underwear... LOL

I thought you did.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I agree with Ed on this one. I too thought you are the kingpin when it comes to cornering the market on the KS exclusives.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I thought you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    I agree with Ed on this one. I too thought you are the kingpin when it comes to cornering the market on the KS exclusives.
    Not yet...

but it may be something worth working on.
    Perhaps then I could change my handle to De Beers.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Damn, now I wish I coulda conned the rels to loan me a couple hundred bucks for "investment" in extra exclusives...

And someday, I hope we see the KS Exclusive "Side B" Redoutable show up as a Side A card with a different flip-side along with a special edition of Victory with a different Side B in a Duel Pack... :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well, I know they were saying that the "package" for each exclusive would be a One Shot Deal, which implies to me that the names and sculpts may show up again with new paint schemes, new Side B names and new stats on both sides.

As long as the Side B has a different name and it's different paint, I would probably buy a "recycled KS-exclusive named ship"... though generally other than Redoutable, Bellerophon and other such "rock stars" I'd really rather see new names on both Side A AND Side B, since I'll bet we run out of game to sell them in before Ares runs out of Slade Common 74's (even if you add the upgunned Slade Large 74 variant), Temeraires-and-subclasses or Hebe/Hortense/Virginie/FR Pallas/UK Leda-family ships to offer...

For the record, I HOPE to be proven wrong, but with NINETY-plus Temeraires built, including British copies, and with how many of those ships changed flags more frequently than some of their crew changed underwear... LOL
    I thought it was worth taking a shot.
    I did post here quite a few times that I thought it might be a good speculative investment.

Just how "exclusive" the packaging looks will be interesting to see.

Right now a Richthofen WoG DR1 sells for about $10 on ebay while a very similar WoW packaged Richthofen DR1 tends to sell for $30 - $50.
    I would guess that the WoW Richthofen DR1's were produced in fairly high quantities but that many of those may no longer effectively exist.

We will likely never know exactly how many of each KS exclusive were made but some will show up for sale from time to time and if the demand exceeds supply, well, we'll see what happens.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

The WoW were the first issued by NEXUS so they demand a higher price as being a collectable. To some the WoG Dr1 is a reprint but it is the first by ARES. I am sure that some of the models that well be sent in the KS set will demand a high price to some as they will only be sent to those that were the KS folks. Some of the ships in the KS set are only for the KS folks.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Capt P View Post
    I am sure that some of the models that well be sent in the KS set will demand a high price to some as they will only be sent to those that were the KS folks
    I'm sure they will, and I'm sure that was the point of them.
    It will be interesting to see the reaction though. I recall in recent months over on the Aerodrome a lot of rather less than happy comments regarding the prices of "rare" models and choice words regarding "speculators"

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    words regarding "speculators"
    Entrepreneurs.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I have been buying all the Wings series since they were released and that is for myself. I do have a couple of doubles of some of the planes but just for game play.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Entrepreneurs.
    Pirates. >;)

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Pirates. >;)
    Arrrgghhhh :angry:,

But we should finally see the first deliveries through regular channels in the next day or three.

High prices only exist if someone is willing to pay them, there's no moral obligation for anyone to sell anything for any particular amount to anyone. If something becomes rare, it's value increases. How many of you (well not you guys...I mean the ones over on WOG who might have complained) would moan if your house value doubled, would you refuse to take the profit on the sale? If you invested in widgets because you thought they would go up in value and they didnt everyone would call you a fool, but if they did rise (think bitcoins, MS shares) then suddenly you are less than savoury for turning a tidy profit.

It's all pretty silly, no-one has cornered the market, if people speculated on SOG or WOG by buying up models in the hope of profiting from them, then they actually have helped to make those products more successful!

The ironies in free markets are legion, most of the whingers would crow of their success if they picked up a rarity at a cheap price but bemoan the "real"market value as usorious. Some people play, some people collect that is the nature of most hobbies and they effect the market differently but neither group has any intrinsic right to criticise the other as their motives are different and they each bring to the hobby investment which keeps the hobby going.

I'll now get down from my high horse and consider what I ate today that made me so cranky..

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I find it kind of interesting that there have been no comments (from backers) on the KS page for the past 6 days.

An update from Ares would be nice too actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    High prices only exist if someone is willing to pay
    If you know how to market, someone will pay. Look at our last two elections. We're all paying.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Name:  nelson and hardy.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  158.1 KB

Well done Neil

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

and finally:

Name:  trafalgar 2.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  147.8 KB

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Apologies to one and all but Collingwood is the unsung hero of Trafalgar. After which he was refused permission to return home and died at sea in the Mediterranean. Sent home in a barrel of alcohol! What an ignominious end to a true Geordie Hero.

Name:  collingwood (427x640).jpg
Views: 718
Size:  117.7 KB

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm sure they will, and I'm sure that was the point of them.
    It will be interesting to see the reaction though. I recall in recent months over on the Aerodrome a lot of rather less than happy comments regarding the prices of "rare" models and choice words regarding "speculators"
    It is interesting. I recently started selling many of those rarer birds on the AA site (at what I think and hope is at least a more reasonable price) and I've received no complaints, only sales.

It may just be me, but I don't see the exclusive ship models, or more precisely exclusive paint schemes, being as popular as those of the WWI aircraft. The ships just don't seem to stand out as much as the aircraft and don't have the "celebrity" appeal of the aces that flew them. Of course there will always be the collectors that wish to at least one of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Apologies to one and all but Collingwood is the unsung hero of Trafalgar. After which he was refused permission to return home and died at sea in the Mediterranean. Sent home in a barrel of alcohol! What an ignominious end to a true Geordie Hero.

