Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Well i have probably rather rashly taken the plunge and bought the model kit of HMS Victory by Rob Langton. I have already made the 1:300 Juno and the Wasp, but i suspect this kit is going to be rather more complex with over 400 parts to paint and assemble and a 27 page instruction manual. The kit was delivered to my work today, I will post regular updates as the build progresses, but for now, here are the images of how the kit comes (with the frigate Juno for size comparison).

Name:  IMG_5596.jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  690.7 KBName:  IMG_5597.JPG
Views: 2126
Size:  827.0 KBName:  IMG_5598.JPG
Views: 2098
Size:  528.3 KBName:  IMG_5599.JPG
Views: 2098
Size:  612.2 KBName:  IMG_5600.JPG
Views: 2071
Size:  613.0 KBName:  IMG_5601.jpg
Views: 2060
Size:  564.1 KBName:  IMG_5602.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  401.3 KBName:  IMG_5603.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  507.9 KBName:  IMG_5604.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  474.1 KBName:  IMG_5605.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  274.6 KBName:  IMG_5607.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  487.5 KBName:  IMG_5608.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  441.0 KB
    Last edited by Moideeb; 10-01-2013 at 15:20.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congratulations! An impressive kit for sure. Please do keep us updated on your build. How many hours do you think it will take you to complete it?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thats a good question. HMS Juno took me about a month, but i mostly just work on these in my lunch breaks at work. I have a small baby, so don't get much time at home to build these. i do occasionally head into work early in the mornings to get a little more work done on the ships, which helps. Im guessing this is going to take a couple of months to complete, though i might be way off with this prediction.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Good luck with that Chris. It will be nice to follow your progress.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yes, Chris, please let us go along with you on this journey. Really looking forward to watching this.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Impressive even at this state. What are the dimensions of the base?

Waiting for you to buy the rest of the ships and the football field to do Trafalgar.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have cleaned off the excess flashing from the hull and drilled out the holes for the cannons etc. Also after spray priming the model, the details start to look much clearer and the model doesn't look like white chocolate anymore, which is good because it was making me hungry looking at it.

In response to Qfunk the model is 23cm long from stem to stern and the base is 36cm.

In response to Gunner, i totally agree. When i win the lottery i will totally do trafalgar with this scale and buy my own sports hall to convert into a giant naval wargaming hall for use with these models, with ocean design flooring. (will still keep a space for the odd game of the giant axis and allies i already have) I'll also hire someone to make them all these models for me, otherwise it might be a 20 year wait while i build them all.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1801
Size:  103.5 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  175.6 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1837
Size:  187.6 KB

Your off to a good start (really looks good). If I get hooked on 1/300 because of your posts, we're through talking.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Your off to a good start (really looks good). If I get hooked on 1/300 because of your posts, we're through talking.
    Ed, I was thinking the very same thing. Just one 1/300 would look so nice a glass display case.

Chris, I've never primed resin before. What kind of primer do you use?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Be warned its addictive! I only made the Sloop 'Wasp' for while i was waiting for sails of glory to be shipped, I then said that was it and promptly ordered the 'Juno' kit a week later. When i finished the 'Juno', i said no more. There was no way i would get the Victory. Two weeks later, here we are.

Please let them deliver sails of glory before i finish this model, i'm not sure i can afford this new found addiction.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Ed, I was thinking the very same thing. Just one 1/300 would look so nice a glass display case.

Chris, I've never primed resin before. What kind of primer do you use?
    Now you've mentioned that, i suddenly thought that i probably didn't need to prime the resin. Never mind. I primed the other two models hulls too and it didn't o any harm, so its all good. It does produce a nice surface for the paint to stick to, which probably still helps.

I simply use a Halfords grey primer, which is meant for cars, but seems to work well.

