Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Hi Vol, I was pretty confident you were joking, but then i thought just in case you weren't, it was so tiny it would cost pence to post, by sea mail, Its already got a sail so if i were to set it in the sea, it could catch the trade winds and you could pick it up in Chesapeake Bay in 29 days or so if the tides and winds are fair.
    LOL just let me know when she sails and on day 30 I'll start the three day drive to meet her.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 09-20-2013 at 22:53.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Rory,

Vol, you really don't want to get one of these beautiful 1:300 ships, Rory is right.

Buy loads instead that would be awesome! imagine Trafalgar with 50 of these babies! Unfortunately all 50 ships would have to be the Victory, English French and Spanish as langdon only do this single SOL.
    Hi Chris,
    You do not understand. Stop it now. Vol's has a mountain of 1-1200 ships to do and he is to old to change. So start doing the Victory badly, Shop it looking so good. Or Barb will kill him. Think of the wellbeing of your shipmates. If he gets a 1-300 ship, I'll come looking!!!!!!!
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Chris,
    You do not understand. Stop it now. Vol's has a mountain of 1-1200 ships to do and he is to old to change. So start doing the Victory badly, Shop it looking so good. Or Barb will kill him. Think of the wellbeing of your shipmates. If he gets a 1-300 ship, I'll come looking!!!!!!!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hey! I resemble that "OLD" remark. The part about the wife.................OK. Point taken. Really just 82 ships to go, not insurmountable. But it would be sooooooooo nice to try one of these 1:300 ships with all of the crisp detail.......dreaming........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in.
    This is why I Hate Glue -- it won't stick when I want it to; it will stick when I *don't*.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    Be safe
    Rory
    Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Hey! I resemble that "OLD" remark. The part about the wife.................OK. Point taken. Really just 82 ships to go, not insurmountable. But it would be sooooooooo nice to try one of these 1:300 ships with all of the crisp detail.......dreaming........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Hi Vol, You really wouldn't want one of these 1:300 ships, they look much better in the photos than real life. 1:200 is definitely the way to go. If you don't believe me just ask Barb.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    This is why I Hate Glue -- it won't stick when I want it to; it will stick when I *don't*.
    I know what you mean, I use a ratio of 1 part glue and 3 parts swear words to make my models.

Mind you it does end up looking better than using sticky tape.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I know what you mean, I use a ratio of 1 part glue and 3 parts swear words to make my models.

Mind you it does end up looking better than using sticky tape.
    GLUE! 1 part glue is what has been missing from my formula.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    GLUE! 1 part glue is what has been missing from my formula.
    Paul,
    That 1 part gets on all the parts, but the part you wish to glue. Oh! and your fingers.
    Be unglued and safe
    Rory

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well, I have found using large amounts of Heated Language will melt the parts together.... ;)

"Welcome to 'Model-Building with R. Lee Ermey'...." >:)

But my plan would be to figure out how I could build the model such that the decks could be removed later, in the event stuff falls off.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Well, I have found using large amounts of Heated Language will melt the parts together.... ;)

"Welcome to 'Model-Building with R. Lee Ermey'...." >:)

But my plan would be to figure out how I could build the model such that the decks could be removed later, in the event stuff falls off.
    You would struggle with any Langton model, as everything interconnects, thus removing decking later would be almost impossible. If you ever wanted to try though, embedding small rare earth magnets into bits of the model, would enable you to hold things together, and remove them where necessary. some of these magnets can be extremely tiny, yet very strong. I think you can even warm them first and set them in in liquid form.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have just had a few days off work and discovered exactly why i am making this ship at work in the first place. I simply have no time at home. I thought i would bring a few bits home to work on, but didn't pick anything up once.

I was back at work again this morning though, so I have been able to add a little bit extra to the hull. The gammoning is now done on the bowsprit, the knights heads and boomkins are now attached, as are the fife rails on the forecastle. Bit by bit this model is inching forward.

