Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

(I realize this will be considered Sacrilege, but: FFG's _X-Wing_ really scores over _WoG_ with its use of dice, and a single set of maneuvers rather than bespoke movement decks for every flippin' unit.)
I'm not so sure about this. I am just getting into x-wing and like it (as a subsitute for 40k as being more personalized taht WoG, but less cumbersome than 40k), but that is one problem I think it has. The templates are great for ease of use, but I find they do make the movements generic. I don't get much of a thrill opening a new ship as I know that whether it is an agile TIE Interceptor or a more methodical TIE Bomber, there isn't much variation.

Every ship will have the core moves (that block of 9-12 or so moves in the center). The only difference is the length of the K turn and where the green block is (starting at speed 1 or starting at speed 2). The color does add some variation, but as that doesn't actually affect movement (just the strategic use of it), it isn't a real variation.

Basically, there are only 12 basic moves and an opposite 6 for turning the other way. Every ship will have access to most of those. The main thing I miss is the ability to Side slip. Since the game is reactive (single move per turn) Side slips aren't much of a surprise when carried over turns.

To be clear, I am not dogging the game. I like it and am actually waiting for a shipment of more pieces today. Yay! However, I am not ready to call the templates better. They are easier, but they lack a lot of the subtlety and variation that drawing a line on a card can do. If ease of use was more important to me than variation and subtlety, I would be playing "snakes and ladders" instead.

As to dice, that conversation has been done plenty (as you know). In this case, I agree (though I normally favor the controlled odds of chits). The dice work very well with how their powers play out. IT is a great way to "buy into better odds."