Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Going to be a beautiful ship! Keep the picture posts coming when you can.

This is an absolutely gorgeous model Chris! It looks like you did some modification to the quarter deck? It is different than the earlier photos.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 09-12-2013 at 19:31.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It does look beautiful, Chris.

Congrats on your promotion.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Chris,
    Less drink, and more building. Your ship is looking so sweet, I can go of you my friend.
    Be safe
    Rory

Chris, don't post any more pictures of 1/300 ships. I will not get hung up on that scale, I will not, I won't, I won't?, I ???

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Chris,
    Less drink, and more building. Your ship is looking so sweet, I can go of you my friend.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Oh, i don't know, its good to wet the old swab from time to time. :g&t: Here are a few more pictures of the progress for you.

I have just installed the 32 pounders on the lower gun deck. Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls.

Special apologies to Gunner. You know you want to build one...

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1093
Size:  1.00 MBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1115
Size:  1.07 MBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  1.31 MBName:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 1119
Size:  1.16 MB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    This is an absolutely gorgeous model Chris! It looks like you did some modification to the quarter deck? It is different than the earlier photos.
    No modifications. I hadn't installed the quarter deck in some of the earlier photos. The Hull is made of resin and i guess isn't that great for loads of detail. As such all the fine details such as decking, railings etc are all done separately as white metal, bit by bit I'm beginning to add the details in.

I do find myself getting caught up in this and frequently over running on my breaks. Because its on my desk i keep finding myself distracted from my work, thinking what i am going to do next on the ship.

[QUOTE=Moideeb;17343] Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls. /QUOTE]

Needs a touch of brown to the bottom of the heads.
    Gorgeous work.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

[QUOTE=Gunner;17347]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls. /QUOTE]

Needs a touch of brown to the bottom of the heads.
    Gorgeous work.
    I'll have to paint that in once the crew boards

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I can see from these pictures how the black comes through a bit on the Ochre. I agree with you, it adds a nice touch or feel to the wood look.

Very exciting watching this take shape.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

You know, between this build and the completed ship in the background (Wasp or Juno?) I'm awfully tempted to try 1/300!?! But there's no room for another hobby extension?!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I can see from these pictures how the black comes through a bit on the Ochre. I agree with you, it adds a nice touch or feel to the wood look.

Very exciting watching this take shape.
    I think so. In an ideal world I would add weathering effects to the hull, but that goes beyond my painting skills. This way at least gives some relief to the colour.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think so. In an ideal world I would add weathering effects to the hull, but that goes beyond my painting skills. This way at least gives some relief to the colour.
    It really does. It has me thinking about how primer can be used for more than preparation for painting. Do you think the same effect would take place with pewter minis?

I received the Tumbling Dice minis this week. I will try my hand next weekend. It should be fun. They are awfully small, though.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    It really does. It has me thinking about how primer can be used for more than preparation for painting. Do you think the same effect would take place with pewter minis?

I received the Tumbling Dice minis this week. I will try my hand next weekend. It should be fun. They are awfully small, though.
    I would think so. If you use a black primer, then that's a great base cost to let show through where you want it. I look forward to seeing how they look.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    You know, between this build and the completed ship in the background (Wasp or Juno?) I'm awfully tempted to try 1/300!?! But there's no room for another hobby extension?!
    It's the Juno behind. I keep the wasp on a bookshelf at home (thought i might try this the correct way up now I'm back off the rum.)
    Name:  IMG_6429.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  1.07 MB

From having seen your USS Constitution, if you were to make a model of this scale, it would look pretty amazing!
    Last edited by Moideeb; 09-15-2013 at 01:30.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Is it the drink again, or just gone to see Daniel again. Good day, mate! Sorry! she is looking so good Chris.
    Be safe
    Rory

Thought I'd save you the trouble.

Name:  UD.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  515.7 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just beautiful!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Nice work Chris.

