Thread: GenCon Day 1

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default GenCon Day 1

Some pictures for all of you who might be waiting to see the final production ships. I was pleasantly surprised to see the mat there too, but as it turns out this is not the final version. The lines are printed too thick for the designers so they will be narrowed on the final production mats.

Unfortunately, I did not get a change to demo the game, but there's always tomorrow. Only one guy that I saw was actively running a spot for four players. If there are any specific shots you'd like me to take let me know before tomorrow and I'll do my best.

The ships are awesome and are really crowd pleasers. I met quite a few other KS folks who wanted to see the game in person. The enthusiasm for the game was very much in evidence.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 15:57.

Wow they have done a lot of work on detail on the ships, the ships boats are especially nice

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Very nice indeed. I haven't seen the perspex sheets on the ships before, they make the ships look munch nicer than just cardboard, almost as if they are on a glassy sea. Its really nice to see what the game mats are starting to look like as well.

It looks like everything is really starting to come together now. After not having any updates from Ares for a while now, its nice to see some progress. I can't wait until it all arrives. whenever that might eventually be.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    Very nice indeed. I haven't seen the perspex sheets on the ships before, they make the ships look munch nicer than just cardboard, almost as if they are on a glassy sea. Its really nice to see what the game mats are starting to look like as well.

It looks like everything is really starting to come together now. After not having any updates from Ares for a while now, its nice to see some progress. I can't wait until it all arrives. whenever that might eventually be.
    They are still sticking with an "end of September" delivery from the printer. How long it takes from there to us might still be up in the air?

Oh, I did ask about Spanish ships and they said there will be some in wave 3 or 4? I didn't want to bombard them with questions, but I got the impression that we'll eventually see the Santissima Trinidad. I have to say that made my day (on top of seeing the ships live for the first time).

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    They are still sticking with an "end of September" delivery from the printer. How long it takes from there to us might still be up in the air?

Oh, I did ask about Spanish ships and they said there will be some in wave 3 or 4? I didn't want to bombard them with questions, but I got the impression that we'll eventually see the Santissima Trinidad. I have to say that made my day (on top of seeing the ships live for the first time).
    That will be fun with the victory and the Santissima Trinidad. Looking forward to seeing how the big 1st rates will look.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The ships are looking much better! I'm glad to see they went with the black grid on the maps. And those grids are much thicker then the art sample I was sent. It's also really nice to see the final bases used on the ships.

Thanks for taking the time to share these1

Nice pictures, Jim!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Have fun Jim. Thank you for the tantalizing photos.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The ships seem markedly better than the ones we saw at Origins. Much more excited to receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moideeb View Post
    I haven't seen the perspex sheets on the ships before, they make the ships look munch nicer than just cardboard, almost as if they are on a glassy sea.
    They look more complete now, more gamer-oriented and less toyish.

That map has me totally jazzed. I'm wishing even more than before I'd got a fourth map. The black grid idea is brilliant.

The clear sheet over the ship card is an effective touch.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I was able to get over to the Ares SoG event after we destroyed the Zepplin this evening; it was a very enjoyable WoG event. I took tons of photos of the 4 vs. 4. I will try to get some photos up tomorrow if folks want them? I was impressed how quickly people got the basics down. Granted this was basic rules only, but even so there wasn't a lot of confusion. The only thing that might have been a slight issue was players taking a little too long to plot maneuvers?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The game looks great in your photographs!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Looking good. Yes, the model detail is even better than the earlier pre production ones and the paint jobs much sharper. The packaging looks pretty robustcand well protecting too. Fingers crossed we will have these in the UK for Colours in a month :)

Jim, great pix. Thanks for sharing!
    Have fun.

In the picture of the stern of the HMS Concorde there is a cut in at the centre of the base just below the N of Concorde and another for the bow, are these for alignment of the maneuvre cards?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I wonder if they're to lift up the plastic to replace the ship card as well.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    In the picture of the stern of the HMS Concorde there is a cut in at the centre of the base just below the N of Concorde and another for the bow, are these for alignment of the maneuvre cards?
    Yes, it's to help with aligning the card. Since the bases are not clear like in Wings, this is very handy.

