Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
Bruce, for a non-meteorologist, you definitely gave a thoughtful and informative answer.

Based on the component list in the rules, the probability of a change in wind direction seems higher than a change in wind strength. is this reasonable?

I think a discussion of wind effects when within a ruler of land masses would be interesting. It could affect gameplay, and require greater thought on the part of captains.

One possible captain ability could be recognizing changes in wind - I am thinking about something similar to ace abilities. When the first wind change marker is drawn, those players having said ability would be forewarned.

All of these questions and thoughts would fall under optional/house rules.

Based on the component list in the rules, the probability of a change in wind direction seems higher than a change in wind strength. is this reasonable?

The two often go together.

Which is more frequent would likely depend on the significance threshold you set for each.
Also wind changes are much more frequent as localized gusts that would return to the underlying (previous) pressure after a short period of time.

One possible captain ability could be recognizing changes in wind - I am thinking about something similar to ace abilities.

This is definitely an accurate potential skill differentiator!