Thread: NAVCON 2013

Default NAVCON 2013

Another NAVCON has come and gone. Another great day for Naval Thunder. There were a total of three NT games on the schedule. Mike and I ran two of them, Historical Java Sea and Alternate History Pearl Harbor Counter strike. Then four of us stuck around for a quick battle of the River Plate scenario (unfortunately quicker than I would have liked as it ended with a bang.)

We had 10 players at the Java Sea event and 11 at the Pearl Harbor. Both were capacity plus, but we made room as all were eager to play, but we made room as there were some old hats and a few new comers.

I will do up full AARs later for the games we ran, but here are some teaser pics from the action.

Java Sea set up and ready to go:

It became very bloody as the scenario progressed:

Pearl Harbor Counter strike Set up:

As it was a night action it also became bloody as the ranges became close:

The final game we played was River Plate. I will just say as the Geramn player I had the Exeter on the run until I rolled 0,0 on a secondary penetrating hit. Only time I was able to actually play all day and the only Magazine explsion all day....go figure! :)

Thanks to all that came out an played, I really enjoyed it after a two year absence.

Unfortunately I did not really get a chance to get around much to the other games, but there was a beautiful Age of Sail game running next to us which I captured a couple pics from.

Believe it or not those are paper models...very impressive!

Great shots Aaron. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a clearer picture of the paper SoL's?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Do you know the source of the paper models, please? Are they something which we could use to play Sails of Glory?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Do you know the source of the paper models, please? Are they something which we could use to play Sails of Glory?
    Here's one source:

http://www.warartisan.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Ha beat me to it.

Here are his most current pics from NAVCON.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/war_art...7636290581086/

They look really good. The high SGN bases would work great with these fragile ships.

What an impressive sight the Bay of Bengal game is with these ships. I might try out the free model of the 64 and see how easy/hard they are to do.

Nice naval action AAR.

Did I read that River Plate report right?

You blew up the HMS Exeter mit a salvo from the Panzerschiff Graf Spee?

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    What an impressive sight the Bay of Bengal game is with these ships. I might try out the free model of the 64 and see how easy/hard they are to do.
    He also has paper models in 1/300 scale for the Battle of Lake Erie and Lake Champlain.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very cool, Aaron. Is NAVCON always in October?

Do any of you know of paper sources for ACW ships?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Very cool, Aaron. Is NAVCON always in October?

Do any of you know of paper sources for ACW ships?
    Yes, usually the first weekend of October which makes for a busy gaming month with ROCKCON at the end of OCT.

As for ACW not sure as I currently do not game Naval ACW, only land. There was a very cool ACW game being played though (Iron and Oack IIRC) that comes with counters, but looked like it was begging for minis. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice naval action AAR.

Did I read that River Plate report right?

You blew up the HMS Exeter mit a salvo from the Panzerschiff Graf Spee?
    No Exeter blew up Graf Spee with an extremely lucky shot.

...as long as it happened in the estuary.