Thread: USS Constitution 1/1200 Langton Build

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default USS Constitution 1/1200 Langton Build

With the recent posts covering the War of 1812 and the USS Constitution I thought it was about time I try constructing something other than Spanish ships. I wont post any narratives on this ship as that's been adequately covered elsewhere. Photos below.

By the way. Would it be preferred that I start putting photos in an album rather than starting new threads? I don't wish to annoy anyone with continual, "here's my latest build" threads.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 17:47.

You certainly don't annoy me Jim. Looking at yours and other's latest builds is about the only reason I pull up the Anchorage anymore. Your skill and comments should definitely be shared IMO. Do you have a Blogsite where you post your work. If you don't, I strongly urge you to start one. That way if you decide to stop posting your work here at least there will be somewhere those of us that are interested can check periodically to see what you are doing.

Regards,
    Vol

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    You certainly don't annoy me Jim. Looking at yours and other's latest builds is about the only reason I pull up the Anchorage anymore. Your skill and comments should definitely be shared IMO. Do you have a Blogsite where you post your work. If you don't, I strongly urge you to start one. That way if you decide to stop posting your work here at least there will be somewhere those of us that are interested can check periodically to see what you are doing.

Regards,
    Vol
    I second that. Keep the posts coming. I think if i tried this scale i would end up cross eyed. Amazing painting skills! Im still not sure how you do it.

Im sure i saw in someones thread that the USS Constitution set sail the other day? Its a shame The victory can't do the same, it would be pretty amazing to see a full ship of the line at sea.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Absolutely beautiful work Jim.

I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with your threads.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

I love looking at what others have been building! Also, I love the quarter in some of the photos! Having a good frame of reference for the scale makes it all the more impressive!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks all, for the positive feedback. Next up will either be British or French.

Regards,
    Vol
    Thank you, Vol. I've never thought about doing a blog, but perhaps I'll look into it. I certainly enjoy yours and the posts you put up on The Miniatures Page. Other bloggers here have excellent stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    I second that. Keep the posts coming. I think if i tried this scale i would end up cross eyed. Amazing painting skills! Im still not sure how you do it.

Im sure i saw in someones thread that the USS Constitution set sail the other day? Its a shame The victory can't do the same, it would be pretty amazing to see a full ship of the line at sea.
    Seeing the HMS Victory sailing would be awesome! I don't know much about the USS Constitution to be honest, outside of the fact that it's still an active duty ship and has had over 60 captains in her career! And she can still sail!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Would it be preferred that I start putting photos in an album rather than starting new threads?
    I would, but not for the reason you gave -- in my case: I would prefer you put pics in albums because putting them in threads means it takes 5-10 minutes for the thread to fully load, even on a broadband connection.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I would, but not for the reason you gave -- in my case: I would prefer you put pics in albums because putting them in threads means it takes 5-10 minutes for the thread to fully load, even on a broadband connection.
    That's certainly a good enough reason. Now I have to figure out how to start an album.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    Love the model. English rig I see. Do both, album and threads. Do not stop posting. You make me work harder and better. Please don't stop the pic's
    Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Personally I love the ship building threads here. The amazing skill I see in these threads impresses the heck out of me and is one of the reasons I kept coming back after the Kickstarter was over. The fact anyone can rig a ship that tiny without smashing it to bits boggles my mind.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Jim,
    Love the model. English rig I see. Do both, album and threads. Do not stop posting. You make me work harder and better. Please don't stop the pic's
    Be safe
    Rory
    Yup, English rig. Based on what Rod Langton told me that's the way to do it. Interesting to rig that way after several Spanish ships. I like it, actually.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Seeing the HMS Victory sailing would be awesome!
    It would indeed. Pity her masts go through the keel and into the dock bottom :)

happy with posts, happy with albums, happy with whatever works best for you as I'm just happy that you are posting photos of your excellent work here.

Lovely ship Jim, impressive rigging and basing too!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Jim your work is inspiring. Please do not stop your postings.

Jim, can I make a suggestion? Instead of wrapping the pennant around the mainmast, you can attach a thread to the tip of the mast and to the mast just above the upper yard. Then attach your pennant to the thread. Just another way to do it my friend. The way you did it is fine too.

Regards,
    Vol

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, can I make a suggestion? Instead of wrapping the pennant around the mainmast, you can attach a thread to the tip of the mast and to the mast just above the upper yard. Then attach your pennant to the thread. Just another way to do it my friend. The way you did it is fine too.

Regards,
    Vol
    Always feel free to make suggestions. I'll have to try that on the next build. I think I've seen depictions of that in paintings, if not other minis builds. Thanks for the idea!