Name:  Priming-Halfords.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  62.1 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chris, what is it like building something at this scale compared to 1:1200? Is it easier? Harder? How would you compare the tradeoff between greater detail, therefore more complexity, and larger scale, therefore a bit easier in terms of seeing what you're painting and rigging, let alone the ability for your hands to do the work? I realize I am making assumptions here.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Chris, what is it like building something at this scale compared to 1:1200? Is it easier? Harder? How would you compare the tradeoff between greater detail, therefore more complexity, and larger scale, therefore a bit easier in terms of seeing what you're painting and rigging, let alone the ability for your hands to do the work? I realize I am making assumptions here.
    Me being Me, I typically dive into things without building up to them. Never been one to warm up before exorcise (exorcize for the Americans amongst us), never start small and work my way up to anything. With ships i predictably started off completely the wrong way round. The first ship i made was a much bigger wooden kit of the Victory, about 4 or so years ago now. It was much more complex than these, planking the hull alone was something of a nightmare. Everything had to be fashioned, wetted and bent into place. The rigging took me months to do and felt really complex, i needed a magnifier to do it, where i haven't used one once on my 1:300 scale ships. I also made a lot of mistakes on both the hull and rigging (see picture).

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1883
Size:  735.1 KB

By comparison, getting smaller has meant less details to worry about so it has felt easier to work on. When i made the larger Victory, I found that I needed to try and follow rigging advice properly, where on my 1:300 models ive made, i could begin to cheat a little and tie off rigging where it can't bee seen. I could glue Yards to masts, rather than properly suspending them and having the rigging all properly following down to the deck. Following on in this theme on 1:300 you have many details on the hulls, that are simply omitted on the 1:1200 hulls, and then crew etc as well. Having never made 1:1200 model though, it might well pass a critical point, where at that scale the opposite becomes true. Some of the 1:1200 models I've seen people make on this site are beyond anything i could do and if they tried their hands at 1:300 scale, I'm sure they would do a much better job, than I. Im sure there are many people here who are better qualified to answer this one and may well prove the opposite to be true, but thats my experience so far.

For those who want insane sizes, check out this scale of 1:4800 (not one of my pictures, just found on the web)

Name:  SANY0304-1.JPG
Views: 1918
Size:  562.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    I do 1-1200 scale. I would happily go smaller 1-2400 or 1-4800 scales. So its hats off to you for your 1-300 scale ships. I maybe would try ships boats in 15mm scale only. I look forward to seeing more of your modelling. Good luck.
    Be safe
    Rory

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Outstanding Chris

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks Chris. From my vantage point, your large ship looks beautiful.

I can't imagine painting something like the 1:4800 in anything other than crude strokes in which the basics are painted, but details aren't. I am sure there are some here with the ability to do these justice, but I would probably do better leaving them as is. Rory, if you ever do one of these super small ones, please post some pics.

Best wishes on the Victory, Chris.

Amazing how much difference just the primer made to showing the detail which is exceptional. I'll follow this thread with interest and try to game some more useful hints.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Amazing how much difference just the primer made to showing the detail which is exceptional. I'll follow this thread with interest and try to game some more useful hints.
    Yep, it's making it much easier to see where to paint. I'm really just muddling my way through, hopefully it will all work out well. Rather than painting the whole ship, as I've done before, I've spray painted the whole hill black now and will paint the ochre over the top. I'm hoping this will give a really nice finish. Will try and post a photo tomorrow.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Me being Me, I typically dive into things without building up to them. Never been one to warm up before exorcise (exorcize for the Americans amongst us), never start small and work my way up to anything. With ships i predictably started off completely the wrong way round. The first ship i made was a much bigger wooden kit of the Victory, about 4 or so years ago now. It was much more complex than these, planking the hull alone was something of a nightmare. Everything had to be fashioned, wetted and bent into place. The rigging took me months to do and felt really complex, i needed a magnifier to do it, where i haven't used one once on my 1:300 scale ships. I also made a lot of mistakes on both the hull and rigging (see picture).