Name:  photo 1 copy.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  526.6 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1531
Size:  676.2 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1427
Size:  566.2 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Nice close up shots to show how it's all coming together. Thanks for the continued postings!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If you ever wanted to try though, embedding small rare earth magnets into bits of the model,
    Bleh -- I hate those things almost as much as I hate Glue.

I'd have to see the instructions for the kit before figuring out if it was possible to make it "deconstructable".

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

She really is looking great, Chris.

Seeing the sails from one of your other ships in the background in the top closeup makes me wonder how she would photograph, when finished, with a scenic backdrop. Have you ever taken such photos?

Chris

When you finish this, would you post the approximate amount of time invested in this project?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    She really is looking great, Chris.

Seeing the sails from one of your other ships in the background in the top closeup makes me wonder how she would photograph, when finished, with a scenic backdrop. Have you ever taken such photos?
    Not really, I took these when i first made the USS wasp. I never got around to doing any of HMS Juno. (before anyone mentions it, i know the Wasp being a Yankee ship would not have had Royal Marines onboard, I took a bit of artistic licence there, though i never went as far as flying the Union Jack from her.)

Name:  Chris-Ship-5.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  97.3 KBName:  Chris-Ship-10.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  342.5 KBName:  IMG_0084.JPG
Views: 1427
Size:  498.9 KB

Though nearly all of the images you see on this thread are snaps from my iPhone while i'm sat at my desk. I am actually a professional photographer, though my pictures normally involve people or buildings rather than scale model ships. Once the Victory is finished i'll take some proper images of it, that can show it off properly.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Chris

When you finish this, would you post the approximate amount of time invested in this project?
    I'll do my best, but I'm already loosing track a little bit on how long I've spent on it so far.

Not really, I took these when i first made the USS wasp. I never got around to doing any of HMS Juno. (before anyone mentions it, i know the Wasp being a Yankee ship would not have had Royal Marines onboard, I took a bit of artistic licence there, though i never went as far as flying the Union Jack from her.)
    Actually you could be historically correct with British figures...and reflagging her with British colors. Wasp was captured by the British and served in the Royal Navy for a short time until she was lost at sea.

Here's a link with some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(1807)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Actually you could be historically correct with British figures...and reflagging her with British colors. Wasp was captured by the British and served in the Royal Navy for a short time until she was lost at sea.

Here's a link with some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(1807)
    I'm confused. Do we know if the Langton USS Wasp is the 1807 one or the 1813 one? I'm going to figure it's the one that became the HMS Peacock, but don't know that for certain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_%281814%29

Nevermind. I just checked Langton's website and the description fits for the 1807 sloop of war. The subsequent USS Wasp had a more illustrious career, but was also lost at sea.

You can tell by looking at the side view and number of gun ports. The 1813 Wasp was somewhat bigger than the 1807 Wasp. She carried 4 more 32-pounder carronades and a larger crew. Learning from the advantage of having of having big frigates, the United States built the new sloops during the War of 1812 to be bigger and better gunned than enemy sloops and able to outrun anything bigger than them.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I think i have just found someone who might eclipse all of our efforts in terms of time spent building 1 ship. This person spent 10 years making this model of the victory from scratch. This guy has even made the victory to how it was on January 19, 1805 at 3.45pm precisely. that's pretty impressive, though it does make my victory seem somewhat amateurish by comparison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-complete.html

Looking at that the skill used on that ship makes me feel like a kid playing with my toys.
    Wait a minute! I'll always be a kid playing with my toys.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I think i have just found someone who might eclipse all of our efforts in terms of time spent building 1 ship. This person spent 10 years making this model of the victory from scratch. This guy has even made the victory to how it was on January 19, 1805 at 3.45pm precisely. that's pretty impressive, though it does make my victory seem somewhat amateurish by comparison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-complete.html
    So Chris,
    You must try harder. It looks as if you have time. Around 9 and bit years. But Rod Langton has done a lot of the work for you. I would think you can work faster with his help on the start. eg no planking or sewing etc. to do. I do not want to pressure you. We are waiting.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Chris, thanks for sharing that story. That is very, very impressive. I hope his grandson appreciates the depth of sacrifice, and rewards his grandfather by busting his own backside on his education.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