I am an instant fan of the mat design. I am wondering how multiple mats will go together with the grid markings.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I pointed out some limitations to lining up mats in different ways when Ares sent me the near finalized artwork for feedback. I'm not sure if they acted on those or not. I can see that two of my suggestions made it to the final image we see here.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Question... why is there a 74 on Courageuse's base? :P

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

My guess would be the wrong ship was put on it.

Jim, If you read this on time, can you take a picture of the bottom of the ship and the base without a ship on it?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

OK -- who's going to be the first to carve out those vertical support sections behind the sails? :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    OK -- who's going to be the first to carve out those vertical support sections behind the sails? :)
    I was thinking that if we get good enough ratlines and a little grey paint they wont even show?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Since I ordered three sets of everything, I expect to ruin a few sets of sail.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Jim, If you read this on time, can you take a picture of the bottom of the ship and the base without a ship on it?
    Here's what I got, Ed. I hope it's what you were looking for? I might add that everyone at Ares Games is incredibly helpful and gracious as I keep coming back to ask more questions, take more pictures and generally hang out like a fan boy.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-21-2014 at 16:03.

The pictures are exactly what I wanted.
    Thanks. Owe you a beer.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Sorry All,
    Its the masts and the sails, that rub me up the wrong way. As I'm here The toy brick coloured bases too. If they are doing the mat finer why not the base. I like the hulls. The boxes look O.K. too, if you do not wish to rig them.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hi Rory,

Having seen so many pictures here, lately, of Langton and other builds, I can see how the bases would be considered a disappointment. I noticed it on the last set of pictures here - they look somewhat Lego-ish, if that makes sense. I don't know how noticeable it is when in an actual game. The bird's-eye view of the battle in the first set of pictures makes me think once the game is in play, and people are looking at the table from that angle, it won't be too bad, but time will tell. One thing I definitely like about the bases is that I think these will be far easier to pickup and move than the WoG bases.

I am not sure, given the use of the ship card, what Ares could have done differently with the bases. If you were to receive these, as is, is there some way you would improve them? Would you repaint the sides and top to give them a bit more model feel? If an improvement is relatively easy, I would give it a try.

As for the boxes, I have a feeling that customized storage will be widely used. I imagine that the folks who will add rigging are the same folks who will want a storage system that is personalized, that fits their need for transporting, etc., and something that doesn't take up quite as much space. I think for an initial purchase of the game, the boxes are quite nice, and help keep the ships secure and safe.

I am excited to see how folks will customize the game, whether in ship painting, storage, or house rules. There is a lot of talent and creativity in this community.

Could you not mount the ship card in a thin perspex sleeve, cut off the prong under the ship and "glue" it to the new base. It would then sit virtually on the mat, would be much thinner and might look less Lego like?

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

If you look closely at picture No 4 post 27 you can see where someone has painted the the plastic, between the mast and the sail, grey. And I may add they were a bit sloppy with the paint, see pic No 1 of post 27, 1 splodge of grey paint top right beside the orange line.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    I'm Going around in circles With "GenCon day 1" and "GenCon day 2". Can some one put them together? (and Jim for doing this)

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Rory,

Having seen so many pictures here, lately, of Langton and other builds, I can see how the bases would be considered a disappointment. I noticed it on the last set of pictures here - they look somewhat Lego-ish, if that makes sense. I don't know how noticeable it is when in an actual game. The bird's-eye view of the battle in the first set of pictures makes me think once the game is in play, and people are looking at the table from that angle, it won't be too bad, but time will tell. One thing I definitely like about the bases is that I think these will be far easier to pickup and move than the WoG bases.

I am not sure, given the use of the ship card, what Ares could have done differently with the bases. If you were to receive these, as is, is there some way you would improve them? Would you repaint the sides and top to give them a bit more model feel? If an improvement is relatively easy, I would give it a try.

As for the boxes, I have a feeling that customized storage will be widely used. I imagine that the folks who will add rigging are the same folks who will want a storage system that is personalized, that fits their need for transporting, etc., and something that doesn't take up quite as much space. I think for an initial purchase of the game, the boxes are quite nice, and help keep the ships secure and safe.

