Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sure Andy, I can do that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

I finally ordered ratlines for Wave 1

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    I finally ordered ratlines for Wave 1
    Me too - and one of the "Long 9" wind indicators as well!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Keith. It's me bugging you about the brass ratlines (again). According to your 4-17-14 post you should have them in hand by now? If not, might you be expecting to ship fairly soon? I know you're working a lot of hours so it might be a couple more weeks before we get them in the mail. Thanks!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I just talked to the company yesterday via email and there was a delay. Looks like another two weeks possibly before I get them
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I just talked to the company yesterday via email and there was a delay. Looks like another two weeks possibly before I get them
    Thanks for the update Keith. The main reason I'm asking is it's finally warm enough to start spray painting outside so of course I want to get those ratlines on some of the pirate repaints.

I wont ask again for a couple of weeks at least.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we got the Wave 2 ships before the ratlines?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Looks like irony became fact. Any news on the ratlines?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

They started shipping out yesterday ;)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great news. Thanks, Keith.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Thats great news Keith!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Thanks for the great news, can't wait to see them.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Great news, Keith. Ah, can we clarify they're shipping from you or shipping from the original producer to you? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Great news, Keith. Ah, can we clarify they're shipping from you or shipping from the original producer to you? Thanks!
    Shipping to us from AA - Just got my shipping e-mail yesterday!

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Thats even better news

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Shipping to us from AA - Just got my shipping e-mail yesterday!
    And we want photos, preferably on the ship!!

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

And we want photos, preferably on the ship!!
    Somehow I believe first photo-reports will be yours

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    Somehow I believe first photo-reports will be yours
    I would be happy to oblige, but mine have not shipped yet. I think Keith is holding them to ship with my Wave 2 stuff. The way things are going that might be weeks, unfortunately.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The AA site upgrade that crapped out on me has held up the shippments. I can't actually process the orders from the backend. I hope to have that solved tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for bearing with me on this.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The AA site upgrade that crapped out on me has held up the shippments. I can't actually process the orders from the backend. I hope to have that solved tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for bearing with me on this.
    Thanks for the update Keith. I didn't realize that the site was causing you problems again? The stuff will get here eventually, I have no doubt. Cheers.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I managed to get a lot of orders processed yesterday. A bunch of Ratlines are now on their way to a port near you.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I managed to get a lot of orders processed yesterday. A bunch of Ratlines are now on their way to a port near you.
    Thanks Keith. I just got notice that the ratlines are shipping. I also got a credit notice for the Wave 2 ships, but I don't think those have actually shipped yet.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Jim, your ships did ship The way I did the refund for the missing ship caused the site not to send out the shipping notice on yours. I corrected my process going forward with the rest of the ship orders that went out.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, your ships did ship The way I did the refund for the missing ship caused the site not to send out the shipping notice on yours. I corrected my process going forward with the rest of the ship orders that went out.
    Cool beans! Thanks Keith. Can't wait to see those ratlines! How did they turn out?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

They turned out great. I've not had time to use them yet, but the detail on this is mind blowing. Makes the Langton lines look bulky.

They turned out great. I've not had time to use them yet, but the detail on this is mind blowing. Makes the Langton lines look bulky.
    I will second Keith on these - awesome detail and they turned out great. Now to get the time to sit down and start rigging ships!!

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent. How is your current supply? Did you sell out, or still have some on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I will second Keith on these - awesome detail and they turned out great. Now to get the time to sit down and start rigging ships!!

Eric
    Thanks for the updates. Will be anxious to see them in person.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Well, my current supply is a little messed up. The factory did not ship my entire order to me. So, I'm currently sold out right now because I have no more of 102. The missing ratlines land here in the US on Tuesday, and then will be sent to me. Once I have those, I'll still have some stock left.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Keith,

Should I put in an order for ratlines now, or is it best to wait until you are restocked?

Thanks.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

Keith, if I didn't receive a notification from you, does this mean my preorder wasn't filled? Don't want to anticipate if my order isn't coming yet.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Keith,

Should I put in an order for ratlines now, or is it best to wait until you are restocked?

Thanks.
    Please wait... besides, the site is still not taking orders :(

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Keith, if I didn't receive a notification from you, does this mean my preorder wasn't filled? Don't want to anticipate if my order isn't coming yet.
    If you can give me an order number, I can double check it for you.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'll wait until you inform us it is a go. No hurry, here.