So Chris,
    You must try harder. It looks as if you have time. Around 9 and bit years. But Rod Langton has done a lot of the work for you. I would think you can work faster with his help on the start. eg no planking or sewing etc. to do. I do not want to pressure you. We are waiting.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Well you do raise a good point. With all the planking and sewing etc done for me, i think i can shave a couple of years off the build time

Ive been really busy with work recently and progress has slowed a little but ive still been plodding forwards, I still intend to have this finished in the relatively near future though.

The most noticeable change is probably painting the gun ports from ochre to black. I'm not sure why i didn't paint them black to begin with now i think about it.

Also i have started painting some of the crew, i figure i'm going to need to start populating the ship before i go to much further into the build, otherwise i'll be breaking all sorts with my clumsy hands. when i try and add crew later. The crew you can see in the pictures so far is only about a third of the crew i ordered. If i can fit most of the crew i will, as i want the ship to look as crowded and alive as possible.

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  214.2 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  247.5 KB

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh! Chris,
    I think crew, lots of crew. I would say if you can, add more crew! She is looking good. If I had more space and money, I would buy into this scale. Alas I cannot on both points . So I thank you for letting me enjoy this model making thread second hand
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks Chris. From my vantage point, your large ship looks beautiful.

I can't imagine painting something like the 1:4800 in anything other than crude strokes in which the basics are painted, but details aren't. I am sure there are some here with the ability to do these justice, but I would probably do better leaving them as is. Rory, if you ever do one of these super small ones, please post some pics.

Best wishes on the Victory, Chris.
    Sorry Eric,
    Looking back at this thread and saw this post. No I have not done smaller scales, but would do than more than doing 1-300 scale.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Chris,
    I've been thinking about your loose cannon! Could you thread some cotton through the missing cannons gun ports and ran it to the waist. Tie the thread to barrel and pull it slowly back into place. Using tweezers to lift the cannon by the barrel and add glue to the deck with a cocktail stick. Hold down the gun in place with the tweezers. Just a thought.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Chris,
    I've been thinking about your loose cannon! Could you thread some cotton through the missing cannons gun ports and ran it to the waist. Tie the thread to barrel and pull it slowly back into place. Using tweezers to lift the cannon by the barrel and add glue to the deck with a cocktail stick. Hold down the gun in place with the tweezers. Just a thought.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hi Rory,

thats a great idea and probably have worked before i fitted the rail to the quarter deck. Its effectively blocked any aperture big enough to fit the cannon through. I have been contemplating shaving down the gun carriage, removing the wheels and inserting it through the gun port. I'm still waiting on Rob langton for the extra cannon before i can try this though as the kit came with two cannon missing. They have apparently already posted the cannon, so i should be able to try this soon.

Thanks for the idea though!

Chris

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh! Chris,
    I think crew, lots of crew. I would say if you can, add more crew! She is looking good. If I had more space and money, I would buy into this scale. Alas I cannot on both points . So I thank you for letting me enjoy this model making thread second hand
    Be safe
    Rory
    Any time. Do you think this will be enough crew for you? I'm actually thinking of ordering more climbing figures, as i would like to be able to have lots of crew on both the yards and the ratlines.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  204.4 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

One of the best Naval books ive ever read.

I probably shouldn't include this here as its a book review, but for some reason i can't remember how to start a new thread. I'll move this post when i remember how.

I have Read all of The O'Brian Books, all the Hornblower and the Pearce books plus numerous books on the history of war at sea and its tactics. I have recently had the pleasure of reading 'Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf' by Donald Thomas. Which i have to say is the best book i have read in years. I can't recommend this book highly enough. If this were fiction, most readers would struggle to believe it. The fact that this happened is amazing.

I loved O'Brian and will read it again one day, but it was almost disappointing to see so much of what i loved in the O'Brian books was exact copying of Thomas Cochrane's real life exploits. Most people know of Nelson, and less but still many know of the exploits of Sir Edward Pellew, I also Recommend -Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain,which is a great book too.

