Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Most excellent! It sure gives one a better sense of scale to see the crew on board (more like ants on deck in that last photo).

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Sorry Chris,
    I think you need more crew.
    Looking good Chris
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Sorry Chris,
    I think you need more crew.
    Looking good Chris
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hmmm

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh! Chris,
    You are a hard man and no fun. By the way! if you don't want more crew (I think your wrong), How about the ships cat????????
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh! Chris,
    You are a hard man and no fun. By the way! if you don't want more crew (I think your wrong), How about the ships cat????????
    Be safe
    Rory
    :-) unfortunately i think you may be right about the crew. I had better order some more. as for the ships cat, do you mean (a) or (b)

(a)Name:  bb.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  185.3 KB

(b)Name:  Cat o nine tails.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  64.8 KB

Im going with (a) :g&t:

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris
    I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew )
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

A) is probably better. Helps keep the rats and/or mice under control as well. I like Rory's suggestion on the boats.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew )
    Be safe
    Rory
    I think ill take your suggestion with putting the boats on the skid beams, it will cover the lack of some crew in the waist and ive done it on my other two models and it looks good. I have also taken your advice and added another 40+ crew. You were right, the decks now look far more alive, good call

This is also my 100th post, so i say goodbye to my old rank of able seaman and join the midshipman's berth. Its a long way to go before i'll be wetting my swab, but im on the way.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  211.2 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  235.7 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  212.6 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    Yes, yes and yes! She is looking SO GOOD. I thank you listening to me. I know I have made more work for you sorry, but now she is looking like a working ship. I have been looking into lowering ships boat from the waist (skid beams) with Vol for 1-1200 scale ships It can be done. I now understand the work for the crew to do this job. If as at Trafalgar then yes! The boats go, they had hours in which to do this very long task. Add lines to the standing rigging and yardarms of the fore and main course, unship the boats, add lines to the ships boats (one at a time) X 2 or more then put it all back as before. The ship must also be stopped or going very slow to de all this work. So I would say more likely to have them on-board.
    Be safe
    Rory

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The crew effect looks excellent. Rory is right - a definite working ship.

There couldn't be a naval museum on the planet that wouldn't want to display your ship.

Wonderful Chris, simply wonderful!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck.
    Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t:

Hats off to Rory You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t:

Hats off to Rory You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now?

Had my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once) many years ago. By all means take it easy until they're mending well. Last thing you need with them is infection or dry sockets.

Looking forward very must to seeing the masts and rigging work.

Take care.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I'm having a tooth out on Monday 4th Nov. I will not be using my own stuff to do it. I don't wish to see, hear or know about it. I'm feeling sorry for myself already, and 2 weeks to go.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

In the spirit of Trafalgar Day.

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
    To add something more to this wonderful year;
    To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
    For who are so free as the sons of the waves?
    Chorus:
    Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
    We always are ready; steady, boys, steady!
    We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.
    We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
    They never see us but they wish us away;
    If they run, why we follow, and run them ashore,
    For if they won't fight us, what can we do more?
    (Chorus)
    They say they'll invade us these terrible foe,
    They frighten our women, our children, our beaus,
    But if should their flat bottoms, in darkness set oar,
    Still Britons they'll find to receive them on shore.
    (Chorus)
    We still make them feel and we still make them flee,
    And drub them ashore as we drub them at sea,
    Then cheer up me lads with one heart let us sing,
    Our soldiers and sailors, our statesmen and king.
    (Chorus X2)
    Alternative last verse:
    Britannia triumphant her ships rule the seas,
    Her watch word is justice her password is free,
    So come cheer up my lad, with one heart let us sing,
    Our soldiers, our sailors, our statesmen, our king[queen].
    Alternate first verse:
    Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
    With heads carried high, we will banish all fear;
    To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
    For who are so free as the sons of the waves?

Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now?
    Ed will always buy the first two rounds. Anytime you feel the need to dry the salt water out of your lungs, steer to the Arizona desert. The only salt out here is on the lip of a Margareta.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Ed will always buy the first two rounds. Anytime you feel the need to dry the salt water out of your lungs, steer to the Arizona desert. The only salt out here is on the lip of a Margareta.
    On the rocks, no salt, please. I like margaritas a great deal.

btw, you've added something to your avatar? Or, did I just miss this before?