I always wondered why he didn't get the recognition he deserved at Trafalgar. I guess he was just overshadowed by Nelson.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I'll now get down from my high horse and consider what I ate today that made me so cranky..
    It's the prune juice. :)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I agree with you Neil. See here...
    http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...AL-COLLINGWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    It may just be me, but I don't see the exclusive ship models, or more precisely exclusive paint schemes, being as popular as those of the WWI aircraft. The ships just don't seem to stand out as much as the aircraft and don't have the "celebrity" appeal of the aces that flew them. Of course there will always be the collectors that wish to at least one of everything.
    Absolutely agree with you Bobby. WOW/G planes have distinctive artwork which makes many of them highly attractive pieces on their own, regardless of each aircraft's play value. SOG ships will, and this has been noted by others in demo games, have remarkable similar appearances from a distance regardless of ship type and thus the aesthetic pull is going to be less. The collectors will collect, others may be quite happy to have a certain number of ships rather than one or more of everything.

Richtofen's red DR1 is identifiable from several meters away on the table as other several other aircraft, but could you pick the difference between any British 74 or French 74 from that range? Unlikely!

, but could you pick the difference between any British 74 or French 74 from that range? Unlikely!
    That's why they have flags.

But I do agree with you and Coog that they don't have the "celebrity appeal or artwork" of the WGF line.
    I also think that the appeal will increase once they bring in other rates and Nationalities. Right now with the exception of one ship, they're all yellow and black. With only a 74 and a Frigate to choose from.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Perhaps this has been discussed before,
    but does anyone know if there are plans for the 4 ships that are part of the Starter Set:

HMS Terpsichore 1785, HMS Defence 1763, Courageuse 1778, Genereux 1785

To be made available as individual Ship Packs or will these be Starter Set only ships?

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Because he survived and Nelson died they (Government) didn't want Collingwood to come home and steal the glory. He was kept at sea until his death.

I always wondered why he didn't get the recognition he deserved at Trafalgar. I guess he was just overshadowed by Nelson.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Absolutely agree with you Bobby. WOW/G planes have distinctive artwork which makes many of them highly attractive pieces on their own, regardless of each aircraft's play value. SOG ships will, and this has been noted by others in demo games, have remarkable similar appearances from a distance regardless of ship type and thus the aesthetic pull is going to be less. The collectors will collect, others may be quite happy to have a certain number of ships rather than one or more of everything.

Richtofen's red DR1 is identifiable from several meters away on the table as other several other aircraft, but could you pick the difference between any British 74 or French 74 from that range? Unlikely!
    I had always thought that the fact that in allied squadrons equipped with say, SE5's, all of the individual planes tended to look about the same was kind of cool and ominous.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

High prices only exist if someone is willing to pay them...
    Daniel, some horses are worth riding. I have seen folk's thinking change when they took a basic macroeconomics course. When one steps back and consider the interaction of supply and demand, rationing mechanisms for scarce resources, that people respond to incentives, and opportunity costs and tradeoffs, one gains a lot of insight into human behavior and into how an economy works naturally. When it comes to prices, it is important to remember they make sense in light of other prices. Is $30 for a WoG plane expensive? It depends on what else I could do with that $30, what I would give up to get that plane. It also depends on the price of my labor, and the amount of expendable income that price produces.

and finally:
    Great stuff, Neil. You have brought so much creativity to the 'Drome; it will exciting to see what you bring here.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I had always thought that the fact that in allied squadrons equipped with say, SE5's, all of the individual planes tended to look about the same was kind of cool and ominous.
    I am noticing the same thing when reading AARs. I kind of like the "uniform", if you will.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am noticing the same thing when reading AARs. I kind of like the "uniform", if you will.
    Perhaps the difference as applied to SGN is if in the phrase "Ship of the Line" you emphasize the word Ship or Line.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Perhaps the difference as applied to SGN is if in the phrase "Ship of the Line" you emphasize the word Ship or Line.
    I can envision that. During the demo games, ships were scattered about. I imagine seeing a line of ships approaching could be a bit daunting.

When I see pictures of WoG games in which there is a formation of uniformly painted planes, the group's image gives the impression of strength. I do like the Central Powers paint schemes and structural aesthetics, though. They are a source of eye candy.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I can envision that. During the demo games, ships were scattered about. I imagine seeing a line of ships approaching could be a bit daunting.

When I see pictures of WoG games in which there is a formation of uniformly painted planes, the group's image gives the impression of strength. I do like the Central Powers paint schemes and structural aesthetics, though. They are a source of eye candy.
    I would guess that an area where there would be the potential for a significant difference in game tactics expressed on the table would involve how many ships one player controlled.

If you controlled an entire line it would be interesting.
    If you controlled "ship five in the line", not so much.

Perhaps an interesting study in Psychology would be a game where 6 players controlling individual ships played against one player controlling 6 ships.

I'm not sure that I could handle more than two or three at a time without a migraine at the end of the game.
    Do you feel that one player directing six + ships being controlled with one mind would take away from the confusion and fog of war of a real battle, or add to it?

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I'm not sure that I could handle more than two or three at a time without a migraine at the end of the game.
    Do you feel that one player directing six + ships being controlled with one mind would take away from the confusion and fog of war of a real battle, or add to it?
    I guess that I would say it might more closely approximate a well trained squadron in battle than would be by the actions of a number of individual players.

It has always amazed me that infantry squares were able to hold solid formations for such long periods of time when out in an open field and under attack.
    The training just showed through the fog.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It has always amazed me that infantry squares were able to hold solid formations for such long periods of time when out in an open field and under attack.
    The training just showed through the fog.
    I wonder how much of that is due to proximity to the leader, and the closeness of the personal relationships. Last night, I watched an interview with one of the recent Medal of Honor recipients. Training, relationships with the man on one's left and right, friendship, and the willingness to follow a given leader were all mentioned.