I am excited to see how folks will customize the game, whether in ship painting, storage, or house rules. There is a lot of talent and creativity in this community.
    Oh! Eric,
    I love Lego-ish, That is the word. I would scrap the bases full-stop. And use a template over the ship for movement and firing. Or maybe thin colour lines around the side edge of a thin base for movement and a Perspex template for firing, as in the rules all ships have the same firing arc. I think in the end all will handle the ships and not the bases (see my album "pick me up") or slide them. The movement cards end up under the base after each move, but come away easily after the ship has moved. As David would say "IMHO" you do not need the Lego-ish base.
    If you do not wish to add to the ship, I think the boxes are O.K. and will stand a lot of banging around.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Could you not mount the ship card in a thin perspex sleeve, cut off the prong under the ship and "glue" it to the new base. It would then sit virtually on the mat, would be much thinner and might look less Lego like?
    Daniel,
    A member of this group is working on an idea like you have said. I await too see the finished base with very high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    If you look closely at picture No 4 post 27 you can see where someone has painted the the plastic, between the mast and the sail, grey. And I may add they were a bit sloppy with the paint, see pic No 1 of post 27, 1 splodge of grey paint top right beside the orange line.
    Gaz,
    I thought so to. Like the idea, so we are not alone in not liking that bit. Sad it must be done. A little man/woman and I hope not child. must glue the mast to a hull and after painting put it in a box. Could not a man/woman and I hope not child have glued a sail set to a mast. It must be easier to mould two flattish bits than one bumpy bit. I know some one will shout COST!

Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 08-17-2013 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Oh! Eric,
    I love Lego-ish, That is the word. I would scrap the bases full-stop. And use a template over the ship for movement and firing. Or maybe thin colour lines around the side edge of a thin base for movement and a Perspex template for firing, as in the rules all ships have the same firing arc. I think in the end all will handle the ships and not the bases (see my album "pick me up") or slide them. The movement cards end up under the base after each move, but come away easily after the ship has moved. As David would say "IMHO" you do not need the Lego-ish base.
    I would rather have the "Lego-ish" base than have movement cards cluttering up the playing field throughout the game.
    But the base thickness could be cut about 40% and still be picked up easily, especially if the base was angled bottom to top like an upside down WoW base.

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

Jim - thanks for the pictures, and enjoy the rest of the convention.

I suspect we will see a divide between "Gamers" and "Modellers" (I know, I know its simplistic)

Rory - you being an example of a modeller - care about the aesthetics of the paint job on the masts

Me - I am a Gamer (well actually a simulation-ist, but not for age of sale periods)
    a bit of cardboard with a picture of a ship on it is a good start - getting 3D models, is just a nice add on.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

For what it's worth I will tell you that I really dislike the WoG bases after doing two Wings events in two days. They're hard to pick up and they slide very easily.

While you might be able to reduce the thickness of the SoG bases I sure hope they don't. They are much easier to move and line up with the cards. One comment I did overhear was someone's issue with the band thickness of the wind maneuver colors on the bases. They wanted them to be thicker and they may also have had issues related to color blindness?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

For what it's worth I will tell you that I really dislike the WoG bases after doing two Wings events in two days. They're hard to pick up and they slide very easily.

While you might be able to reduce the thickness of the SoG bases I sure hope they don't. They are much easier to move and line up with the cards. One comment I did overhear was someone's issue with the band thickness of the wind maneuver colors on the bases. They wanted them to be thicker and they may also have had issues related to color blindness?
    Besides the built in altitude rings, that's one of the big advantages of the bases I offer via Aerodrome Accessories. They have flat sides which are much easier to grip. The first peg also slides in from the bottom, so it can not fall out if you do pick it up by the pegs.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Besides the built in altitude rings, that's one of the big advantages of the bases I offer via Aerodrome Accessories. They have flat sides which are much easier to grip. The first peg also slides in from the bottom, so it can not fall out if you do pick it up by the pegs.
    If I get into WoG those would be 'must buy'. The flat sides and set peg are great ideas!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