I added a 17th century Polish naval War Jack.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I added a 17th century Polish naval War Jack.
    Very cool. Thanks for the info.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here is the latest on my build of the Victory. I haven't done any updates for a while, as i ended up taking a week off work after having my wisdom teeth removed. My god, i had no idea how painful it can be afterwards, especially when you get dry socket. Anyway enough said about that.

I have now attached the shrouds, which i had some problems with, being that i had placed the chainplates too far aft earlier in the build, especially on the mizzen mast. They work though and don't look too bad. I think, once they have people on them and the sails are bent on with the rigging, this mistake won't be that noticeable. I have also began to shape and paint the sails.

In a move that I'm sure Rory will approve i have spoken with Rod Langton and ordered many more top men to line the spars and shrouds to help keep that working ship feel.

Unrelated to this build I've also ordered some small islands and a few 1:1200 martello towers to add as scenery for when sails of glory arrives. I will post pictures of these once they are painted.

Name:  IMG_7431.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  246.9 KBName:  IMG_7419.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_7427.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  181.1 KB

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    Yes! I do like the idea of more crew. I'm making you spend more money and more work. A part of me is sorry, but a part of me thinks I'm right. By the way I think your ship looks great.
    I too have a small and large island from Rod. I am going to order one more small island. I have not done them yet, but saw one this year at Gosport. It was a part of a WW2 game. It looked so good. I asked if I could have a closer look. I fell in love with it before being told it was one of Langton's. Vol thinks my shore-lines I have made look O.K., so asked me why buy his? Mine are O.K. but his are, just so! and the weight of them is good. My handmade shore-lines are light. But the shape and size lets them lock into my harbour, which is heavy. If I made islands they would be too light and move around the table. Langton's are best and I'm so looking forward to doing them.
    I wish you good modelling.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Chris, your work on the Victory is a joy to look at. Thanks for posting the latest photos. The ship, crew and rigging are really coming together nicely!!

Sorry to hear you had a lot of pain with the wisdom teeth. I think that's why they always prefer doing all four at once. Folks would never come back after the pain of having just one removed.

Love all the crew figures. Makes it more of a diorama than a model.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

She's looking lovely, Chris, and the sails look great. I agree with Rory; having more crew, especially above the deck working the sails, will look great.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    Yes! I do like the idea of more crew. I'm making you spend more money and more work. A part of me is sorry, but a part of me thinks I'm right. By the way I think your ship looks great.
    I too have a small and large island from Rod. I am going to order one more small island. I have not done them yet, but saw one this year at Gosport. It was a part of a WW2 game. It looked so good. I asked if I could have a closer look. I fell in love with it before being told it was one of Langton's. Vol thinks my shore-lines I have made look O.K., so asked me why buy his? Mine are O.K. but his are, just so! and the weight of them is good. My handmade shore-lines are light. But the shape and size lets them lock into my harbour, which is heavy. If I made islands they would be too light and move around the table. Langton's are best and I'm so looking forward to doing them.
    I wish you good modelling.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Love all the crew figures. Makes it more of a diorama than a model.

Its been a while since my last post, I've been working each evening, and haven't had any chances to post my updates. Still i can't complain as i do get paid for it and allows me to keep buying these ships etc.
    Having finally painted the 60 topmen, I've now began gluing and lashing the yards and sails to the masts.

I do agree that this is turning into a diorama, I think having so many crew helps to distract from some of my many mistakes I've made along the way, which can never be a bad thing.

As for the islands and martello towers, they all arrived from Langton last week. They look really nice and i agree with Rory that the wait will stop them moving about in the game., but I'm going to finish the victory before i embark on painting those. Hopefully should have them painted and ready just before all my ships arrive.

Name:  IMG_7434.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  223.1 KBName:  IMG_7472.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  184.1 KBName:  IMG_7481.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  250.0 KBName:  IMG_7489.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  233.2 KB

I am so in awe of your ship. I hope it stays in your family for generation to come.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am so in awe of your ship. I hope it stays in your family for generation to come.
    Cheers Ed, though i think it more likely that when my wife and i have moved on as it were, my son may well say, "what shall we do with dads ships, Skip (dumpster)?"

