Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPORTS/ACTIVITIES OTHER THAN GAMING

Default SPORTS/ACTIVITIES OTHER THAN GAMING

I'll start with some of mine.

1. Cowboy fast draw
    2. Pool (APA)
    3. Archery (target)
    4. Poker (even though some would call this gaming)
    5. Not to mention

This thing is way fun to drive:

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    No doubt, and I'll bet people get out of your way when you are driving? I could use one of those on the local streets. Nice pic btw.

Being 100% Polish, I WANT ONE.
    Was this picture taken in the States, or the Old Country?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That would be very nice on the Southside, though the tires still would be stolen if parked on the street overnight.

As for other activities:
    1. Food - preparing and consuming - note initials
    2. Pool - especially 14.1
    3. Pipes - Bjarne, Peterson, Vauen, Chacom, Stanwell, Nørding, et al.
    4. Port and wine

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That would be very nice on the Southside, though the tires still would be stolen if parked on the street overnight.
    That's when you take this:

After 1a.m. it would probably get StuG-jacked.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well no-one will argue with you in a car park if you are driving that, Andy. :)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    After 1a.m. it would probably get StuG-jacked.
    Spoken like a true Chicagoan.

Very cool pictures, Andy. Nice to see Texas arming herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Well no-one will argue with you in a car park if you are driving that, Andy. :)
    No doubt you've never been in the South side of Chicago after dark, Dave.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL...

I too am a shooter... though I prefer the M1911A1 and, on the rare occasions when I'm in another state where they're still legal, the Thompson. Trust me, cutting loose with a Chicago Typewriter and emptying a full drum magazine is an experience EVERYONE should get the chance to have once... (note I didn't say "should have", just "should have the chance" in deference to Rock & Roll, Roaring '20s Style not being everyone's thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    LOL...

I too am a shooter... though I prefer the M1911A1 and, on the rare occasions when I'm in another state where they're still legal, the Thompson. Trust me, cutting loose with a Chicago Typewriter and emptying a full drum magazine is an experience EVERYONE should get the chance to have once... (note I didn't say "should have", just "should have the chance" in deference to Rock & Roll, Roaring '20s Style not being everyone's thing.)
    Great choice of the 1911. I have never had a pistol that feels better in my hand than the 1911. I've had a Combat Commander for years that is my favorite personal pistol. You're right about the Thompson. I've never shot anything else like it. At 50 yards no 9mm sub gun will have a target rocking like it does.
    Last edited by Coog; 09-18-2013 at 16:21.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

In my case, my particular 1911's my old duty sidearm from my Executive Protection days in college... all I have to remember a young lady I once loved enough to offer to trade my life for hers by.

I also have a 1911 (Gold Cup). But for real fun try www.cowboyfastdraw.com . We're having the Fastest Gun Alive World Championship Oct 3rd-6th in Fallon, Nevada using .45 Single Actions. As long as I don't come in the bottom 10% I'll be a happy camper.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

As for other activities:
    1. Food - preparing and consuming - note initials
    2. Pool - especially 14.1
    3. Pipes - Bjarne, Peterson, Vauen, Chacom, Stanwell, Nørding, et al.
    4. Port and wine
    I'm with you Eric, a good Port, Mediera or Sherry at night always helps.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Well I've said before that I home brew. Just bottled a Saison and I'm waiting for it to carbonate,I should be able to tap it this weekend. Bottling an oatmeal stout this weekend for my brother-in-law.

I Frolf, Disc golf, Frisbee golf or however you want to say it.

wood carving/wood working take up my winters.

I follow Scottish Football, soccer if you prefer, specifically Hibernian FC. It's been a few difficult years of late.

Cubs, Steelers, Saints, Arizona State and Montana State round out my sports interests.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren
    I follow Scottish Football
    Correct quote.

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren
    soccer if you prefer
    No No No....

Observe the following,

I rest my case your Honor...

Name:  football-vs-handegg.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  110.3 KB

And yes the poor old Hibees (pronounced /ˈhaɪbiːz/ HY-beez) but pretty much all of Scottish football is in a bad place just now. Apart from maybe the two Highland clubs, being relative new comers to the top tier.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Gaz, that's funny.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

I'm a shooter also.