First buy Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf, it is a fantastic yet true tale of who i think is one of the best sea commanders that any navy has ever had. Napoleon himself called Cochrane "La loup de mer" (The Sea Wolf) His story is as fascinating and as varied as you can imagine. From battling the french fleet, Breaking out of english prison and marching into parliament, to leading his own navy, to planning on breaking out Napoleon from Elba to march on south america.

All i can say is read it and you will not be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Brita...a%27s+Sea+Wolf

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    Sorry I was late with my idea for you. About 740. She should of had around 800, But she was a little short-handed. O.K. some would be below decks, but a call of "ALL-HANDS" would bring most on deck and up the masts. Lots of crew, good luck.
    Be safe
    Rory
    P.S. 8 of which where women!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    Sorry I was late with my idea for you. About 740. She should of had around 800, But she was a little short-handed. O.K. some would be below decks, but a call of "ALL-HANDS" would bring most on deck and up the masts. Lots of crew, good luck.
    Be safe
    Rory
    P.S. 8 of which where women!
    I'll have to make sure to paint some skirts on some of the crew.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I'll have to make sure to paint some skirts on some of the crew.
    Some Green Stuff I think for skirts and no looking up them.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here are some updates of my 'HMS Victory' build. I have been a little busy this recent week so haven't been able to keep up to date with my posts, but i have still managed to make some progress. The Netting and hammocks are now installed, and most of the crew are now painted.

The next step will be to place the crew, before assembling the masts (masts are just resting in there seats at the moment and are not glued in.) If i can i would love to have this finished by october 21st, but i don't know if that might be an ambitious target as its coming up fast.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  216.6 KBName:  photo 3 copy.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  199.0 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wow! Looking really nice. Take your time and send photos when you can. After all, we have no expectations on any SoG stuff until sometime in November/December. This is the next best thing!

Impressive work Chris, and I wasnt aware they placed the hammocks and netting across the ship as well as down the sides so I've learnt something as well. Are you going to put the nets up for falling debris as well?

I probably shouldn't include this here as its a book review, but for some reason i can't remember how to start a new thread. I'll move this post when i remember how.

I have Read all of The O'Brian Books, all the Hornblower and the Pearce books plus numerous books on the history of war at sea and its tactics. I have recently had the pleasure of reading 'Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf' by Donald Thomas. Which i have to say is the best book i have read in years. I can't recommend this book highly enough. If this were fiction, most readers would struggle to believe it. The fact that this happened is amazing.

I loved O'Brian and will read it again one day, but it was almost disappointing to see so much of what i loved in the O'Brian books was exact copying of Thomas Cochrane's real life exploits. Most people know of Nelson, and less but still many know of the exploits of Sir Edward Pellew, I also Recommend -Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain,which is a great book too.

First buy Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf, it is a fantastic yet true tale of who i think is one of the best sea commanders that any navy has ever had. Napoleon himself called Cochrane "La loup de mer" (The Sea Wolf) His story is as fascinating and as varied as you can imagine. From battling the french fleet, Breaking out of english prison and marching into parliament, to leading his own navy, to planning on breaking out Napoleon from Elba to march on south america.

Read it, own it, you are 100% right about it.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Impressive work Chris, and I wasnt aware they placed the hammocks and netting across the ship as well as down the sides so I've learnt something as well. Are you going to put the nets up for falling debris as well?
    They understood "high-velocity fragments", and the effects thereof; and since they didn't have metal for armor....

In a later conflict a similar approach would be seen in steamers "armored" in cotton bales. Don't laugh -- it worked (see Second Battle of Galveston for details).

I've been reading a couple of books recently on the ACW at sea and the improvisations they used to fit out vessels. The Confederates were so short of iron they wrapped railway tracks onto woodensided vessels to "armour" them and basically bolted anything they could to the ship sides to protect the crew.