Hey Chris, is that little ship's boat with the sail part of the package from Langton?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hey Chris, is that little ship's boat with the sail part of the package from Langton?
    it is from Langton, but i got it separately. They threw it in for free for me when i bought the Victory. At the time i didn't realise how many boats the Victory came with, otherwise i probably wouldn't have asked for it. I likley won't keep this when the models done, but i like the sense of scale it brings while i'm still building the Victory.

Cheers for flipping the image for me Gunner. Its that dammed rum phone of mine again, flipping things when I'm not looking.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Wow! I have not checked on the site in a while, and blown away by the progress.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for all the complimentary comments. Not a dramatic change from my last post, but i have now installed all the Cannon, apart from the 4 quarter deck 12 pounders that will be installed later.

Name:  IMG_6443.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_6445.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  932.3 KBName:  IMG_6446.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  963.6 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looking very good. Question for you. What size brush did you use to detail the wave tops on the base? It looks quite good and I'd be curious to know if you used a larger brush or not?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

To Do the waves, i used an old knackered brush i forgot to clean properly once and it's bristles are now really stiff. I add tiny amounts of white paint at a time and just jab away at the wave tops using absolutely no skill! The crests of the waves naturally pick up the white, leaving the troughs blue. I think it works brilliantly, even if i feel like a 2 year old as I basically thump away at the base with a paint brush.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

To Do the waves, i used an old knackered brush i forgot to clean properly once and it's bristles are now really stiff. I add tiny amounts of white paint at a time and just jab away at the wave tops using absolutely no skill! The crests of the waves naturally pick up the white, leaving the troughs blue. I think it works brilliantly, even if i feel like a 2 year old as I basically thump away at the base with a paint brush.
    Thanks. I think I have a number of brushes like that, both large and small.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    A new avatar, I like.
    Be safe
    Rory

Your new avatar looks great.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim,
    A new avatar, I like.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Your new avatar looks great.
    Thank you, both. I figured it was time to move out of the sky and into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thank you, both. I figured it was time to move out of the sky and into the water.
    As long as you keep it above the water. Ol' Davey has enough company.

[QUOTE=Moideeb;17413]it is from Langton, but i got it separately. They threw it in for free for me when i bought the Victory. At the time i didn't realise how many boats the Victory came with, otherwise i probably wouldn't have asked for it. I likley won't keep this when the models done, but i like the sense of scale it brings while i'm still building the Victory.
    QUOTE]

Well Chris, if you truly don't want it I'm your man! Please, Please, Please!

Lord Chris! I could drown in your water. The ships reflection can even be seen in that overhead shot.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The water really is amazing. Your lack of using of skill is dumbfounding.

Your photos are sometimes a bit deceiving, making the model look larger than what it is. If my information and calculations are right, the model is only about 5 1/2 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. You're doing an incredible job with the small details on something of that size.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Lord Chris! I could drown in your water. The ships reflection can even be seen in that overhead shot.
    :-) I promise its shallower than it looks.

If you really want the jolly boat, once i'm done you can have it but i promise you its only about 5mm long and rather underwhelming. Its yours if you want it though.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Your photos are sometimes a bit deceiving, making the model look larger than what it is. If my information and calculations are right, the model is only about 5 1/2 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. You're doing an incredible job with the small details on something of that size.
    Your absolutley right, the pictures do make the ship look deceptively large. Here is a picture of the ship sailing through a sea of money to give it some sense of scale.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1067
Size:  1.30 MB

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Your absolutley right, the pictures do make the ship look deceptively large. Here is a picture of the ship sailing through a sea of money to give it some sense of scale.
    Thanks for the scale. The model looks like it is coming along nicely Chris. You'll be Admiral of the fleet one day.

Judging by the U.S. note which is a little over 6", the model looks a little over 10 inches from stem to stern.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Judging by the U.S. note which is a little over 6", the model looks a little over 10 inches from stem to stern.
    Ill measure it when I get to work tomorrow. 10 inches does sound about right though.