Views: 1883
Size:  735.1 KB

By comparison, getting smaller has meant less details to worry about so it has felt easier to work on. When i made the larger Victory, I found that I needed to try and follow rigging advice properly, where on my 1:300 models ive made, i could begin to cheat a little and tie off rigging where it can't bee seen. I could glue Yards to masts, rather than properly suspending them and having the rigging all properly following down to the deck. Following on in this theme on 1:300 you have many details on the hulls, that are simply omitted on the 1:1200 hulls, and then crew etc as well. Having never made 1:1200 model though, it might well pass a critical point, where at that scale the opposite becomes true. Some of the 1:1200 models I've seen people make on this site are beyond anything i could do and if they tried their hands at 1:300 scale, I'm sure they would do a much better job, than I. Im sure there are many people here who are better qualified to answer this one and may well prove the opposite to be true, but thats my experience so far.

For those who want insane sizes, check out this scale of 1:4800 (not one of my pictures, just found on the web)

Name:  SANY0304-1.JPG
Views: 1918
Size:  562.2 KB
    I painted up 6 of these for use with GMT Serpents of the Seas. I wasnt going for great detail in the painting so it wasn't too difficult to paint them up. I posted a picture on the War Galley thread.

The 1:300 is looking good.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Cory, did you order those from England? I have some in the cart ready for purchase, but thought I would check to see if they can be ordered from a distributor here.

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Great looking kit

Cory, did you order those from England? I have some in the cart ready for purchase, but thought I would check to see if they can be ordered from a distributor here.
    Eric, have you tried http://waterloominis.com/oscommerce/...x.php?cPath=22 out of Mechanicsville, VA ?
    If he doesn't show it, ask him.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Ed,

I have not. I ordered the recent Langton 1:1200 74-gunner from Rob. Since then, he and I have corresponded a bit. He seems to be a wonderful guy. I will look at his website today. I would be very happy to give him more business.

Thanks.

Duplicate. Please ignore.
    Last edited by Gunner; 08-25-2013 at 16:06.

Hi Ed,

I have not. I ordered the recent Langton 1:1200 74-gunner from Rob. Since then, he and I have corresponded a bit. He seems to be a wonderful guy. I will look at his website today. I would be very happy to give him more business.

Thanks.
    I just received 10 sets of his ratlines and will save one the 1st rate to see if it will be a good match for the larger SoG 74. And to see if Langton's 64 or 74 will work with SoG's Frigates.
    And Waterloo miniatures did not charge me shipping for the ratlines.

Regards.

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1837
Size:  187.6 KB
    I'm curious, how this project ends, Chris.

Rob at Waterloo Minis can get them for you Eric.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Rob at Waterloo Minis can get them for you Eric.
    Thanks Vol. I just posted Rob an email about how to order these from him.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I just heard back from Rob. Unfortunately, he doesn't carry Tumbling Dice 1:4800, so it is off to England with an order.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Eric,

Sorry, my response from Saturday doesn't seem to have made it into the thread, but yes I had to order it from over seas. It was fast arriving, less than ten days.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

After Spray priming the hull, I have decided to spray the whole hull black, to give me a nice starting colour to work off. I have painted the Bow and the stern, but am still procrastinating on painting the sides of the ship, which i anticipate to be a little challenging on how to get the straight lines of ochre and black. If anyone has any useful tips for this, i would be obliged. I have also painted the sides of the gun ports in red.

Also shown is my cup of tea, for a scale comparison.

Views: 1711
Size:  203.8 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1743
Size:  273.0 KBName:  photo.JPG
Views: 1809
Size:  247.8 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very striking, thus far, Chris.

I take it that painting over black is not too difficult, that the black does not "bleed" through, if you will?

The cup of tea does give good perspective. The model is not nearly as tall as I thought otherwise.

Looking forward to upcoming posts on your progress.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Impressive! Are you sticking to one line of paints or a personally preferred collected set?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very striking, thus far, Chris.

I take it that painting over black is not too difficult, that the black does not "bleed" through, if you will?

The cup of tea does give good perspective. The model is not nearly as tall as I thought otherwise.

Looking forward to upcoming posts on your progress.
    The Ochre seems to cover the black well. It does show through a little, but, i kind of like the effect, as i think it gives a little relief to an otherwise flat colour.

