Thread: Anchorage Accessories added to the site

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Thanks for the info, Keith. I have to say that I really like the smoke clouds! They really help drive home the image of the cannons firing. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    Thanks for the info, Keith. I have to say that I really like the smoke clouds! They really help drive home the image of the cannons firing. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeves.
    One thing we did when using these was to leave the brown cover on the back, so when going into combat, intended fire was marked, with brown side up.
    Then the smoke was turned over to the white once the fire was resolved.
    They work really well and look great as a visual.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    One thing we did when using these was to leave the brown cover on the back, so when going into combat, intended fire was marked, with brown side up.
    Very good idea.

Holy crap, that's smart.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here are some photos of the slightly enhanced ruler, the AI (left as is) and smoke markers that I got via the online store. As Keith indicated above, black crayons work great for coloring in the black lines on the smoke. It turns out the china markers are comparable and wipe off just a little bit better. I do like the way the ruler turned out, but I needed to seal the wood first as the ink really wants to bleed into the fiber. I had a lot of fun taking pictures, which is just another indicator that I can't wait for this game to get here.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 18:28.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Here are some photos of the slightly enhanced ruler, the AI (left as is) and smoke markers that I got via the online store. As Keith indicated above, black crayons work great for coloring in the black lines on the smoke. It turns out the china markers are comparable and wipe off just a little bit better. I do like the way the ruler turned out, but I needed to seal the wood first as the ink really wants to bleed into the fiber. I had a lot of fun taking pictures, which is just another indicator that I can't wait for this game to get here.
    What did you end up using on the ruler to darken it? Also, did you just use a spray varnish/wood sealer? Thanks!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    What did you end up using on the ruler to darken it? Also, did you just use a spray varnish/wood sealer? Thanks!
    Hey Scott,

I used a spray matte finish product from Rustoleum. It works on wood, plastic, miniature ship models, etc. I didn't want to darken the wood so I used the clear finish. Then a fine tipped ink pen and black, brown and red inks from Privateer Press. I may add another coat of matte finish to seal in the ink and add some extra protection to the wood.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Hey Scott,

I used a spray matte finish product from Rustoleum. It works on wood, plastic, miniature ship models, etc. I didn't want to darken the wood so I used the clear finish. Then a fine tipped ink pen and black, brown and red inks from Privateer Press. I may add another coat of matte finish to seal in the ink and add some extra protection to the wood.

Jim
    I use that matt finish to seal my miniatures. For the water I then go back with a brush on semi-gloss coat (Liquitex). On the wood I might try Teak oil or Penetrol to darken it a bit. Penetrol will soak in and protect the wood without darkening it too much.

BTW - Once again your ships look great! Are those Langton bases mounted on a block of wood?

Eric

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

We placed the white side up after the guns fired. It provided a great visual as well as reminded us which ships completed combat. At the end of the turn, we flipped the counters over to the brown side, and placed them on the ship base, so the following turn, it was clear which guns could not fire, i.e. they were being loaded. At the end of that turn, we removed all the brown counters, indicating the guns were loaded and ready for the next turn. It worked great. All of the info was right on the table in front of us. It helped when plotting moves because you are looking at the table, and you don't have to remember when a given ship will be able to shoot; it is right there in front of you, clearly indicated. I doubt we will use the ammo chits on the game mats for anything other than to remind us what type of ammo we have loaded.

We will order more of these, definitely. We did not anticipate they would become actual playing aids.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    We placed the white side up after the guns fired. It provided a great visual as well as reminded us which ships completed combat. At the end of the turn, we flipped the counters over to the brown side, and placed them on the ship base, so the following turn, it was clear which guns could not fire, i.e. they were being loaded. At the end of that turn, we removed all the brown counters, indicating the guns were loaded and ready for the next turn. It worked great. All of the info was right on the table in front of us. It helped when plotting moves because you are looking at the table, and you don't have to remember when a given ship will be able to shoot; it is right there in front of you, clearly indicated. I doubt we will use the ammo chits on the game mats for anything other than to remind us what type of ammo we have loaded.

We will order more of these, definitely. We did not anticipate they would become actual playing aids.
    It's cool seeing how different groups work out how to use the accessories to their best advantage.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post

It's cool seeing how different groups work out how to use the accessories to their best advantage.