Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchorage Accessories added to the site

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    We placed the white side up after the guns fired. It provided a great visual as well as reminded us which ships completed combat. At the end of the turn, we flipped the counters over to the brown side, and placed them on the ship base, so the following turn, it was clear which guns could not fire, i.e. they were being loaded. At the end of that turn, we removed all the brown counters, indicating the guns were loaded and ready for the next turn. It worked great. All of the info was right on the table in front of us. It helped when plotting moves because you are looking at the table, and you don't have to remember when a given ship will be able to shoot; it is right there in front of you, clearly indicated. I doubt we will use the ammo chits on the game mats for anything other than to remind us what type of ammo we have loaded.

We will order more of these, definitely. We did not anticipate they would become actual playing aids.
    It's cool seeing how different groups work out how to use the accessories to their best advantage.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

We placed the white side up after the guns fired. It provided a great visual as well as reminded us which ships completed combat. At the end of the turn, we flipped the counters over to the brown side, and placed them on the ship base, so the following turn, it was clear which guns could not fire, i.e. they were being loaded. At the end of that turn, we removed all the brown counters, indicating the guns were loaded and ready for the next turn. It worked great. All of the info was right on the table in front of us. It helped when plotting moves because you are looking at the table, and you don't have to remember when a given ship will be able to shoot; it is right there in front of you, clearly indicated. I doubt we will use the ammo chits on the game mats for anything other than to remind us what type of ammo we have loaded.

We will order more of these, definitely. We did not anticipate they would become actual playing aids.
    It's cool seeing how different groups work out how to use the accessories to their best advantage.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just for fun I decided to try some Sharpie coloring of the Anchorage Accessories clouds. Folks have already adopted them as a playing aid and my 'fire clouds' aren't meant to alter that. They do look a little bit more like cannon fire (or a fire on board ship) and I kept the white side clouds because I really like that look just as much.

Anyway, just an experiment while waiting on my SoG ships coming into port.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 18:42.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephane

Look great!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Just for fun I decided to try some Sharpie coloring of the Anchorage Accessories clouds.
    Excellent fire, Jim. The top picture looks a bit aglow.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Jim,

The clouds look great. Together with your enhanced rulers and attitude marker, your games going to be looking pretty damn good from the moment you get it!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Excellent fire, Jim. The top picture looks a bit aglow.
    Eric, the camera did not like the abundance of red, hence the glow. In person they're much more subdued (browns, yellows and orange show up better).

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Hi Jim,

The clouds look great. Together with your enhanced rulers and attitude marker, your games going to be looking pretty damn good from the moment you get it!
    Thanks Chris. I'm hoping that the games can start sooner than later!

They look great Jim. Would they fit on your ship base adjacent to the ship or are they too wide?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    They look great Jim. Would they fit on your ship base adjacent to the ship or are they too wide?
    They'll definitely fit on the base. I think they'll fit even better on the final SoG production ships, which I understand was how they used them in several of the latest convention demos.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Excellent enhancement Jim. Thanks for sharing the info and photos.

Nice broadside!

I found something comparable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice broadside!

That I believe is the USS Wisconsin. I have a couple of it's pictures as screen savers. I love how the bow is being pushed over!!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice broadside!

Awesome photo! Nothing like a visual 'definition' of firepower?!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    I love how the bow is being pushed over!!!
    Out of curiosity I wonder how much movement there is on a full broadside?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I wonder what it would be like to witness and feel such a firing for the first time.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    TOO much--IIRC they found that full broadsides were causing structural damage, so restricted them to firing only two at a time with the third close after, maybe a second's delay.

I wonder what it would be like to witness and feel such a firing for the first time.
    The German soldiers at the Normandy 1944 were witness of Allied Battleship fire in the target area.

The the headquarter of the 12th SS Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend was ploughed by Battleships and Commander Fritz Witt was killed. (...als im Verlauf der Schlacht um Caen am 14. Juni 1944 sein Hauptquartier in Venoix unter schweren Granatbeschuss von Kriegsschiffen geriet.)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Hardly any. What you are seeing are waves from the ship's hull caused by the shock waves in the structure rather than the ship moving sideways.

While they look good, personally I would stick with the grey smoke effect. Not much yellow and red colored "fire" effect coming from smoothbore cannons. What you'll end up with is clouds of whitish grey smoke from the black powder with some subdued muzzle blast effect.