In terms of paints used, i'm really just using a mish mash of paints, I've collected, I'm mixing acrylics and enamels. Not the the ideal, but it seems to work well enough for me. I've not had any major problems so far.

Here are a couple of updated images of how the hull is looking. This is still just the first piece, i have started to paint a few of the other parts, but have yet to glue together a single one of the over 400 additional parts yet. Hopefully this should look look pretty impressive when its done. In previous models like the Juno, i found that as i added more detail, it began to cover up areas where i have been a little sloppy with paining, I'm hoping the same will apply here.

Views: 1714
Size:  635.2 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1812
Size:  662.4 KB

All I can say is,.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Beautiful detail coming out of your work. It's really enjoyable to see the progress.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

A delight to check in on your progress Chris. Coming together beautifully.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Really great work, Chris. Thanks for the reply on painting. Sue has been painting minis all week - fantasy game pieces. I think when she sees this, a ship will be on her horizon.

As for the Tumbling Dice ships, I ordered directly from them. My order consisted of two squadron packs: 6 3-deckers, 30 2-deckers, 6 frigates, 4 each of sloops, brigs & cutters; an additional set of 3 frigates, and an additional set of 2 each of the smaller ships. I figure this way I can paint some different color schemes for different nations. If I ever decide to do something like Trafalgar, I will order more. Now I am wondering if I will start with these or the Langton 74-gunner. Since these are basically painting (I can't imagine rigging these), it might be the easiest way to reenter the world of modeling. It will be nice to play some naval mini games without the need for a lot of space.

Breathtaking! I may have to move up in scale.

Nice progress, Chris.

I'm off for a couple of days now, to go sailing on the tall ship tenacious. Will post a picture when I get back. I did manage to get time to paint the base (sea) for the victory today before I left, here is a picture of how it looks. I always like painting this bit because it doesn't take long and always feels like I've made loads of progress.
    Attachment 6552
    WATCH IT. Or the ship will fall off the base.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Chris,
    Are you going to see Daniel or is this a bad storm.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

:-) Ive left the ship behind for my trip. As I write this I am rather unexpectedly doing so from a Beth on the tenacious. I'm meant to board tomorrow, but after catching the train down here, I discovered I had booked my hotel for the wrong night. Also rather shockingly it turns out the whole of Southampton appears to be booked out.

After two hours of walking round the city, calling hotels and gone midnight. I was preparing to sleep rough for the night, but decided to try my last through of the dice and see if the tenacious had anybody onboard. i talked my way passed the security guard for the docks and made my way to her mooring. thankfully there were people onboard and the gave me a berth. As a result I have also been able to get this picture on my phone.

Not anything to do with the victory, so I apologise for the break from topic, but just thought I would share my surreal night.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  476.3 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Stunning work! Just as surprising it that there are crew aboard the Juno. Do you plan to do the same with Victory?

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Chris,
    Are you going to see Daniel or is this a bad storm.
    Be safe
    Rory
    No you're all upside down not me!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by QfunK! View Post
    Stunning work! Just as surprising it that there are crew aboard the Juno. Do you plan to do the same with Victory?
    Definitely, I think having crew brings the model alive. I have loads of crew for the victory, I'm am planing on having quite a few in the rigging and out on the yards, plus gun crews for every gun. That's one of the joys of working on this scale. That you can get little figures for the models.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    No you're all upside down not me!
    I finally understand this comment. I uploaded this from my iPhone and it shows the right way up. Maybe my iPhone was made in Australia, hence the upside down picture. How odd!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well haven't done an update for a while. I have been busy painting spars and masts and deck fixings ready for assembly. You can see here, the 12 pounders from the upper gun deck are installed, as are some of the gratings and ladders. I promise more images to come soon as the work progresses.
Views: 1715
Size:  1.53 MB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yay, im also not a landman anymore! Definitely happy to move on from that status. Perhaps with my newfound status as a ordinary seaman, i can work out which way up to post my images now