His Majesty’s Ship Naiad off Boulogne, September 21; 1811.

SIR,
THIS Morning, at Seven o'Clock, that Part of the Enemy's Flotilla which was anchored to the Eastward of Boulogne, confiding of Seven Praams and Fifteen smaller Vessels, chiefly Brigs, weighed and stood out on the Larboard Tack, the Wind being S.W., apparently to renew the fame Kind of distant Cannonade which took place Yesterday. Different, however, from Yesterday, there was now a Weather Tide. The Naiad, therefore, weighed, and getting well to Windward, joined His Majesty's Brigs Rinaldo, Redpole, and Castilian, with the Viper Cutter, who had all zealously turned to Windward in the Course of the Night, to support the Naiad in the expected Conflict. We all lay to on the Larboard Tack, gradually drawing off Shore, in the Hope of imperceptibly inducing the Enemy also to withdraw farther from the Protection of his formidable Batteries.

To make known the Senior Officer's Intentions, no other Signals were deemed necessary, but to "prepare to attack the Enemy's Van," then standing out, led by Rear-Admiral Bafte, and "not to fire until quite close to the Enemy."

Accordingly the Moment the French Admiral
tacked in Shore, having reached his utmost Distance,
and was giving us his Broadsides, the King's small
Squadron bore up together with the utmost Rapidity,
and stood towards the Enemy under all the Sail each
could conveniently carry, receiving a Shower of Shot and Shells from the Flotilla and Batteries, without returning any, until within Pistol-Shot, when the Firing on both Sides His Majesty's Cruizers threw the Enemy into inextricable Confusion. The French Admiral's Praam was the principal Object of Attack by this Ship: But as that Officer in leading had of course tacked first, and thereby acquired fresh Way, and was now under much Sail, pushing with great Celerity for the Batteries, it became impossible to reach him without too greatly hazarding His Majesty's Ship. Having however succeeded in separating a Praam from him, which had handsomely attempted to succour his Chief, and which I had intended to consign to the particular Care of Captains Anderson and M'Donald, of the Rinaldo and Redpole, while the Castilian attacked others, it now appeared best preferably to employ this Ship in effectually securing her.

The Naiad accordingly ran her on board; Mr. Grant, the Master, lashed her alongside; the small Arms Men soon cleared her Decks, and the Boarders, Sword in Hand completed her Subjugation- Nevertheless, in justice to our brave Enemy, it must be observed, that his Resistance was most obstinate and gallant, nor did it cease until fairly overpowered by the overwhelming Force we so promptly applied. She is named La Ville de Lyons, was commanded by a Monf. Barbaud, who was severely wounded, and has on board a Monf. La Coupe, who as Commodore of a Division was entitled to a Broad Pendant. Like the other Praams (he has Twelve long Guns Twenty-four Pounders (French), but (he had only One Hundred and Twelve Men, Sixty of whom were Soldiers of the 72d Regiment of the Line. Between Thirty and Forty have been killed and wounded.
Meanwhile the Three Brigs completed the Defeat of the Enemy's Flotilla, but I lament to say that the immediate Proximity of the formidable Batteries whereunto we had now so nearly approached, prevented the Capture or Definition of more of their Ships or Vessels. But no Blame can attach to any one on this Account; for all the Commanders, Officers and Crews did bravely and skillfully perform their Duty. If I may be permitted to mention those who served more immediately under my own Eye, I must eagerly and fully testify to the Merits of, and zealous Support I received from Mr. Greenlaw, the First Lieutenant of this Ship, as well as from all the excellent Officers of every Description, brave Seamen and Royal Marines, whom I have the Pride and Pleasure of commanding.

I have the Honour herewith to inclose Reports of our Loss, which I rejoice to find so comparatively trivial, and that Lieutenant Charles Cobb of the Castilian is the only Officer who has fallen.

I have the Honour to be, &c.

P . CARTERET , Captain.
Thomas Foley, Esq; Rear-Admiral of the Red, &c. &c. &c.

From the London Gazette, 21 September to 24 September 1811: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/16524/pages/1862