:-) I promise its shallower than it looks.

If you really want the jolly boat, once i'm done you can have it but i promise you its only about 5mm long and rather underwhelming. Its yours if you want it though.
    Didn't think you were serious Chris. No I was joking. The post from Avon to Washington would be way more than it would be worth. Thanks for the offer though. Just keep posting these wonderful build photos. You are really inspiring me with your Juno, Wasp, and Victory threads to move up in scale, at least from a modeling perspective. I'll stick with 1:1200 for gaming.

Regards,
    Vol

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Didn't think you were serious Chris. No I was joking. The post from Avon to Washington would be way more than it would be worth. Thanks for the offer though. Just keep posting these wonderful build photos. You are really inspiring me with your Juno, Wasp, and Victory threads to move up in scale, at least from a modeling perspective. I'll stick with 1:1200 for gaming.

Regards,
    Vol
    Hi Vol, I was pretty confident you were joking, but then i thought just in case you weren't, it was so tiny it would cost pence to post, by sea mail, Its already got a sail so if i were to set it in the sea, it could catch the trade winds and you could pick it up in Chesapeake Bay in 29 days or so if the tides and winds are fair.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I don't think my scale picture was as helpful as i thought it would be. A ruler would have been much more sensible. As such here is a picture with a ruler. After measuring i can confirm that the model is 9 inches long. Though once the bowsprit is fitted, it is likely to be a fair bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Thanks for the scale. The model looks like it is coming along nicely Chris. You'll be Admiral of the fleet one day.
    That does have rather a nice ring to it. "Admiral of the Fleet"! I shudder to think of building a whole fleet of these though. Perhaps Commodore might require a little less building. My 3 ships might then be enough.

Name:  IMG_6532 (1).jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  1.24 MB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chris, that bird's-eye view without the masts and sails nicely shows some details. She is looking lovely, and that water looks real.

Truly admirable. Keep up the great work.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I just love the one gun on the upper deck Do not encourage Vol with 1-300 scale, He is turning slowly from the true wargamers scale with your beautiful ship. STOP IT NOW!
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I just love the one gun on the upper deck Do not encourage Vol with 1-300 scale, He is turning slowly from the true wargamers scale with your beautiful ship. STOP IT NOW!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hi Rory,

That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in. Now i just leave it randomly around on the quarter deck. I don't think anyone will notice it missing once the ship is done. so now i have once extra cannon, just in case.

Vol, you really don't want to get one of these beautiful 1:300 ships, Rory is right.

Buy loads instead that would be awesome! imagine Trafalgar with 50 of these babies! Unfortunately all 50 ships would have to be the Victory, English French and Spanish as langdon only do this single SOL.

I don't think my scale picture was as helpful as i thought it would be. A ruler would have been much more sensible. As such here is a picture with a ruler. After measuring i can confirm that the model is 9 inches long. Though once the bowsprit is fitted, it is likely to be a fair bit longer.

That does have rather a nice ring to it. "Admiral of the Fleet"! I shudder to think of building a whole fleet of these though. Perhaps Commodore might require a little less building. My 3 ships might then be enough.

Name:  IMG_6532 (1).jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  1.24 MB
    I bit larger than I thought (the dimensions I came up with were on the net for the model in mm), but still an incredible job on detail.

Hi Rory,

That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in. Now i just leave it randomly around on the quarter deck. I don't think anyone will notice it missing once the ship is done. so now i have once extra cannon, just in case.
    The proverbial "loose cannon."

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Incoming

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I cannot imagine how large of an area would be needed to do Trafalgar in this scale. It would be impressive to see.

Chris, I appreciate your attitude about the cannon, and being unable to replace it. Looking at the work the modelers on this site produce can be intimidating for anyone just starting out. Seeing how all of you respond to mishaps is encouraging. We looking forward to the next round of pics.