Thread: New Challenger Disaster Investigation Film Premiers This Saturday Evening

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default New Challenger Disaster Investigation Film Premiers This Saturday Evening

This coming Saturday evening, the Science Channel and the Discovery Channel will be simulcasting a new dramatic movie about the investigation into the Challenger Disaster.
    The lead role will be played by William Hurt. He is playing the committee member who because of his investigative scientific mind and independence from NASA and other government agencies was the one who was able to find and make public what had actually caused the disaster.

BTW, the person that William Hurt is playing is Richard Phillips Feynman.
    (I wonder why I would bring this up...)
    Last edited by RichardPF; 11-16-2013 at 20:03.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Thank you for giving us a heads up on this movie. Should be fascinating viewing.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It is hard to believe this was almost 30 years ago. I remember watching this on TV while at work. It seems like yesterday; the images of the disaster, and the memory of where I was, my surroundings, are still vivid in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    This coming Thursday evening, the Science Channel and the Discovery Channel will be simulcasting a new dramatic movie about the investigation into the Challenger Disaster.
    The lead role will be played by William Hurt. He is playing the committee member who because of his investigative scientific mind and independence from NASA and other government agencies was the one who was able to find and make public what had actually caused the disaster.

BTW, the person that William Hurt is playing is Richard Phillips Feynman.
    (I wonder why I would bring this up...)
    I guess whoever this mysterious Richard Phillips Feynman person is should be glad he didn't get someone as handsome as Vincent Schiavelli cast to play him!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this. I had a professor that was on the investigation team for Three mile Island and it was pretty amazing what silly things caused catastrophic results and of course, it wasn't just one thing.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I guess whoever this mysterious Richard Phillips Feynman person is should be glad he didn't get someone as handsome as Vincent Schiavelli cast to play him!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this. I had a professor that was on the investigation team for Three mile Island and it was pretty amazing what silly things caused catastrophic results and of course, it wasn't just one thing.
    Whoever?

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...ynman-bio.html

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-P.-Feynman/e/B000AQ47U8

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_feynman.html

http://www.feynman.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Movie starring Matthew Broderick about Feynman's life with his first wife, Arline :

Infinity (1996)

Considering your screen name, I thought you were referring to yourself, so I phrased it that way as a joke.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Thanks for the heads up on this one Bruce, I'll have to make sure to watch it. This happened on my brothers birthday and I was standing outside at lunchtime watching it at school, age 10. Something I will never forget.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    It is hard to believe this was almost 30 years ago. I remember watching this on TV while at work. It seems like yesterday; the images of the disaster, and the memory of where I was, my surroundings, are still vivid in my mind.
    Not to mention having to beat the s*** out of people cracking "Needs Another Seven Astronauts" jokes around me, because my father happened to be in the business.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That sounds interesting. I hope that a t.v. channel in the U.K. will show it some time soon.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

We found it listed for Sat in our area on Direct TV, just fyi

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That sounds interesting. I hope that a t.v. channel in the U.K. will show it some time soon.
    I believe that it was produced in conjunction with the BBC so it should be available roughly simultaneously there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    We found it listed for Sat in our area on Direct TV, just fyi
    I think that this is a very big production deal for them so I would bet it will be broadcast many, many, times.

Love this quote: "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

Eric

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Love this quote: "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

Eric
    Yes, in my view, the Challenger report basically consists of two parts:
    The main report that is official bureaucratic blather, and the Feynman appendix that actually says something.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

"... reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

Eric
    Same with public policy.

It is a great quote.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"All theory is gray, my friend. But forever green is the tree of life." [Goethe]