Well, I tried to embed a video of me firing a Charleville Musket, but can't get it to work... Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Great choice of the 1911. I have never had a pistol that feels better in my hand than the 1911. I have a Combat Commander for years that is my favorite personal pistol. You're right about the Thompson. I've never shot anything else like it. At 50 yards no 9mm sub gun will have a target rocking like it does.
    I had a lot of fun with an M3 "Grease Gun" in my Army days. No drum mag but still a .45

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Auto racing -- unfortunately, I only get to watch; even a series like ChumpCar is beyond my finances. Not to mention my myriad physical defects (lousy eyesight; worse muscles; a joint structure left on the horse-trails of Southern CA).

Pro wrestling -- not for what it purports to be, but for what it is (one can fake a punch; one can fake a kick; one *cannot* fake a 15' drop onto a 1/2"-thick foam pad lying on concrete...).

Other than that, I don't get to do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    joint structure left on the horse-trails of Southern CA)
    Where did you ride in SoCal?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    Correct quote.

No No No....

Observe the following,

I rest my case your Honor...

Name:  football-vs-handegg.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  110.3 KB

And yes the poor old Hibees (pronounced /ˈhaɪbiːz/ HY-beez) but pretty much all of Scottish football is in a bad place just now. Apart from maybe the two Highland clubs, being relative new comers to the top tier.
    Gaz, I agree that Scottish Football is not in a good place. I've been following it for about ten years and I wish Hibs could get back to the level they were at during the Tony Mobry or John Collins days.

As for the hand egg?! I resemble that remark. I spent my entire youth carrying one of things everywhere I went.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Auto racing -- unfortunately, I only get to watch; even a series like ChumpCar is beyond my finances. Not to mention my myriad physical defects (lousy eyesight; worse muscles; a joint structure left on the horse-trails of Southern CA).

Pro wrestling -- not for what it purports to be, but for what it is (one can fake a punch; one can fake a kick; one *cannot* fake a 15' drop onto a 1/2"-thick foam pad lying on concrete...).

Other than that, I don't get to do much of anything.
    Some auto races are not that expensive and are a whole different experience in person than on TV. The ALMS and Touring car series are generally less expensive. I don't know what's close to you in Oregon, but Laguna Seca would be a cool track to watch a race. There's lots of Rallying in the northwest, which is generally free if you like to watch Subaru's sliding around on dirt! My parents live near Lime Rock in CT - you sit on the hillside and bring coolers and lawn chairs. The Baltimore Indycar race was fun as well - I think a GA ticket was $30. On the other hand I was fortunate to be in Europe last month and went to see the Belgian Gran Prix at Spa which was awesome, but even GA tickets are $$$.

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Model Railroading in N Scale. The Youtube video below is one I made on my home layout using the new Hiawatha train set from Fox Valley. This was my first movie making venture using a Flip Camera so I apologize for the poor focus, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQKUO_BcnE

Collecting old piano rolls (to be used on my 1950s player piano). Don't feel compelled to watch the entire video. I wanted to start saving these tunes on YouTube because the paper they were made on is rapidly deteriorating due to high acidity in turn of the century paper making. Eventually a digital recording is all that might endure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5eo0huhVk

Latest distraction/hobby is learning how to play the hammered dulcimer. This video is NOT me, but it's a song I intend on learning to play, for the title if nothing else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJhyDxsqvao

There you have it.

Listening to Crazy Otto brought moisture to my eyes. Made me remember my departed mother playing it in the early 50's back in Chicago.
    Can't thank you enough for the trip Jim.

Almost forgot to mention what a professional job you did with the model railroading flick.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Listening to Crazy Otto brought moisture to my eyes. Made me remember my departed mother playing it in the early 50's back in Chicago.
    Can't thank you enough for the trip Jim.
    You're most welcome, Ed. The player piano was actually my Aunt's and was a huge focus during holidays and family events. When she passed she left the piano and well over 200 piano rolls to me. I don't use it as much as I should, but it always brings good memories of growing up in the 1960s and 70s. She lived in South Beloit, IL btw. My Uncle and Aunt owned a grocery store there.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great videos, Jim.