If I get into WoG those would be 'must buy'. The flat sides and set peg are great ideas!
    "If you get into WoG" That's funny. Look at the crowd you're running with. You'll be in a cockpit before too long Jim.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    "If you get into WoG" That's funny. Look at the crowd you're running with. You'll be in a cockpit before too long Jim.
    After all, it's only natural... you are already flying ships! lol

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    After all, it's only natural... you are already flying ships! lol
    It's probably already happened. Someone in the dealer hall had "Wings of War" WW2 stuff on clearance this afternoon. I wasn't going to do WW2, but they had the starter set for $12 and planes for $7. You can probably guess the rest of the story? lol.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Smile

$$$

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I would rather have the "Lego-ish" base than have movement cards cluttering up the playing field throughout the game.
    But the base thickness could be cut about 40% and still be picked up easily, especially if the base was angled bottom to top like an upside down WoW base.
    Ed,
    In the games I saw and the one game I played. At no time was there movement cards left on the game table. You pick one movement card for each ship from it's own deck (at times your choice is limited). You pick one ship to move. lay the card in front of the ship (sometimes behind). Move the ship onto the card. Slide the card out from under the ship and back into the deck ready for the next turn. At no time did the card stay on the table. The base "Lego-ish" or not, only shows the start point and end of the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Jim - thanks for the pictures, and enjoy the rest of the convention.

I suspect we will see a divide between "Gamers" and "Modellers" (I know, I know its simplistic)

Rory - you being an example of a modeller - care about the aesthetics of the paint job on the masts

Me - I am a Gamer (well actually a simulation-ist, but not for age of sale periods)
    a bit of cardboard with a picture of a ship on it is a good start - getting 3D models, is just a nice add on.
    Avi,
    I love games, If I wargame I do like to see painted figures on the table. I do not like to see undone figures on a table. If Ares made SOG a game with cardboard ships. I for one would be very happy to buy and play it as a game. But the only way I can play this game is to put aside my "nice add on"s for poorer not so"nice add on"s for me. I think the models are O.K. I have said this so many times.
    So I will help you all the best I can. I may play the odd game with some one else set. I will not buy a game that says I must put aside 2-3 years work and many £'s of models, just to make a games maker happy. But you must enjoy your games, if it had come out some years ago. I to would think "just a nice add on" too and buy it.
    Be safe
    Rory

Judging the bases on these photos is a little weird. Their thickness seems OK in some photos and in others seems like they could stand to be cut in half. The clear top is definitely nice, though. I guess we'll get a better idea when we get them. I'm wondering if maybe putting a square of velvet on the bottoms of the bases would be a good idea so they slide easily.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If I get into WoG
    So true. Now, about Ares' War of the Ring ...

It would be nice if the bases were inverted. Unlike what has been said about picking up ships by their masts, we have not had luck picking up the planes by anything but the bases. Keith's bases really are nice. I was very impressed with them at Origins.

It's probably already happened. Someone in the dealer hall had "Wings of War" WW2 stuff on clearance this afternoon. I wasn't going to do WW2, but they had the starter set for $12 and planes for $7. You can probably guess the rest of the story? lol.
    I never played WWII, but at Origins, I watched some of the games and spoke with some of the players. I had vowed never to get into WWII. I left Origins with one of the card box sets and the card booster packs. One generous member sent me the remaining card box set. I vowed I would not buy planes, but simply stick to cards. By the end of July, I had 64 planes.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    So true. Now, about Ares' War of the Ring ...
    Still working on reading up on the subject. Have yet to commit to a game.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Just got home from GenCon. I have a few pictures as well, but it looks like you covered it very well. It was great meeting you Jim, thanks for stopping by the booth!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Just got home from GenCon. I have a few pictures as well, but it looks like you covered it very well. It was great meeting you Jim, thanks for stopping by the booth!
    Was very nice to meet you as well. Of course I went to the wrong booth initially and I'm sure they thought I crazy. But it's GenCon and everyone's crazy. I hope you recover from the four days? I think it was the busiest and biggest GenCon I've attended in years.

And please do post your pictures!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

Thanks for the pictures. Looking at the pieces has confirmed want to stain the sails for more definition. I am glad to see that the design of the Wind Gauge was tweaked at little more, or it has more detail than I remember. Maybe a fancy Wind Gauge for aerodrome sales.