Thread: Tom Clancy Dead

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Tom Clancy Dead

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?...9-3f020dd44ac7

Show of hands for _Harpoon_ players, esp. folks who've played "The Hundred-Fathom Curve" more than once?

That scenario demonstrates why I under no circumstances should ever be placed in a situation where I might be able to start a shooting war -- I cannot count how many times I've managed to put myself such that I can claim "the Russian shot at me -- RETURN FIRE!". >:)

Played a lot of Harpoon, both the miniatures game and later computer series.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I got Mr. Clancy to autograph my paperback edition of Red Storm Rising at a WorldCon many years ago. Just a signature; no inscription, no talking, no pictures and no loitering. I don't think I've ever seen a photograph of him without sunglasses.

I didn't realize how young he was.

I read Fighter Wing, Marine & Supercarrier from Tom Clancy.

Sorry to hear that he's dead.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Rest in Peace, Tom Clancy. You brought excitement to many people by your writing.

His early writings were brilliant, later stuff that seemed to be written by a team of people but under his name really fell away in quality for me and I switched to other authors. Very young age to pass, sad day for many.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

R.I.P. Mr. Clancy.

You were a true friend of freedom.

I agree his early works were the best, especially during the Cold War. Nothing like reading "Red Storm Rising" while in a tank in the Fulda Gap!

Harpoon remains the only modern naval miniatures game I have ever played. I recall there was also a late 80s computer game based on the Hunt for Red October.

Eric

Larry Bond's 'Harpoon' is still the best set of modernal naval wargame rules in publication. I prefer playing Harpoon 3 or earlier, missile defense was overly complicated in Harpoon 4. By the way, Larry Bond co-authored Red Storm Rising with Tom Clancy. It was based on a WW-III naval campaign they were playing.