You guys really make me question what, if any, talents I have. Maybe next time I am at an Italian or Persian restaurant I will take a video of me eating.

Your a great guy Eric but, I'll pass on that video.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Great videos, Jim.

You guys really make me question what, if any, talents I have. Maybe next time I am at an Italian or Persian restaurant I will take a video of me eating.
    I too, will pass on that offer, Eric. I know you appreciate fine food and drink (and would never waste it), but videos of people eating invariably makes me think of Monty Python and Mr. Creosote.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Some auto races are not that expensive and are a whole different experience in person than on TV. The ALMS and Touring car series are generally less expensive.
    Well, ALMS is biting the dust after this season -- it got bought out by Grand-Am, and is becoming part of United SportsCar Racing. That said: It's *far* more expensive to race in, which is part of why it died out (never enough teams to fill the field).

I don't know what's close to you in Oregon,
    *There* is the cruncher -- the only national-touring auto-racing series which comes to Oregon is World of Outlaws, and that event is down in Lebanon (a couple hours on a good day). It doesn't help the idiots running Portland Int'l have this remarkable talent for always picking the wrong side of any auto-racing "civil war" (they picked CART over IRL, and ALMS over Grand-Am; and have flat-out ignored NASCAR).

It's a sad comment on racing in Oregon that of the Rose Cup Race weekend races, the only races with more than 5 cars in a single class are the Spec Racer Fords and the Spec Miatas; couple those to the ICSCC's only decent car-counts coming in PRO3 (spec BMW E30), and do you start seeing a Recurring Theme here, folks? :P

There's lots of Rallying in the northwest, which is generally free if you like to watch Subaru's sliding around on dirt!
    I've tried watching rally, but it doesn't really thrill me -- I like to see more than one car at a time. See above -- the middle of the starting grid for Spec Miata races is called "the kill box": There Is A Reason For This.

My parents live near Lime Rock in CT - you sit on the hillside and bring coolers and lawn chairs.
    Lime Rock has its charms, but that "no racing on Sundays" thing is annoying (esp. when a series is trying to run there over Memorial Day weekend -- teams have to pay for an extra hotel night because races have to be run Friday-Saturday-Monday).

The Baltimore Indycar race was fun as well - I think a GA ticket was $30. On the other hand I was fortunate to be in Europe last month and went to see the Belgian Gran Prix at Spa which was awesome, but even GA tickets are $$$.
    I saw what happened at Baltimore this year -- that "track" is, to be blunt, an embarrassment: Too narrow, too bumpy, and what bloody fool decided to run it across railroad tracks? I suspect that circuit is not long for this world.

Where did you ride in SoCal?
    Without giving away too much: One of them went past the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. :)

I have some friends that have loads of fun with this cheap auto racing:
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Gaz, I agree that Scottish Football is not in a good place. I've been following it for about ten years and I wish Hibs could get back to the level they were at during the Tony Mobry or John Collins days.

As for the hand egg?! I resemble that remark. I spent my entire youth carrying one of things everywhere I went.

Don't know what all you guys have been taking but this is REAL football

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

I always thought that it was a riot with a leather egg....

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Model Railroading in N Scale. The Youtube video below is one I made on my home layout using the new Hiawatha train set from Fox Valley. This was my first movie making venture using a Flip Camera so I apologize for the poor focus, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQKUO_BcnE

Collecting old piano rolls (to be used on my 1950s player piano). Don't feel compelled to watch the entire video. I wanted to start saving these tunes on YouTube because the paper they were made on is rapidly deteriorating due to high acidity in turn of the century paper making. Eventually a digital recording is all that might endure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5eo0huhVk

Latest distraction/hobby is learning how to play the hammered dulcimer. This video is NOT me, but it's a song I intend on learning to play, for the title if nothing else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJhyDxsqvao

There you have it.
    Jim, you are a man of many interests and talents.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have some friends that have loads of fun with this cheap auto racing:
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
    Which team?

