Thread: SGN at Colours, Newbury

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default SGN at Colours, Newbury

So today the Naval Wargames Society ran "Sails of Glory" at Colours (one of the main wargaming events in the UK). The small but intrepid team of four stalwart naval types assembled at the show at 0800 this morning, set up and in very short order got straight into action. e played an initial game amongst ourselves to give the newbies a chance to get up to speed. Even this game, kicking off before the show started, attracted considerable attention from the gamers and traders present. the show opened officially at 1000 and the public appeared. We were kept busy right through the day, playing through six games, all of which were hard fought and very enjoyable actions, and in fact we were the last game still playing on the day (we say Boney10's crew sloping off whilst our last action was still in full swing )

The reaction to the game was amazing. Everyone who played it loved it. And it worked just fine for all ages. I think our youngest player was 10, but we had a visit from a 6 year old who was very well acquainted with pirates, Admiral Nelson and Trafalgar, and who grasped the style of play very easily - no prizes for guessing what is on his Christmas list this year! The table was often surrounded by observers If we'd had copies on sale on the day we could have cleared dozens based on the numbers of players and observers who were stuck by the quality of the models and the speed and ease of play. We had a few "old salt" naval gamers playing as well who thought the system was ideal for those quick "club night" games, and for small ship actions (we are already kicking off thoughts for period and other variants using the basic system). I also chatted to a couple of Kickstarter punters who were eagerly awaiting their goodies next month (fingers crossed), and a couple of chaps who had thought about the Kickstarter but who decided not to go for it - and who were now seriously regretting that decision.

Keith's wooden wind marker and ruler were also commented on with extreme praise!

So, all in all a very successful day. And with luck more demos and parti games upcoming at events in the next couple of months. The game was a big hit, highly popular and, if today's freaction was anything to go by, assured of great success in the near future!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the AAR. I'd just seen on the KS SoG comments section the mention of Colours and Hurricon, so I was hoping you or Rory might be there. Very happy to read the positive reaction from folks and I'm really getting anxious for the game to get in my hands.

Ares is promising an update next week (taken from their comments on KS), so I'm hoping it's good news?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Wonderful, David. Or should that have been, Wonderful David. Either way, thanks for sharing.

Any new advice on running demo games? Some of us have our first turns coming up, shortly.

I look forward to reporting from Rock-Con, and if I can secure a spot, Flatcon.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Dam, Dam and Dam again. I forgot that "Colours" was on this weekend. Life has been hell this last week or two. So it slipped my mind. :angry:
    A p##sed off
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Dam, Dam and Dam again. I forgot that "Colours" was on this weekend. Life has been hell this last week or two. So it slipped my mind. :angry:
    A p##sed off
    Rory
    Sorry, Rory. I almost posted a question about who was going to Colours. Maybe someone will have some photos?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hopefully, but not me I'm afraid :( My camera was appropriated by SWMBO to record my daughter riding in her school's showjumping competition yesterday. I did see some people taking photos so i maybe piccies will turn up on some of the general wargaming websites.

As far as advice on running an event like this is concerned, think some of s have posted things along these lines before, or maybe on the Aerodrome, but to recap I'd say:

1) Have a good team of players with you. It can get rather wearing running game after game after game so you need to be able to swap between umpires. It also allows those not directly running the game to hover around the players to help them out if they get stuck remembering the rules or wanting advice. It also lets the "spare bodies" dash off for a short while to see the rest of the show.

2) "Battlespace management" is more important with a sailing game than most others I think, due to the effects of the wind. The action will naturally flow downwind, so be aware of that and have your scenario starting points clustered towards the upwind part of the table. and think about how the terrain (if any) is going to help and hinder the game. We had an island that, if at the downwind end of the table, was a real pig to sail around due to its proximity to the corner**. So we swapped ends and it was now at the upwind end and much easier to negotiate.

3) If you are playing with the four starter set ships, impress upon whoever gets the frigates that they ARE highly vulnerable to incoming fire from the SOLs. We had two games where frigate players (despite this advice) went SOL hunting in frigates. Their games were short. But tell them anyway, some of them might listen.

4) Practice. Set the game up some time before the event and play it through with friends o make sure your scenario works. I didn't get a chance to do this on this occasion as the kit arrived just the day before, if I'd had the chance the issue with the island would have been spotted before game #1 rather than during it :)

5) Have an on duty "caller" - a floating person who spots interested people (or even vaguely disinterested ones) in the crowd and passers by and hooks them in for a chat and to inveigle them into the game. You need to have a separate person doing this, not the umpire (they are busy keeping the game going)

6) Remember, keep clutter to a minimum. Nothing looks worse than a table strewn with drinks, lunch, random stuff that someone has bought and dumped on the table edge, odd papers etc. A tidy game is an efficient game :)

7) Bring glue - although not required on this occasion I always have some superglue and/or plastic cement (as demanded by the models) on hand to conduct running repairs during a game. Especially relevant in this as you only have four ships to work with and, had one been damaged and out of action, that would have seriously compromised the game.

8) Prepare yourself as well as the game. I take a sports water bottle to shows so can have a crafty drink to keep me going through games - all that talking through rules and the game with players causes havoc with your throat.

9) Practice your rules summary - you need to get the key concepts of play explained to and understood by your players in 5 minutes or less. So work out in advance what you want to say and demonstrate.

10) Above all, have fun! Although you are Ares unofficial PR department on the day remember its a hobby, not a job. and if you aren't having fun, chances are your team and your players aren't either.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you David. You have shared advice in the past. It's good getting SoG-based tips along with general tips.

Do you suggest passing out any rule summary cards for SoG, or only do a verbal summary in the beginning?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Good question. I hadn't thought of summary cards but that could be a good thing to do. Or maybe a summary with illustrations printed and posted on a large sheet or board that sat at the upwind end of the table.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I will work something up in terms of cards/visuals this week and post it for feedback. Thanks again.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Excellent,I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. All being well my next event where I could use these is October 4-6th, an NWS campaign weekend in the West Country, based on the Crimean War in the Baltic. Thoughts on adapting SGN to this period already well in hand :)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Please share your adaptation as well, if you don't mind.

Great AAR and good advices for running a SoG game and attract new gamers.

Especially the points with the setup/wind direction and the Frigate/Sol balancing are important.

The Aerodrome stuff is something I'll order for shure as soon as my core game arrives.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Really good advice, some of your points are just as valid for players as well as the GM's. I only attend one or two conventions a year, but it's amazing to see how many attendees come unprepared. Thanks for this!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I've been running demo and parti games at shows on and off for 20 years or so. Learnt a lot of those lessons the hard way, still forget them myself occasionally :)

It looks like I am up next at Hurricon in Orlando, Florida at the end of the month.

Thanks for tips list, very true every one of them.

I would add one more thing, be flexible and ready to adapt.

I hope to have the same success you experienced.

I would love to see any pix if you get them.

Eric, excellent idea about training aides, I too will be very interested in what you come up with.
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 09-16-2013 at 07:57.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Please share your adaptation as well, if you don't mind.
    Will do :)