The cotton bales are a throw back in concept to similar earth filled bundles used for protection on land for centuries. I'm not sure what a cotton bale weighed but the cotton fibres would have formed a lattice network spreading in different directions in the bale allowing the capture of splinters and disspitation of force of projecticles hitting them. Very inventive.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Wow! Looking really nice. Take your time and send photos when you can. After all, we have no expectations on any SoG stuff until sometime in November/December. This is the next best thing!
    Thats true, if there is one thing we all have to have on this site with SOG its patience, however I do still like the idea of the Victory being finished for Trafalgar day. Finished or not though, i have started adding gun crews and have now added Nelson and Hardy to the poop deck (derived from the Latin 'puppis', meaning the stern of a ship), so she can at least defend herself against rogue office paperwork.

Views: 981
Size:  193.6 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I've been reading a couple of books recently on the ACW at sea and the improvisations they used to fit out vessels. The Confederates were so short of iron they wrapped railway tracks onto woodensided vessels to "armour" them and basically bolted anything they could to the ship sides to protect the crew.

The cotton bales are a throw back in concept to similar earth filled bundles used for protection on land for centuries. I'm not sure what a cotton bale weighed but the cotton fibres would have formed a lattice network spreading in different directions in the bale allowing the capture of splinters and disspitation of force of projecticles hitting them. Very inventive.
    Absolutely, they were also very useful for protection from musket fire. Though i think musket fire still counts as hish velocity fragments.
    Bosuns mates sometimes held metal hoops when stowing hammocks in the netting and if a mans rolled hammock didn't fit through the hoop he would be made to roll it again, i guess the tight compression added better protection.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the latest picture of the Victory. Good to see Nelson and Hardy both in command!

Thats true, if there is one thing we all have to have on this site with SOG its patience, however I do still like the idea of the Victory being finished for Trafalgar day. Finished or not though, i have started adding gun crews and have now added Nelson and Hardy to the poop deck (derived from the Latin 'puppis', meaning the stern of a ship), so she can at least defend herself against rogue office paperwork.

Views: 981
Size:  193.6 KB

My God! I really envy your skill. To get as far as you have, would take me six months, at least. And I doubt if the end result would look near as good as yours.
    Please keep sharing.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It helped that most cannons were still firing ball ammo -- big, blunt, and relatively slow. Conical shells would have ripped apart a cottonclad in moments (assuming the Union contractors weren't f***ing with the ammo -- the crew of CSS _Alabama_ reported after sinking USS _Hatteras_ that the "dud" shell found in the sternpost was a dud because instead of being filled with black powder, it was filled with black-painted *sand*...).

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I just ordered it and this book on Cochrane - http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Cochrane-...pd_sim_sbs_b_2

Thanks for the recommendation. amazon had both for $0.01 apiece in very good condition. Many other inexpensive copies remain.

As to your ship, Chris, she is looking great with the crew. I can't wait to see her completed.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    My God! I really envy your skill. To get as far as you have, would take me six months, at least. And I doubt if the end result would look near as good as yours.
    Please keep sharing.
    Thank you for the kind comments. I in turn am constantly amazed by the skill of some of the models made by others on this site. Take Jim's 1:1200 HMS Victory. Its great fun to make though and I have really been enjoying the experience, plus it helps to pass the time while i wait for SOG to arrive.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I just ordered it and this book on Cochrane - http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Cochrane-...pd_sim_sbs_b_2

Thanks for the recommendation. amazon had both for $0.01 apiece in very good condition. Many other inexpensive copies remain.

As to your ship, Chris, she is looking great with the crew. I can't wait to see her completed.
    A bargain! I paid a penny for mine as well when i bought it, though the postage often ends up being several pounds (or dollars), to make up for the penny price. Nevertheless, its a fantastic read, you are in for a treat! I'm sure Vol will agree.

I also bought mine for a penny plus postage from Amazon.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well thats all the crew boarded now, other than the topmen. Next step is to assemble the masts and bend on the sails now.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  176.9 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  194.3 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  121.7 KB