I have to confess, tho': I am a supporter of The Other Side -- http://chumpcar.com/ . ;)

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

My other big hobby? Off roading. Here is a full thread of it!

Well Keith, you really know how to enjoy life.
    The main reason I started this thread was to make sure people knew that it's better to be outdoors than just playing games or sitting behind a computer. Makes for a healthier and more rounded person.

BTW, your blessed with a good looking family.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

I have an auto sport hobby also...

Earlier this year, I pulled the engine and installed a new short block and totally rebuilt the transmission.

Name:  IMG_2471a.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  109.6 KBName:  IMG_9928.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  5.96 MBName:  IMG_9987.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  6.12 MB

Nice garage shop you have there.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Nice garage shop you have there.
    Thanks! Pretty much a requirement if you're going to own a 30 year old Fiat.

As I got older I let thye factory do the work.

Name:  1 073.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  1,007.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Ship Dave View Post
    Thanks! Pretty much a requirement if you're going to own a 30 year old Fiat.
    My brother used to have two. One to drive and the other for parts.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

My brother used to have two. One to drive and the other for parts.

I've been there too. When I was in college, I drove a '74 and had a '72 parts car that I kept at my brother's house out in the country. The current car is an '83, and with the work I did in May, it's pretty solid now. The interior needs a little work. I'll get around to it eventually.
    Last edited by Wear Ship Dave; 09-16-2013 at 20:26.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Well Keith, you really know how to enjoy life.
    The main reason I started this thread was to make sure people knew that it's better to be outdoors than just playing games or sitting behind a computer. Makes for a healthier and more rounded person.

BTW, your blessed with a good looking family.
    Thanks. I've lived in Colorado for about 13 years now (well was not here for 2 of those, was in Trashcanistan) and very rarely went out into the mountains. This year I just got sick of not taking advantage of where I live and did something about it. At first we were going to take up hiking, but the little guy would have limited that too much in these early years. So when the wife started talking about replacing her big SUV with a Jeep, I jumped on it and have been out almost every weekend since.

Back before I got married, I was into cars and photography.

This was my hot rod...

And some of my photography...

I'm still rebuilding the gallery of all my old photography work, but you can check more out here if you are so inclined.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Ship Dave View Post
    I have an auto sport hobby also...

Name:  IMG_2471a.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  109.6 KB
    As I got older I let thye factory do the work.

Name:  1 073.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  1,007.1 KB
    Nice rides guys. I grow up with old cars a well, so I have a fondness for anything on wheels. As a kid, my stepfather raced a Porsche 356, had an MG Midget that he was going to rebuild (never got around to it), rebuilt an '46 Ford Sedan Delivery and was working on a '43 coupe for my mom. We also had a Porsche 924 that I drooled over all the time. lol I learned to drive on my dad's '64 Impala SS and many years later my step dad picked up a real Mini Cooper. That one goes to me once he is no longer around.

Between the VR-4 above and the Jeep now, I had a Saturn Sky Redline...

Name:  2008_saturn_sky_red_line-pic-44932.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  109.8 KB

Yep, motor oil runs through my veins.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Arrrgh, it be lacrosse fer me mateys. Fall Ball starts next Monday, arrrgh!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

In no particular order: Cooking, Rugby (I played second row/lock for many years, but it's been a while now), watching the Saints when I can, and starting to get into baseball a bit (go A's!). World Cup Soccer when it happens. Poker, good beer, good wine. Notre Dame Football (Dad is an alum and now adjunct professor there). Reading, writing, camping (son is in Cub Scouts), and napping on the couch. I rarely get to enjoy that last one with wife, three kids and two dachsunds in the house.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I have no affiliation with River Junction Trading, beyond purchasing items from them when I did fur trade reenacting years ago (and now some Steampunk stuff). That being said I'm still on their mailing list and they're pushing a big gun sale because the owner wants to buy another collection. Here's the link for the gun collectors and shooters, etc. There's a lot more sports/activities on their main page as well.

http://www.riverjunction.com/Antiques.html

Please remove this post if I'm violating any forum rules?

Cheers!