Wishing you the best on resolving these problems.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dominic

I just sent you an email with the order number and the details of the order.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

My many sets of brass ratlines arrived. They are works of art. After peeling oof the plastic film they blacken perfectly with Blacken-It. But which goes where?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis41 View Post
    My many sets of brass ratlines arrived. They are works of art. After peeling oof the plastic film they blacken perfectly with Blacken-It. But which goes where?
    Hi Michael,

Check out post #31 in this thread (on page 1). If I'm reading the diagram correctly. One is the lower foremast, 2 is upper foremast. 3 is the lower mainmast and 4 is the upper mainmast. 5 is the lower mizzenmast and 6 the upper mizzenmast. The ratlines at each number are for both the port and starboard sides of the mast. Post number #130 also in this thread (page number 3) shows the orientation with the straight or nearly vertical edge going towards the bow of the ship.

If this doesn't make sense, or I'm getting it wrong, hopefully Keith or others will correct me.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Are 5 and 6 correct? 6 looks like it might be lower mizzen....

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Check out post #31 in this thread (on page 1). If I'm reading the diagram correctly. One is the lower foremast, 2 is upper foremast. 3 is the lower mainmast and 4 is the upper mainmast. 5 is the lower mizzenmast and 6 the upper mizzenmast. The ratlines at each number are for both the port and starboard sides of the mast. Post number #130 also in this thread (page number 3) shows the orientation with the straight or nearly vertical edge going towards the bow of the ship.
    That is correct.

Are 5 and 6 correct? 6 looks like it might be lower mizzen....
    On one or two of the ships (I can't recall at this point which), the upper mizzen was actually larger then the lower mizzen.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Thanks you for the clarification. As beautiful as the frets are, they will require very careful cutting and handling. Properly done, they should transform the Ares models.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
    2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
    3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
    2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
    3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....
    I've never used Blacken-It but from what I just read on some model ship forums it can destroy small brass parts pretty quickly?

I haven't received my brass ratlines yet, but I do appreciate your posting some warnings and advice. They do look rather delicate, which was the real attraction for any of the ship models I've been working on; Ares, Langton or GHQ. Are the sheets protected on both side with a peel off film? I'm wondering if some work should be done before the second film is removed from the frets? If there's only one side of film then working of the clean brass side first?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

There is film on both sides... and they are delicate so handle with care. Once on, I don't think there will be any issues with them. I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

There is film on both sides... and they are delicate so handle with care. Once on, I don't think there will be any issues with them. I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.
    Thanks Keith. Traditionally the standing rigging goes on first, then the ratlines and finally the running rigging if you choose to do running rigging. I wonder if the ratlines can be saved for last so you don't risk damage? But working around the running rigging could be an issue all its own. Can't wait to see them in person.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think anyone with skills and inclination to do both sets of rigging will be fine with these. You are already use to working with small delicate parts.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Would black permanent marker work for "paint"?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Marker trends to get vague over time...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I tried permanent marker on one of the pre-production samples. It kind of colored them. I had an old marker and only tried one coat... so a little more effort may make that method work. I think brush painting them could work as well if done right. The paint would need to be thinned properly and they would need to be placed on an absorbent surface (paper towel perhaps). The issue with brush painting them is the paint will fill the small areas between the ratlines. If the paper towel was allowed to soak up that excess paint, I think it could work.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I was also assuming a flat clear-coat as final step, which I shoulda mentioned. (Force of habit: NOTHING gets outshopped from my workbench without at least some kind of protective clearcoat.)

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Still I would go for the Black spraycan

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephane

Would air brushing work?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

Yup think so but I would go for a Black primer paint, and dont forget to clean the brass before spraying it with some dishwashing soap to take off greasy residu

I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.
    It seems to me that unless you are going to play with a select group of friends, you would be better off leaving ratlines and rigging off. Or keep two sets of ships...one fully rigged for that select group and one without rigging for those random groups at the local game store and cons. It is inevitable that a ham fisted klutz will crush your ratlines or an inattentive kid will bounce a model off the floor. After putting in so much care and effort to create a beautiful model, is it worth the risk?