Cheers Ed, though i think it more likely that when my wife and i have moved on as it were, my son may well say, "what shall we do with dads ships, Skip (dumpster)?"
    Tell them that the very least they could do, is send it to Ol' Davey in the Bristol Channel.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Brilliant work Chris. Very impressive.

Wow.

This model is incredible detailed.

Chris, your patience is amazing.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chris, you are an incredible modeler. You are bringing your ship to life. I can't get over the quality of your sails, water, crew, actually, the whole ensemble. Really well done.

+1 Very impressive! I used to paint those 6mm blokes, but alas my eyes can't take it anymore!

Can't wait to see the rig completed.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for all the comments guys. It feels good to finally be close to finishing. Now I'm just trying to decide how complicated to make the rigging. I'm undecided to bother with adding blocks (bits of telephone wire casing as to small for wooden blocks) or to save myself some trouble and keep it simple like the juno's rigging in the background. I think i may have already decided though. More work to go... Painting those 6mm blokes has hurt my eyes too. Thank goodness i have no more crew to add.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    Been away, then my computer crashed (computer doc took 5 hours to clean it up). The dentist should have taken my tooth out on Monday, took one look at it and said NO WAY! So back to him on the 19th for the big one OMG!
    I just love your ship and crew. I'm happy!!!!! I would stand 6 or more feet away from her and look. This will I think give you a better idea about the rigging. What would and can I see?
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

With sails of glory now possibly only a few more weeks away, It feels like a good time to be almost finished with the Victory. Soon i can start playing instead of modelling for a while, though i still expect i'll add some basic rigging with the SOG ships.

On the victory, I have now attached all of the sails and most of the standard rigging. I only have some of the backstays left to add on the standard rigging and most of the running rigging left to do. Once thats done then its just some small details such as stern lanterns and the davits to hang ships boats by the poop deck. It feels good to be so close to finishing this now, as it feels like I've been working on it for a long time, though i suspect i'll miss it rather quickly once it is complete, as its been a great lunchtime project for me.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  190.6 KB

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Beautiful model Chris. Outstanding.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Beautiful model Chris. Outstanding.
    Hear, hear.

You do truly admirable work.

Have you thought about a case or diorama for the ship yet?

Looks magnificent, standing rigging really adds to the impact

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the comments, 1:300 is a really nice scale to work with, and the langton kit is so detailed its great.

Have you thought about a case or diorama for the ship yet?
    I have, i haven't bothered with cases for the other two ships, but i want to for this one. Im having trouble finding one though, so may have to comision someone to make me one. I Think having a painting for the background is definitely the way to go. I have a couple in mind, that i think will really set the ship in context.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    She is beautiful. I wish you had some more photos, top down, stern, and side stern to show the rigging.Please!
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    She is beautiful. I wish you had some more photos, top down, stern, and side stern to show the rigging.Please!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Here are a few different angles for you, I'm afraid I only remembered as i was walking out the office door, so these were very hurried snaps in dark conditions and haven't come out too well. I promise i will take a whole array of angles with a proper camera, as soon as i finally finish. Annoyingly i have run out of black thread, with only two backstays left to do, so i have had to order some more. I have done over half the running rigging now and only have the remainder of that plus attaching the last two ships boats, a title bit of touching up here and there, then I'm done.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  205.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  206.1 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  211.7 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  209.2 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  167.9 KB

Thanks for the treat.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    Thanks, I love her and the crew. Your sails look so good I can see them moving. Can I ask Why is the running rigging going to the middle of the standing rigging and not to the next mast back? I'm not criticizing just asking.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the treat.
    Your welcome

Hi Chris,
    Thanks, I love her and the crew. Your sails look so good I can see them moving. Can I ask Why is the running rigging going to the middle of the standing rigging and not to the next mast back? I'm not criticizing just asking.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Many thanks for the compliments. :g&t: the main reason for doing the running rigging this way was that's how it's done in rod langton's rigging diagrams. I checked it out and it looks like rigging the running rigging through the standing rigging with blocks was used. Though looking at the victory current day the running rigging seems to go back to the previous mast. If you look at hms victory rigging diagrams you will see my method, though it looks much better with blocks, I couldn't find any small enough for this scale. Hence why it may look a little odd. Also the fall of the running rigging is not 100% correct! it's more where I can actually fit fingers or tweezers to tie it off as close as possible to where it's meant to be,

Unbelievable job! Definitely the best project on the site thus far!